• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How Long Were You In Hospital

Patsy

Hi all, I know this has probably been asked somewhere already, but just wanted to know how long people stayed in hospital for.

I'll be going into Walsall Manor in a couple of months, and just need to work out how much stuff to bring in with me:D.

Thanks all.

hi there i was at musgrove park taunton I went in for surgery 1st thing monday and was aloud home on the wed. i belive some are quicker still but they do say to allow for 4-5 nights i think as standard.
I took 2/3 nighties + dressing gown but wore the gown and not nightie for the 1st 24 hrs as it made life easier as the are so big and loose and u will be going to the loo allot that 1st night .

Toiletries some cleansing wipes or baby wipes are very usefull and refreshing if u are hot.

reading material maybee an mp3 player and some sugar free juice that was about all i took
hope that is of some help xx

I was told 3/4 nights stay but actually only stayed for one which was great!
And like someone else said, you will probably stay in your gown the first night as will be attached to drips and its just easier not to go through the hassle of changing! lol.
And yep, I was up and down to the loo about 6 times with all the fluid they pumped into me!
Dry mouth spray was my essential itam as no drinks allowed till after the barium swallow xray the following day. x

I was in for 6 nights, including 2 nights before the op, and I was allowed home 3 days earlier than the estimated discharge date ! But it seems my surgeon keeps his patients in longer than almost anyone else !

I think the most useful things I took in with me were:

1. A dry mouth spray for when you're nil by mouth.
2. Some NAS squash, as at least I was able to flavour my water by the second day. We were told we could drink juice at that point - but weren't actually given any !
3. A small sports drinking bottle, which made sipping drinks easy at any angle and avoided straining the tummy to sit up and drink from a glass.

i was told could be 2/3 nights, but i only stayed in 1 night, i took my nds, mobile and charger, twlight book, baby wipes, shampoo, body wash, towel and dressin gown and out of all that all i used was my mobile/charger, baby wipes, tried playin my ds but was too drugged up, even in the mornin i didnt play it just had my tv on for back ground noise, didnt read my book. i only stayed in 1 night as well, had the option to stay in an extra night but i sed no but really i should of stayed in, personally if they ask do u wanna stay in a extra night i would say yes personally, just so u have more time to re-adjust. xx

I went in on Friday morning and left on Sunday morning.

I went in thursday afternoon op on Friday home Monday night

Dont for get ear plugs

I was told 2 or 3 nights but was in for 6 due to some complications. Bought 2 nightdresses and 1 pair of pyjamas, used them all and had my boyfriend wash them and bring them back to use again. Apart from that I didn't use much else. I looked at a puzzle book once and read about a page of a book....just didn't feel like I could do anything for very long at all. The one thing I was glad I bought was dry shampoo (that spray stuff) - it made me feel a bit more human!

Hi I am having my op 4 days after you. I have to be there on the Monday at 11 for surgery at 2. I have been told I will be allowed home on the Wednesday or Thursday.

Hello. I was bypassed at the Manor and was in on Saturday night for op on Sunday and came home on the Wednesday afternoon.

I took nighties rather than PJ's which makes life easier with the catheter. Took magazines etc, but was too spaced out on morphine for most of the time to even look at them.

I was told by a few other patients that i'll have my op on the Thursday at the Manor and come out Saturday afternoon sometime.....

Don't seem long but will be long enough xxx

I'm having my bypass at the L&D in less then 4 weeks, going in the night before as I'm 1st on the list next day (monday) and been told I'll be going home wednesday morning

Back