• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pregnancy and WLS

wobbles

I am no longer in the same country as my surgeon and unfortunately GP's here don't seem to know much about Bypass surgery.

Are there any things in particular you need to be careful of during pregnancy after a bypass?

Are there any added risks?

Anything to take into consideration?

Extra precautions?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Shell, would be the best one to answer your question. She's expecting now. I'm sure she'll be around soon.

I am no longer in the same country as my surgeon and unfortunately GP's here don't seem to know much about Bypass surgery.

Are there any things in particular you need to be careful of during pregnancy after a bypass?

Are there any added risks?

Anything to take into consideration?

Extra precautions?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lol, everyone's getting preggers! Congratulations!

If you had your bypass here on the NHS you would have an appointment with the surgeon 5 weeks post op, 3 months post op, six months post op and one year post op and annual post op checks thereafter. On those checks your blood is tested and really although you had your bypass in a different country you should ask to be referred to a consultant at the nearest hospital to you who can check you over, even when not pregnant, but more so when you are, and they monitor your weight and how you are feeling, and that would be more often now you are pregnant. You need to push for better follow-up. All the best!

Lol, everyone's getting preggers! Congratulations!

If you had your bypass here on the NHS you would have an appointment with the surgeon 5 weeks post op, 3 months post op, six months post op and one year post op and annual post op checks thereafter. On those checks your blood is tested and really although you had your bypass in a different country you should ask to be referred to a consultant at the nearest hospital to you who can check you over, even when not pregnant, but more so when you are, and they monitor your weight and how you are feeling, and that would be more often now you are pregnant. You need to push for better follow-up. All the best!

Hi lady in london,

I had my surgery done in Leeds on the NHS. I have moved back to Australia.
At 6 weeks post op i saw the surgeons lackey who was less than helpful. My 6 month anniversary came around, no appointment. Sent the surgeon an email, and called several times leaving messages letting him i would be leaving the country and could he fit me in for a check up. He never bothered getting back to me. So unfortunately, i can't say many good things about aftercare, and as i said, the doctors here have very little experience with bypass.

Thanks everyone, i'll check out the thread Shel, hope you're doing well. I'm watching your progress on FB.

Back