• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PRE-OP DIET HELP?

NovaL

Hi All, any advice on tackling this diet? I started on the 30th and so far I have lost about 1kg (2lbs), just completed my third day - almost. However I do feel I have been doing minor cheats, I have not eaten anything that is not on the list, I have been juice free and only drinking water. However my bad points are: ketchup,mayonnaise, skin on chicken, teaspoon of sugar in tea and maybe heaping my tablespoons of carbs instead of minimally adding them. Any advice???

Are these things on your list, if they aren't then you need to stop!

Its not worth putting the op in jeopardy over it :)

My advice is stick to the list and don't try for loop holes. It's important... Good luck

My advice is stick to the list and don't try for loop holes. It's important... Good luck

I'll second that. If your cheating now, you will struggle to make the lifelong changes needed post op.

If you can't stick to the rules before your surgery, how are you going to do it for the rest of your life post surgery? Don't do it, it's not worth it.

Follow the rules..if you can't do it now you won't do it post op and you will not see the results you want. You have to be committed to this its a life long choice. Your pre op diet is to shrink your liver to make it safe to operate. Please follow the diet for a few weeks..I know it's hard we all had to do it but it's medical advice. Good luck ...

I cannit stress enough about following the LSD your given its tough but so worth it when you wake up after the surgery having stuck to the rules, I had a slip up on my LSD and the worry of not having the surgery was just too much and I wouldn't wish that grief on anyone especially after all the hard work you have put yourself through to get to this point

Hi All, any advice on tackling this diet? I started on the 30th and so far I have lost about 1kg (2lbs), just completed my third day - almost. However I do feel I have been doing minor cheats, I have not eaten anything that is not on the list, I have been juice free and only drinking water. However my bad points are: ketchup,mayonnaise, skin on chicken, teaspoon of sugar in tea and maybe heaping my tablespoons of carbs instead of minimally adding them. Any advice???

What sort of pre-op diet were you given? I know that the one I was on didn't allow any of the things you mention above. Were you given a list of foods to eat? If you were, generally unless something is explicitly mentioned on the list you can't have it.

The dodgiest things you mention above are teaspoons of sugar and ketchup - the whole point of the pre-op diet is to get your liver to dump glycogen and thereby shrink in size so that it doesn't get in the way of where they're trying to operate. Carbs (i.e. simple and complex sugars) cause the liver to store glycogen which is obviously the total opposite of what the surgeon wants to achieve.

Back