• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My meeting with Walsall Manor Hospital today

tranquil_butterfly

I had my meeting with Walsall today. I will not bore you with the details but needless to say I am no further forward. Unfortunately the PCT’s and Walsall have been working to make sure they cover their backs so I do not think even going further and taking it to the Ombudsman is going to make any difference.

I spoke to Wolverhampton PCT prior to the meeting and there was a meeting earlier this week with the hospital. They have been told to list patients in strict order and allocate dates. All the PCT’s have agreed new criteria - BMI 45+ and diabetes or BMI 50+ with comorbities. Anyone who is already in the system who have funding but who do not meet these criteria will still have the surgery. For the individual it will depend on whether Walsall has applied for funding. If you do not know if this is the case I suggest you check. As far as Wolverhampton is concerned Walsall have been given a clear instruction to sort things out and they have also promised them money to ensure those in the system at present are dealt with. They also blamed Walsall for failing to tell them there was a problem until the summer.

I got a very different spin in the meeting at Walsall. They said they had notified the PCT’s as far back as January this year that there was a problem and that the PCT’s told them to continue because of the 18 week pathway. When the situation had reached breaking point in the summer that is when they began talking. They are still talking and Walsall have now made it clear they will not be dealing with individual PCT’s and it all now has to come through Walsall PCT as the Lead commissioning body.

As Walsall PCT is the lead body it appears their patients will be given priority and they will then deal with everyone else – and the order will depend on what has been agreed with the PCT’s - I suspect whoever stumps up the extra cash Walsall are demanding will get their patients done next.

There are – they think – about 300 patients who have gone through pre ops and are awaiting surgery including me. Mr Khan will only do 8 operations a week. He has his private practice and will not do any more and they are not going to pay him privately to do them at Little Aston. Miss Heitman is only doing two operations a week – you can do the math – it will be well into next year to clear what they have now and that is provided Mr Khan does not’t take leave and they could not guarantee that will not happen.

Once the 300 are cleared they will start dealing with those who have been put on the waiting list but have not had pre ops. In the meantime they will try to catch up with the backlog of follow up appointments by trying to deal with them in a different way – by handing the follow up largely to GP’s to do.

They are taking on a new surgeon – but the person is not experienced and it will be many , many months before he is trained enough to be left to do the procedure alone – he will basically be trained by Mr Khan and they hope that for the future this will help to cope with the demand. They are also going to recruit a Bariatric Lead to coordinate the whole thing. Again that is for the future. They admitted it will take 2 to 3 years to turn around the service.

They apologised. They admitted mistakes had been made and that it will take them a long time to sort out the situation. The hoped they would be able to turn things around but with the impeding cuts they acknowledged this may hamper their plans to resolve things.

I did encourage them to start being honest with patients about the situation and they said that it had been agreed with the PCT’s that there should be consistent messages given and they are developing their processes to ensure that patients are given clear information. Dr Hartland has been given strict instructions not to give any indication about surgery dates or raise expectations.

GP’s are going to be given new guidelines as to how they refer patients in the future. They admitted that people had been referred and had not fully explored all avenues other than surgery. They apologised for this too, as it meant that people like me who had gone through everything including medication had been left in the situation I am in while others had been given surgery. As well as the new criteria the PCT’s will have to fund their own weight management programmes along the lines of Walsall and that before GP’s were allowed to refer they would have to demonstrate that patients had gone through this programme. So for new patients there will be considerably more hoops to jump through before you get anywhere near Walsall.

I did encourage them to forge some links with the support group. They were not keen and said if patients wanted to voice concerns they should join the patient liaison forum or the patient experience forum. I said having seen the minutes of some of the meetings I was not impressed and what was needed was some input into the actual service being delivered. They said they would explore the possibility of the bariatric nurse getting involved until they appointed the bariatric lead and it would be for that person to see if links could be developed.

I left the meeting feeling very depressed. They said the only way I would be moved through any quicker would be if I became an emergency and if I was that bad I would not be requiring weight loss surgery as I would be deemed too ill for it!

I am totally exhausted but did my best to try and advocate not only on my behalf but for other people waiting too. They were not really interested in dealing with general concerns just my complaint. The issue about whether or not Wolverhampton agreed to fund my surgery key hole remains unresolved so they will have to go back to Wolverhampton to sort that out which is more delay.

I suggest a few others now have a go. I cannot keep fighting this alone.

Apologies for the long post.

tranquil

Wow Tranquil, sounds like you have had a tough day hun. Big hugs.

This post is very informative though for those in the system and I feel for each and every one of you. As Tranquil says though, you should voice your concerns to the hospital as Tranquil is fighting on behalf of all of you at the moment.

Keep your chin up Tranquil. I know you are probably feeling quite deflated now, but Im keeping everything tightly crossed that your time will come soon. Did they give you any indication of where you are on the list out of the 300?

Wow Tranquil, sounds like you have had a tough day hun. Big hugs.

This post is very informative though for those in the system and I feel for each and every one of you. As Tranquil says though, you should voice your concerns to the hospital as Tranquil is fighting on behalf of all of you at the moment.

Keep your chin up Tranquil. I know you are probably feeling quite deflated now, but Im keeping everything tightly crossed that your time will come soon. Did they give you any indication of where you are on the list out of the 300?

No Sam - they have agreed with the PCT's that patients will now only be sent letters 4 weeks before their op dates and that is all they would say at this stage. I know Julie said that someone who had their pre ops back in March had not been given a date so I dread to think. They have to unravel so many things. The woman at Wolverhampton PCT said they had started to list patients but that would appear to be Walsall patients according to WM.

tranquil

I'm really sorry to hear that hun - but chin up, your time will come soon

big hugs xx

Oh dear Tranquil I hope you feel a little better now. I can imagine how stressful this has been for you today. I really admire you for fighting back but I think you should now withdraw and wait for your date. You should still call perodically to see exactly where you are on the list, they owe you that much at least. hank you for considering everyone else's plight while dealing with your own desperate wait for surgery.
I pray your date comes soon, you are very brave.

I have found ready the outcome and the information you posted really, really worrying and unless they find I have diabetes or a co-morbility even with a BMI of 52 I am not going to get funding am I? I am heart broken at this news.

Linski xxx

Tranquil you must be shattered after today-
so good of you to type all the details/info out for others to act upon-

I keep asking for a separate forum for important pre-op posts such as yours-as more & more people are going to have to fight harder for their op

Tranquil butterfly you ought to change your name to Bull fighter. You certainly gave them a run for their money. I only hope you now get the surgery you deserve.

Good luck hun. xxx

Tranquil butterfly you ought to change your name to Bull fighter. You certainly gave them a run for their money. I only hope you now get the surgery you deserve.

Good luck hun. xxx

Thanks Mary - that made me laugh. I really do not think they were quite expecting what they did when I walked in - we got stuck in traffic on the way - then could not find anywhere to park so we started about 25 minutes late. I was out of breath by the time I sat down. We looked at each other and they said well over to you. I thought hang on shouldn't you be going first - shrugged my shoulders and launched in. Rabbits in the headlight sprung to mind by the time I had said my bit:D. They recovered and hence I was able to extract as much as I did from them in terms of information.

I am still recovering from the experience - it left me shattered.

tranquil

i have had my referal to the manor done TODAY so im expecting after reading that that it will be returned omgggggg im devastated x

Hey Tranquil..

Hun, i know it could of gone better but we knew we shouldnt expect wonders..

But.. Thankyou.. Thankyou for trying for not only yourself.. but all of us awaiting surgery..

Ill follow from your lead.. :)

Marie x

Hey Tranquil..

Hun, i know it could of gone better but we knew we shouldnt expect wonders..

But.. Thankyou.. Thankyou for trying for not only yourself.. but all of us awaiting surgery..

Ill follow from your lead.. :)

Marie x

Thank you. I am more than happy to support anyone in terms of checking letters etc. I have today told Walsall I am not going any further. I am completely exhausted. Lets hope they and the PCT's get their act together.

tranquil

i have had my referal to the manor done TODAY so im expecting after reading that that it will be returned omgggggg im devastated x

Do not give up yet. You will probably have to go through some form of weight management for some months before you start the journey to surgery. Check the position with your PCT. Ask to speak to someone in commissioning who should be able to tell you.

Best wishes

tranquil

First i apologise i've had a busy couple of days and didn't have chance to get on till now!!!

My dear friend Tranquil i am absolutely heartbroken for you. I had such high hopes that this meeting would see you coming back with some scrap of good news, if only how far down the list you are! There aren't any words i can say to make you feel better, but knowing your fighting spirit i am sure you will gather yourself and recoup what little strength & energy you have and get your spirit back to full strength...

I add my praise and thanks to you for thinking of others and asking the right questions during this ordeal. I just hope now that WM keep their word and make no more unachievable promises and are honest with everyone in the system.

I'll continue to wait and hope your date comes soon.

One question before i go. You mentioned WM will start 'prioritising', does this mean from a medical point of view?

Love always xxx

First i apologise i've had a busy couple of days and didn't have chance to get on till now!!!

My dear friend Tranquil i am absolutely heartbroken for you. I had such high hopes that this meeting would see you coming back with some scrap of good news, if only how far down the list you are! There aren't any words i can say to make you feel better, but knowing your fighting spirit i am sure you will gather yourself and recoup what little strength & energy you have and get your spirit back to full strength...

I add my praise and thanks to you for thinking of others and asking the right questions during this ordeal. I just hope now that WM keep their word and make no more unachievable promises and are honest with everyone in the system.

I'll continue to wait and hope your date comes soon.

One question before i go. You mentioned WM will start 'prioritising', does this mean from a medical point of view?

Love always xxx

Good question. Wolverhampton PCT told me they are supposed to be listing in strict order. After speaking to them again yesterday it appears to be the people who have had pre ops and in the order of when they were put on the waiting list. So I still have an issue that someone who was referred months after me but because of their mistakes ended up on the waiting list before me has been given a date for surgery and I am still waiting. They are making it up as they go along I think.

tranquil

Really hoping for better news for everyone in your area, Tranquil, you are doing a sterling job of fighting along here... wish I could help you....

Sending love and a humungous hug to you and all who are suffering in your area... xxx

Julie having read your post again they said they do not medically prioritise. Until they actually do the procedure the patient remains the responsibility of the GP. If the GP considers it is getting acute then they would have to contact the hospital. BUT they said as this is elective surgery it is not considered life threatening not to have it. Hence the comment that if you fall so ill that you end up as an emergency you would not be having wls as you would be to ill to have it. Catch 22!

tranquil

Back