• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Probably been asked a million times but....

emmafifema

What do I do about taking multivitamins? Is there a liquid one I can take for the first couple of months??

xx

I take forceval which is a large capsule with gunk inside. For the first few weeks I snipped the end off and squeezed the gloop into yoghurt and took it that way

I take Berocca which is a soluble multi-vitamin. You just have to let the fizz subside before drinking it. If you need Calcium/Vit D these are in chewable form. You can also get iron in syrup form which should be taken at the same time as Vit C to help absorption, but don't take it at the same time as Calcium (or milk) which will prevent absorption.

The most important vitamins we need to supplement post-bypass are vitamins A, B(1-12) C, D, E, iron, folate, calcium & zinc and should be taken in liquid or chewable form during the first few months post-bypass (according to both my GP and bariatric nurse). They also advise not to take any tablets that are enteric coated as these are usually absorbed in the small intestine, which has been bypassed, so could ultimately lead to vitamin deficiency. Similarly, time released medication won't have time to be fully absorbed therefore standard release medication is needed.

As usual, it seems that different providers have a different approach to these things so it's always better to follow your own team's advice :)

Last edited:
My surgery team don't have us starting supplements until 4 weeks post surgery - they then sent me a letter and a copy to my GP saying to start taking vitamins, iron, calcium and starting b12 injections. (i take a Boots a-z multivitamin)
With regards to taking pills though, i was only on iv meds for the day of the surgery and the next day they had me straight onto tablets, even the bigger ones like paracetamol. I was a bit nervous but they went down without a problem.
Each team is different so speak to your surgeon to be sure.

My provider gave me a bottle of Dalcivit, smelt like cat pee, tasted like cat pee a nd looked like cat pee. And promptly went in the bin 2 days post op! Himself got me some chewable multi vits from Boots which are just fine :) xx

I was given everything in tablet form from day one and have took them ever since no problem, id just go with what your provider advice x

I was given everything in tablet form from day one and have took them ever since no problem, id just go with what your provider advice x

Me too. No problems - except I have to take my pills before I have anything for breakfast, or there's no room for them in my pouch.

I have never had any bother taking pills or capsules, even the day after my surgery. I take Forceval or Spectrum, both are very good, with everything that you need in them.

Well I heard that the liquid forms are not a complete suplement?

I suppose it all depends on which one you take. I've only looked at my own, which is one I've taken for several years and is also recommended by my bariatric team. When I compared it with Centrum it actually had a better vitamin profile.

It's like everything else to do with WLS, each team has their own preference and way of doing things so it's best to follow their advice :)

Back