• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PRE OP DIET PREFERENCE

BlueDiamond

Hello everyone.

I received my pre op diet sheet today, and I have been given the choice of either milk diet or low carb diet, after reading it several times I cannot seem to make my mind up to do which one:rolleyes:.

On the one hand I think milk diet easier in knowing what you can and cant have, but without food, and on the other hand I am thinking ...mmmm well I still be able to have food BUT am thinking is 3 tablespoons of cereal gonna be enough to fill me up or one slice of toast for brekkie etc...... I am looking for people that have done either of the pre op diets on how it made u feel and how u coped and also are they both effective , or is one more effective in shrinking the liver then the other..........then maybe a light will click on upstairs (yes I do have a brain :D) and it will enable me to make the choice one and for all.

Thanks in advance for reading;)
All the best - MeJulie x x

julie
i have done the low card diet and lost 26lb, i never feel hungry and you can have the a sachet of oats so simple for breakie which is a bit more than 3 tablespoons so as soon as i heard that i have stuck to that and had one of my fruit portions in it , that being raisins x

also recommend you buy aunt sallys roast pots and mash and just get out the amount you should have then you not tempted to have more.

Also use lots of herbs and spices so things are not so bland x

please message me if you think i could help you more x

Hi, I personally think the low carb diet is easier, have you ever tried the slimming world diet, it would be quite similar to the 'red day' high in protein and low in carbs. A friend of mine did the milk diet and she said it was the hardest thing she ever had to do. I did find the low carb diet tricky but soon got use to it, why dont you try milk for one day say tomorrow and low carb the next day and see which you think you would find easier. At least try them before you start it properly to give you an idea!

Good luck

Jaffa

Now I'm in the other camp and found the milk diet much easier to do. The main reason being that it took away all temptation of just having that extra spoonful... or two, or three... which I knew would most likely happen. Plus I often had a craving for something sweet after my evening meal which would have been difficult to resist.

For those 4 weeks, plus 2 weeks post-op, I no longer had to worry about planning meals or what to have for dinner etc. My son took complete charge of preparing & cooking his own dinners during this time and it was fantastic!!! :D

The hardest part was during the first 2-3 days as I'll be honest, you do feel hungry but it soon passes and you then get into a routine of having, in my case, SF milk shakes, SF jellies made with milk, mug of chicken bovril and a mug of milky cocoa before bed. Oh, and unlimited black coffee & Ribena RL.

If you're unsure you could do what I set out to do and that is start your first week on milk and if you find you're struggling then move onto low-carb the following week. I was happy to stay on the milk diet so never ended up trying low-carb.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do :) x

I agree with Twiggie, I have found the milk diet is much easier because you know you can't have any food so the temptation is not there.

i'm pre op but will def go for the liquid only as i know that as soon as i start eating thats it, & i'm the same need something sweet after dinner, i shall personally play safe & go all out liquid, good luck with whichever one u decided to go for

Thanks to all those that replied, I still cant make me mind up , but I got some time yet.......but your advice is most appreciated.

I understand your predicament, as at some point I will have to make that choice too. I'm leaning towards the milk diet because it would take away all decisions regarding food, meaning I wouldn't be able to make bad choices, and also as Twiggie knowingly pointed out....it means I won't be able to sneak in an extra spoonful or whatever. It's hard though isn't it, to decide what is best. The only thing I can suggest is really appraise your own personal eating habits to work out which would be best for you xx

I understand your predicament, as at some point I will have to make that choice too. I'm leaning towards the milk diet because it would take away all decisions regarding food, meaning I wouldn't be able to make bad choices, and also as Twiggie knowingly pointed out....it means I won't be able to sneak in an extra spoonful or whatever. It's hard though isn't it, to decide what is best. The only thing I can suggest is really appraise your own personal eating habits to work out which would be best for you xx

Hi Angie

Thanks for your input. I feel like that myself, I only have to do the pre op diet for two weeks anyway, and I totally understand where you are coming from , when u due to start your pre op diet?

Not sure yet :(... I have my group meeting next Wednesday (yay, really excited) & my pre-op on the 20th of July :)happy036:...even more excited), so hopefully I will get a date soon afterwards. Of course I'd like it tomorrow but must be patient! I'm definitely in the zone at the minute though, I have been excellent (food wise) the last 3 weeks & I've even started an exercise regime as I'd like to lose as much weight as I can now & get a bit fitter so I will make a much quicker recovery after the op.

Not sure yet :(... I have my group meeting next Wednesday (yay, really excited) & my pre-op on the 20th of July :)happy036:...even more excited), so hopefully I will get a date soon afterwards. Of course I'd like it tomorrow but must be patient! I'm definitely in the zone at the minute though, I have been excellent (food wise) the last 3 weeks & I've even started an exercise regime as I'd like to lose as much weight as I can now & get a bit fitter so I will make a much quicker recovery after the op.

Good luck for your pre op and you never know we might be doing the pre op diet together :D

Hi, I'm on my pre op milk diet now and have been for 9 days, and finding it really easy. All temptation is taking away from you re dealing with food, I'm loving the milky coffee's, and really love the taste of bovril, not once have I been hungry. Good luck on making a choice. xx

hi was just reading this as i seen around the site talk of the milk diet

what is the milk diet ??
what does it involve ??

can some1 tell me where i would find the details of the milk diet

thanks david xx

i was on the milk diet to lose my 5% body weight. but for my pre op diet im on the low carb, the milk diet is ok but it made me feel sick and have headaches and upset my stomach, so now i am sort of doing my own diet i have 1/2pint of milk 2 yogurts low fat, and then something like an omelette which has very little carbs, and i try and drink at least 1.5 litres of fluid im not having anymore than 40g of carbs aday as its the not eating the carbs that shrink your liver. and i find the milk diet contradict's the carb theory, as if you have 1 pint of ss milk there are 28g of carbs in it .. so how can that shrink the liver as much as the low carb diet.....plus it is nice to be able to eat a bit of food . and when you know you need to shrink your liver for the op its weird how strick you can be. im a terriable picker but on this i am totally sticking to it ...,.

i find the milk diet contradict's the carb theory, as if you have 1 pint of ss milk there are 28g of carbs in it .. so how can that shrink the liver as much as the low carb diet.....

There are lots of different kind of carbs, some good, some bad. The body needs certain ones to function and the carbs found in milk are natural sugars, lactose, which will provide energy when the glycogen stores are depleted.

The hospital team have fully researched the diets they recommend to us, they don't just make this stuff up for the fun of it. It's wise to strictly follow whatever diet you've been given to receive adequate nutrients and ensure you're body is as healthy as possible prior to surgery.

If you're having problems with certain foods on your list then go back to your dietician for advice on replacements.

I'm on my last day of the milk diet (op tomorrow) and although the first 2 days were really really hard I have got through it.

If I had been given the choice I would have probably done the milk anyway as temptation can lead to failure.

xx

Back