• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op nerves.

Paula Garner

Hi all, it's now 18 days till D day and the beginning of a new chapter in my life. What I'd like to ask is did anyone get a feeling of dread/impending doom before their surgery? Starting to get really anxious and worried now :-/

Oh yes absolutely. My mood was everywhere in the lead up, especially the 2 week on the pre op. It's a very scary thing, you are starting a new way of life and of course the surgery it's self is a worry. Everything you feel of the next 18 days is completely normal. I think when you've waited as long as you have it's also hard to believe it is going to happen. Let yourself feel the emotions but stay focused on the prize. It's very much worth everything you've put in so far and have to over the next few weeks. If you think about this time in the grand scheme of you life - the life you will get because of your bypass, it's not very long at all. So yes it's all completely natural but this bit will be over sooner than you think and the worry will be replaced with plans for the future :) xx

Suprisingly enough my fear went once in the hospital n i knew i was staying to have the op, had a fortnight of sheer fear that bp would be too high thanx to preop nurse who put the fear of god into me, i had bouts of excitement from time to time as well, this is your big chance once admitted the relief was overwelming, no more nerves till was getting put to sleep n it was one thought as they put the needle in the back of my hand, the next thing i was waking up. all done n dusted just something we have to go through to start our new lives. x

That's one of my fears, that I won't wake up. I do get excited, I've waited so long for this. But then I get all scared and panicky. It's all a bit confusing and overwhelming.

Paula, you'll be fine, it's the start of your new life!
Start planning all the things you're going to do when you're slim again, look at new clothes, plan days out, etc etc
You'll have so much to look forward to you'll forget to be scared.
Take care
Em xxxx

I was the same- scared something was going to go wrong. But everyone on here made me feel more at ease. On the day I explained to the surgeon and anaesthetist and they really settled my nerves- I was surprisingly so so calm on the day as its just a relief the wait is finally over.

Good luck babe xxx

Don't worry babe, I was the same. I'd convinced myself something would go wrong and I wouldn't wake up! I know it's easier said than done but just keep yourself busy, take your mind off it and just get it over and done with!
I'm 7 days post op now, a stone lighter (still cannot believe this) and am feeling a little better each day.
There is very little that can go wrong with these operations these days, and just think if you needed a life saving operation you wouldnt give it a second thought.... If your like me, this is a life saving operation for you too.
Good luck sweetie xxxx

Just to follow on from what clar01 said- my surgeon said to me "you will live longer with the band than without it" and another person I know with the band said "I rather die peacefully on the operating table tryin to save my life than die painfully of a heart attack because I'm so obese" xxx

Thank you everyone. I know I'm being daft, and im 100% sure that I'm doing the right thing. It's just you can't stop thinking about it can you. I hope I'll be as calm as you guys on surgery day :)

Back