• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaisyMaesy

It makes me really cross when I cannot PM a new member until they have posted 50 posts. Sometimes (and I am sure I am not the only one) you want to say something reassuring but not post it on an open forum.
I am pretty sure that we lose a lot of newbies because of this as some threads get little response.
This is the only forum I use (and I use many) that does this except one other that you have to set yourself which is almost as bad.
Could this 50 posts malarky not be done away with and have a system of registration where you are authorised rather than be limited?
It is so frustrating!

Hi Daisy

I agree, but maybe instead of doing away with the 50 posts, maybe just make it so the newbies cant pm until they have 50 posts unless they are replying to a pm sent to them! at least they cant abuse it but can reply to messages sent to them. Just a thought for the mods,

This is part of our security policy on this site and we find it works well to prevent unwanted spamming and trolling of our members.

There are other ways though. I have noticed since I have been on here that people drift away and it would be nice to be able to contact them. I like the idea of them not being able to PM until thay have been pm'd as was suggested earlier but doubt that this is possible
I find on my forum (non WLS related) that having to be authenticated works very well and allows people to use all of the site once they have registered, just a thought while you are in 'change mode'

It makes me really cross when I cannot PM a new member until they have posted 50 posts. Sometimes (and I am sure I am not the only one) you want to say something reassuring but not post it on an open forum.
I am pretty sure that we lose a lot of newbies because of this as some threads get little response.
This is the only forum I use (and I use many) that does this except one other that you have to set yourself which is almost as bad.
Could this 50 posts malarky not be done away with and have a system of registration where you are authorised rather than be limited?
It is so frustrating!

A contradiction in terms surely? You want to PM a member rather than reply to a thread even though you are of the opinion that new members go because no one replies to their posts?

May be if we were all more conscious and posted on the threads that newbies post on they'd benefit and also more people (newbies & oldies alike) would see all information shared and assistance given. I do think that newbies are more likely to look out for replies to their posts than PM's - MHO of course.

I also agree that it's a very good security feature of the site that folks 'earn their stripes' so to speak in order to gain privilege on the forum - as spam, dubious posts and snake oil salesmen annoy me more. :)

Each to their own I suppose. Sometimes it is nice to give that personal touch in my opinion so we will agree to disagree.

You also have to earn your privlages on WLSurgery, such as access to profiles, to pictures, to social groups and to PM.

If somebody is genuinly wanting to be a member doing 50 posts only takes a few days at most.

As for "authentication" spammers are really good at... filling in the re-captcha and then respond to the email to verify their account so I do not see how that solves our problem of preventing unwanted spam. Also preventing these bots from skimming profiles and constantly auto-pming reduces the load on the server so everybody gets a faster better service.

Pierce

I find it frustrating not being able to pm someone, but i can understand the security issues. Can older members over the 50 barrier see email addresses etc of people that haven't reached that yet.

Was trying to figure a way of getting in touch with you daisy without putting it on someones post. I'm working up to my 50 ..... slow but sure.

The site doesn't show anybodies email address, the only time you expose your email is when its the same as msn messenger, post it publically on the forum or use the "Email" function within the site.

The person you email from the site gets your address, they have the option to reply to that email or re-use the private messaging system here. If they reply via email at that point you both have each others email.

Pierce

Hi Wobbly, just post 13 words in 13 separate posts in the word games then after a while you will be able to pm me. Posting email addresses and phone numbers on the board leaves you right open to spam so I do not advise it! Play the game then we can get on with our lives!

We have tried our best to limit the damage done by posting an email address for example:

[email protected]

Is automatically created when you have an email address in the post and click reply :)

Pierce

LOL.

This thread is going around in cirlces ... contradictions and implications of game-playing.

If ya don't like the rules ............. :bolt:

:D

Hi Wobbly, just post 13 words in 13 separate posts in the word games then after a while you will be able to pm me. Posting email addresses and phone numbers on the board leaves you right open to spam so I do not advise it! Play the game then we can get on with our lives!
Members who abuse our rules which as we have said are there for a reason... risk having their account suspended or even banned.

I find your suggestion DaiseyMaesy that a new member should as you call it 'play the game' very disrespectful.

I too Mini find your reply very disrespectful. Are the word association threads not a game then? Are they a serious post? If someone posts on them are they not playing the game as intended? I think you have unintentionally misread here.
I asked a perfectly reasonable question at the start, valid answers came back, I agreed to differ from Cahching and now I am being accused of abusing the rules. Wind your necks in a bit and please let people ask reasonable questions and reply with reasonable balanced answers not accusations of abuse.

I too Mini find your reply very disrespectful. Are the word association threads not a game then? Are they a serious post? If someone posts on them are they not playing the game as intended? I think you have unintentionally misread here.
I asked a perfectly reasonable question at the start, valid answers came back, I agreed to differ from Cahching and now I am being accused of abusing the rules. Wind your necks in a bit and please let people ask reasonable questions and reply with reasonable balanced answers not accusations of abuse.

The word association thread is a game and everyone knows that.

You are telling our members how to skirt our rules which are a progressive permission system which we have explained to you in detail and which you have failed to understand and appreciate and on top of that have accused me of abusing you when all I am doing is trying to keep our existing and new members safe from spam and trolls.

You have no right to speak to me in such a rude and aggressive tone.

For this unreasonable and uncalled for behaviour for it is in our rules not to argue with mods and administration. I am infracting you for seven days and this will give you time to reflect on your post above.

I think this has gone too far.

Skirting the rules?

I was told by several people when I first joined that the way to get 50 posts was to play the games on here. If that's the case, then I've flouted the rules and you better punnish me too.

I think this has gone too far.

Skirting the rules?

I was told by several people when I first joined that the way to get 50 posts was to play the games on here. If that's the case, then I've flouted the rules and you better punnish me too.

DaisyMaesy was not "punished" for her suggestion, but in the manner that she spoke to Mini.

Pierce

I am amazed that DaisyMaesy is being reprimanded for this, time and time again I have seen other members suggest to new ones that if they play the games it will help them get to post 50 quicker.
"Play the game" is exactly what these threads ask them to do, they are games that you have encouraged us to join in with when we are reading through the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back