• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op milk diet - silly question

slimmerkay

What does the milk diet consist of?

LOL - Milk obviously! But how much, when, how long etc.

I assume it's a little different in each individuals case but just a general idea?

mine is

3 pts of semi skimmed milk a day
2 fat free low sugar yogurts (mullerlight/ski)
1 oxo cube in water

then after a few days, they told me i could have a couple of sugar free jellies too.

i can have fruit squashes (sugar free) tea/coffee no sugar (but can use sweetner), water, flavoured water.

oh and ive had to do mine for 2 weeks.

they told me i cold do 10 days at first, as i was having surgery really soon & they didnt think i could fit it in. but i got a dietitian call me so i managed to get 13 days in.

you have mr ammori too, so maybe we'll be on the same diet?
although you're bypass & im band

xx

Oh wow you have my consultant too! Well I haven't seen him yet - just been referred to him. What is he like?

Are you going in to Alexandra Hospital?

Hi mine is 5 pts of semi skimmed milk (although I usually have 3 or 4), 1 pt of sugar free jelly (not having that at the moment as am fed up of it), 1 or 2 oxo cubes, 1 or 2 fybogel, a multi-vitamin tablet and at least 2 pints of diet/sugar free drinks/water.

I had to have
4 pints milk
1 oxo drink
and 1 sf jelly of needed
and that was for 2 weeks

Thanks for that. See you're nearly done. Was it awful?

its not been easy, but its something that has to be done, and i figured i could just get on with it & keep myself busy for 2 weeks or i could sulk & moan all the way through.
if you want to do it, you will.
dont get me wrong, i have had a moan too, and been craving olives & eggs, but its nearly over with now.
also, ive done the cambridge diet a couple of times so ive been used to a liquid only diet before

Oh wow you have my consultant too! Well I haven't seen him yet - just been referred to him. What is he like?

Are you going in to Alexandra Hospital?

hes a really lovely guy, made me feel comfortable & hes got a good sense of humour too.

if you go to the search function at the top & put his name in, you'll find lots of great things being said about him on here.

and no im going to spire at whalley range, ive gone through surgicare as im not nhs

mine is
2 -3 pints semi skimmed milk

2 diet yoghurts

3-4 portions fruit

sugar free jelly (optional)

low calorie vegetable soup in moderation

+ water, tea, coffee, low calorie squashes

and 1 small glass of fruit juice (tomato, orange or pineapple)

sounds positively lush! :rolleyes:

Thanks ladies.

I was thinking of trying it to lose some weight beforehand. Maybe just one week. Is that advisable?

i think theyll tell you how long they want you to do it for.
i see some do it for a week/10 days/14 days...but i reckon its best to just stick with what your consultant tells you.

I had to do it to loose 5% of my body weight before they would put me through for surgery. Then I have had to do it for 3 weeks before my surgery. It is up to you whether you want to give it a go but I have done it 3 times now as I did it under my local obesity clinic and it was easiest the first time I did it.

I have been advised to do it for a wk (i'm doing slimfast pre op) but i'm going to go for 10 days i think just for my own piece of mind!!

Thanks ladies.

I was thinking of trying it to lose some weight beforehand. Maybe just one week. Is that advisable?

In my opinion, and I'm not a doctor or your consultant, if your starting BMI has been recorded by your team then the more weight you can lose before your op the better. It will pay enormous dividends, especially during the post-op recovery phase. It will after all be your last diet and without the fear of it going back on.

Good luck. xx

Thanks guys :D

Started a one week milk diet today. But it's been a stressful day and I gutted the house to relieve the stress and stop me getting angrier with hubby. I'm not sure all that exercise helped with the not eating anything.

I've felt very nauseous and light headed and had a terrible headache.

So, those that have previously done the milk diet, do those sypmtoms normally lessen after a couple of days?

Karen I haven't done the milk diet (YET :D) , but I do fast completely from time to time..headaches are horrible....can be down to dehydration or caffeine/tanin withdrawal if you usually drink lots of tea or coffee and then suddenly stop.

It gets better if you persevere.

oooo charis why do you do that hun? xx

fasting

Hi Kelly

it's a Christian thing. I sometimes fast for a day or two....just drink water, juice and the occasional Lady Grey tea (coz I love the stuff!)

Charis xxx

Back