• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op nerves and trepidations

MiniMinx

Hi all,

I never expected this time to come. I have a pre-assessment on Monday for a gastric band -I wish they would take me in then and there and get it over and done.

Most of my nerves are evolving about my life after the band and I don't know what is to be expected. I have no intention of telling anyone about this procedure apart from close family as I don't want anyone judging me.

My issue is this- I am a teacher and taking time off to have fills etc is going to be a real issue. I don't want to tell work what I am having done as I don't want them to think 'oh the fat girl who needs help is having an op'. If I tell my boss the truth I think there is 80% chance of her telling someone else.

I need to think of an excuse that would require me to visit the hospital from time to time for the fills. Any ideas anyone?

I ve heard the nhs usually do the op within three months of the pre assessment is that right?

Thanks everyone, nice talking to people who understand.

Hi Mini :)

You could tell them you have an ailment, that requires a course of treatment e.g:

Gallstones
Dental treatment (impacted wisdom teeth)
Giving blood

Double check things as you maybe able to fit fills in around the hollibobs :)

xx

A lot of the providers will do infills on an evening or after school, I had my first infill during February half term school holidays, as I am a mature student who has returned to finish my degree. I told uni that I had a hernia and the same with the place that I work, the hospital note will just say that you had a medical procedure and will not say what you had done. I had my band on 5th January and it feels great to be able to buy clothes again for a normal shop without having to order on line. Good luck with your consultation x

Hi welcome and congrats on making the right decisions for you hun :) I'm sure fill can be arranged at your convenience or as the others have said a little white fib wont hurt anyone, i would be the same tbh. The wait is agonising so can understand the 'take me in and do it now' comment lol just stay strong and focused you come such a long way already this is just the final few hurdles now. With regards to times once your on the waiting list its 18 weeks tops (i believe they are fined over 18 weeks) wishing you all the very best on your journey x x x you'll be fine Ps i was banded 6th feb

Hi, Miniminx, I also work in school and am having my op soon, I have informed my school that I'm going into hospital for a minor operation, didn't say what, told them I'd be off about a week, which of course is covered by self certificate. My G.P is aware I'm having the operation and is supporting me, although I have to go private, So if I need more time off for any reason, she'll write me a line going along the lines of what I've told them. As someone said I would imagine you could have your fills out of school hours, probably weekends too, this is what I plan to do. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

Back