• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WLS Advice

Hi, everyone,
What is a rough timescale, from approaching your GP for a referral to actually having surgery? I'm working up to making an appointment. I think I qualify for NHS funding (from what I've read), but have a feeling I will be looking at quite a long wait. :sigh:
Can anyone give any advice about what could go wrong with either a band or a bypass op? I seem to 'know' that there are all sorts of risks involved, but I've only read positive comments. Any info or advice will be really appreciated. :confused:

hello and welcome to minis, im a bander, it all depends where you live to how long the waiting list is in each area, i live in the north and its approx 6 months wait from 1st meeting the surgeon if you qualify for surgery, have you a preference if you would rather have a band or a bypass ? i was a savoury eater and my band stopped me eating bad foods like bread pastries ect, but if you are a sweet food lover then unfortunatly the band will not restrict you eating these foods.

good luck

liz x

Hi,
I'm a savoury eater too but am quite partial to midget gems! My biggest downfall, though, is cheese.
From what I've read, I think I would prefer a bypass (there seems to be faster results initially - I need this to keep me on the straight and narrow!).BUT, I seem to think that a bypass is more risky than a band so, because of that I'm more inclined to want a band?? Confused, or what? When did you have your op? Were there any problems? How much weight have you lost so far? Sorry to ask so many questions.
Sue

Hi,
I'm a savoury eater too but am quite partial to midget gems! My biggest downfall, though, is cheese.
From what I've read, I think I would prefer a bypass (there seems to be faster results initially - I need this to keep me on the straight and narrow!).BUT, I seem to think that a bypass is more risky than a band so, because of that I'm more inclined to want a band?? Confused, or what? When did you have your op? Were there any problems? How much weight have you lost so far? Sorry to ask so many questions.
Sue

hi sue, i chose a band as it was the best option for my eating habbits, i was also a volume eater i loved big portions my band has helped me control my portions alot. i was 1st banded march 2005 and i lost 7st 7llbs, i was rebanded august 2008, which i must state is RARE as i had a manufacture fault, i have no regrets with my band and id recommend it if your a volume eater, the band wont restrict the amount of cheese you can eat so will power is required with certain foods with a band. which ever surgery you choose isnt a magic cure and hard work and determination is needed for it to work, i see my band as a tool to aid me with weight loss thats all.

hi weightlosswannabee. Cant help with your questions im afraid as im only just infront of you in the process. saw my gp a couple of weeks ago who agreed to refer me but not heard anything from the hospital yet. Im also in Birmingham, well Sutton coldfield. Whereabouts are you? if you come under Birmingham East and NOrth then you will be referred to Walsall Manor hospital.

BOth Brunetteandred and tesmeralda are also from birmingham north. Im sure they will pop into the thread later and give you some advice.

oh and welcome to minis x

I saw my GP in July, got funding in September, met surgeon beginning of October and had surgery at the end of October. So 4 months start to finish for me.

It is easy to cheat with a band with 'slider' foods i.e ice cream and chocolate so I wanted a bypass and the surgeon agreed with me.

My journey has been relatively easy in comparison to some. I haven't been sick at all BUT I follow all the rules to the letter. I don't push the boat or take chances either and, touch wood, apart from the odd bit of wind have had no problems at all from either end!

my journey took just under a year start to finish, im banded although the bypass was recommended i wasnt prepared to have a higher risk surgery and i didnt want my anatomy changed the band is easily removable although with the bypass you drop alot of weight quiet quickly i wasnt prepared for the finality of the op

Hi, I had my bypass 2 months ago and I had a textbook surgery with absolutely no problems. I also have healed in record time much to the amazement of my own follow-up team. I have never been sick or had problems with food post-op so I have been very lucky but I do also stick to the rules I was given. I felt that the amount of weight I was advised to lose (100+ pounds) combined with my love of all things sweet & fatty, that the bypass was the way to go for me. My process to get to the surgeon was kinda long due the the requirements of my PCT and my GP who dragged her feet but from surgery consultation to surgery was 7 months.

Having said that, the people on this site that have chosen the band have really committed to making it work for them which has made me think highly of the procedure as a weight loss tool. It is really a personal choice when you get down to it. Either way you go, you will find loads of people on here with inspiring stories and tons of great advice.

Make sure you do your own research and be clear what you are in for before, during and after your chosen procedure. That way you'll be happiest with your choice.

Best of luck.
;);););)

Back