• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private funding issues

markelsie

Hi there...

I am considering trying to fund my by-pass op so I can go private and speed up the whole thing.Can anyone help and advise which route is best to follow with regard to loans etc ie Mortgage or Personal???? and are lenders wary or do you keep quiet???

Regards

Mark

I toyed with this idea briefly and the surgical company I was talking to had a loan scheme themselves (mind you they were a bunch of pirates) - I dont know what area of the world you live in but NHS waiting lists arent that long - especially if you already have funding in place from your local PCT. Sorry I cant be of more help.

I'm being told around 12 months for a by-pass operation and just feel I need to move a bit quicker and have the op although the downside is £££££££££££££££££££...

M

the question your going to have to ask yourself is "can i live like this 1 more year and be debt free or am i rushing this as i want it now but can i financially afford the repayments ?" only you can truely answer those questions, some people like the years grace as it gives them time to research the op and become more mentally prepared for what life will be like post op.

good luck with your decision.

liz x

Once I had established that I was actually eligible for the op on the NHS despite being told by the private surgical company I wasnt (told you they were cowboys), a year didnt really seem like very long to wait - and I found that the post and aftercare on the NHS at my hospital was far superior to that offered by the private company. Of course this is just my experience. Im not the most patient person in the world but honestly, that extra 12 months reinforced the fact that I had made the right decision to have the op, allowed me to really research it and speak to other people who had had it so I could ascertain exactly what I was in for. Its really a life changing and body altering surgery and its for keeps and there is a lot to get your head around. If I were you, I would start the ball rolling NHS wise by getting your GP to refer you to a suitable hospital - you can always look into financial options whilst thats going on and there is no commitment to stay NHS until the day of the surgery and you are on the table. Please shout if you need any more help.

I was the complete opposite, as soon as i'd met my consultant and gone through my option i wanted the op as soon as possible, i felt sick, horrified and utterly ashamed i'd let myself get to this point where my only option was surgical intervention, i just wanted it over with and to move on with my life, 2 weeks later i was on the table !

I did look into finnancing my op, although in the end i just paid out of my own pocket, i'd suggest getting an unsecured loan for however much you need, and pay it of over the shortest time you can, that way you pay a minimum amount of interest and its done quick !

My area does not do WLS so had to go private for my band. It took me ages to come to the decision but once I had, and I realised that I could not get it on NHS, I scraped the money together (Savings, loans etc.) and went for it ASAP.

I would get an unsecured loan as this will not affect yr mortgage and home during this time of economic instability (unless you are an MP - then go for it and get an £8,000 TV while you are at it:D!!).

Other people may advise otherwise, this is just what I think. Good luck to you x

i did not have the luxery of a secured loan as i am a private tennent, but i managed to get a 10 year unsecured for the full amount, plus pay off a small loan in existance so i only had the one loan. I also told the bank what it was for and i had an aswer immedietly, and confirmed in writting within the week. I could then have the funds as soon as i wanted.

i was lucky as i borrowed half the money (intrest free) off a family member and the other half was an unsecured loan from the bank. the family member said i am not to pay them back until after i have paid off the bank loan...so i am hardly paying any interest. i was told i was eligable for nhs funding but the list in mynarea is astronomic and as i didnt have any co-morbidities, until i developed some (!) i ould always be bumped back down the list...i was quoted anything up to and maybe more than a 5 yr wait. i wanted it done now, while apart from being overweight i was relitively fit and healthy...so i did. from my initial appointment in oct i could have had the op within weeks but chose to wait til jan due to family and work commitments.

yup a year is a brilliant waiting time compared to the time poor marge has had to wait, marge i think you are the person thats had to wait the longest that i know x

God Marg, that's awful. I do think it would be worth lying when going to get a loan. Banks have a tick box for "consolidation" "car" "new kitchen" etc. they don't have one for private surgery though. This is what I think, a lot of people would have a problem with lying but in this situation I would do so happily ( I don't normally lie by the way) (Not much):)

Reading all the different answers to my question it's easy to see there's no right or wrong timescale although I do want to get cracking and would be nice to sleep again with my wife without the Zzzzzzzzz snoring which rocks the house each night...lol...
M

Whenever I am making a significant purchase I think to myself, which do I want most, the money (or lack of it thru loan repayments) or (e.g.) the operation ASAP. If you want the money most, wait. If you want the op sooner, then get sorting out the loan.

As I said b4, it might be best to say "Consolidation" for the ( if you decide to go for it) loan as a lot of banks credit systems are worked out on a points system. There will be a box for usual things but I doubt Private Surgery.

My son worked for a loan co. once. It was not a bank but a subprime loan co. who basically get a loan for people with no security for a high rate of interest. He got a loan for a Stripper for a boob job! I wouldn't advocate going that route tho as interest was so high.

Best of luck in your decision.

Jenni...
Thanks for the advice and part of my problem is that I have felt I'm "not" worth the investment which I suspect/know is my self-esteem issue which as the pounds pile on my self-worth goes down but also know the chain needs to be broken IF I'm to move forward and I never seem to practice what I say to others about knocking one self...

Mx

I havent got any tips really except good luck on the surgery. I would personally rather wait the year, a year can go really quick, and it saves you the debt at the end of it. Hope it all goes well which ever decision you make

much love, kel xxx

Jenni...
Thanks for the advice and part of my problem is that I have felt I'm "not" worth the investment which I suspect/know is my self-esteem issue which as the pounds pile on my self-worth goes down but also know the chain needs to be broken IF I'm to move forward and I never seem to practice what I say to others about knocking one self...

Mx

Yes, the old lack of self-esteem has probably affected most here so I truly empathise. You are worth it though and your loved ones would be horrified I'm sure to think that you feel you don't "deserve" a better life.

We are all here because food has become unmanageable in our lives and we have had to take definite and quite drastic steps in order to rectify this.

Diets have worked only temporarily - so we have all shown immense willpower in losing stones and stones over the years but then sadly the weight goes back on and then some.

It does not mean you (or anyone here) are weak but it does mean that you have the condition of obesity. Other illnesses are treatable with the co-operation of the patient and so is obesity. Again, with the co-operation of the patient (i.e. we still have to work at it).

Could you have a heart to heart with those closest to you - really get the whole lot, shame, low self worth, desparation for a healthier you, your life chances (and quality of life) as an obese person. Everything. And work it out. It is not only you that you want somehow to rescue from obesity but also the people who love you and worry about you.

Whatever choice you make about WLS, I really hope that you put yourself AND your loved ones first. As I said before, it isn't only us who suffer for our obesity but those that love us and want whats best for us, and worry about our futures, if you see what I mean.

Very best wishes

Try bank of scotland or halifax (same people really as RBS uses halifax for loans) This is who i used, the interest is higher than a secured loan but based on your credit check they will work out how long you can take the loan for and vary the payments. Just remember the longer the repayment period the more interest you pay. so work out what you can realistically afford to pay each month and tell them that

Back