• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamins & Supplements

Samsara

Hello people :)

Those with sleeve, would you be kind enough to list what vitamins and supplements you are taking and in what dose please?

Also, do you know how rigid it is in terms of brands? There are a million and one different multivitamins out there. Centrum seems to appear in a lot of recommended vitamins from hospital advice but I notice the pound shop also sells multivitamins. I just wondered if one product is inferior to the next or are they much of a muchness and you are just paying for the brand name? :confused:

Thank you x x

Yvessa

You do need to ensure you're getting the right dosage. Pound shop may not cut it. However the asda and tesco multivits are good :)

tealovingsleever

Yes some are inferior, I took sanatogen a-z from a few weeks post op to date, before that chewy ones. Now I've been prescribed forcival. I also take a tesco calcium and vit d tablet at night.

Samsara

Yes some are inferior, I took sanatogen a-z from a few weeks post op to date, before that chewy ones. Now I've been prescribed forcival. I also take a tesco calcium and vit d tablet at night.

Thanks - can I ask what dose of calcium and Vitamin D you are on please? And why have you been prescribed forceval? Is that better than shop bought? And is it only available on prescription?

tealovingsleever

Ill check in a mo for you. My dietician wrote to my doctors asking if they would prescribe it as sleevers should have multivitamins for one year post op. they did and what they prescribe is forceval. Sanatogen was one recommended by my hospital though. Asda and tesco are always doing them on offer do £10 gets you over 6 months supply. I haven't tried the forceval yet.

tealovingsleever

400 mg calcium and 0.0025 mg vit d . both are 50% of RDA. Plan was to take 2 a day but I've rarely managed it. I wasn't advised to take calcium but OH wanted me too as I was eating so little.

Samsara

400 mg calcium and 0.0025 mg vit d . both are 50% of RDA. Plan was to take 2 a day but I've rarely managed it. I wasn't advised to take calcium but OH wanted me too as I was eating so little.

Thanks for looking for me - what's an OH? Something hospital? I can't work it out!! :confused: Another dietetics type person I presume though that I haven't come across yet...:eek:

tealovingsleever

Other half lol. You're welcome.

wannabeminime

I take forceval too, but i buy mine. Its in the pharmacy so you have to ask for it. Its expensive but worth it, at least for the first year, as the levels are perfect. I also take a sublingual B12. Sleevers poorly absorb B12, and this is absorbed better under the tongue. I am starting calcium citrate and D3 soon too.

tealovingsleever

I didn't think we poorly absorbed anything. Need to go for my first blood test so I guess I'll see how I'm doing then!

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
I take the following items:

1. prescribed by GP:

(a) Oro-dispersible Fastab (lansoprazole) 30 mg per day -- but have been cutting it down as reflux is getting better and much less frequent longer I am post op

(b) Fultium D3 capsules, 800 IU per day (to aid absorption of Calcium and Vit D)

==========================

2. Other Vits I buy myself:

(c) Wellwoman multi vit -- it contains a high dose of B12

(d) Boots standard Calcium and Vitamin D supplement 100% of RDA **

** I had been taking this from the beginning in addition to my ordinary multi vit but was diagnosed by blood tests both at August (4 months post op) and December (8 months post op) as being slightly deficient in both Calcium and Vitamin D.

Apparently the reason is due to taking the Lansoprazole which reduces acid production -- and acid is needed to aid the body absorb Calcium and Vitamin D.

For the time being I will continue to take the Fultium ...... but I am hoping that the signs are I will be able to withdraw from lansoprazole within the next 6 months. Will ask next GP (moving flat 9 March) to reduce my dose from 30 mg a day to 15 mg a day ..... and then try alternate days until I no longer need them ...... that should also help enormously with the absorption of Vitamin D and Calcium.

JoJoTGirl

I am due to start my post sleeve vits next week and my consultant has asked doc to prescribe forceval and calci chew forte forever.............and they've agreed.

mufinkakes

Go online to bariatric advantage these are the appropriate vitamins for bariatric patients also visit celebrate website. They have vitamins for us to. Your doctor and or nutritionist should have given you a list of vitamins to take. It also depends on blood work results if need extra supplement.

Sent from my M886 using WLSurgery

Lush121

I've just posted on another thread about not being able to tolerate Forceval, not sure why I can't but I tried for a couple of weeks. I might try again in a month or so as they are still sitting in the cupboard. At the moment I am on Centrum as lots of people here recommended them and they stay down just fine. I have also been told I need B12 shots and extra Vitamin D. Luckily the doctor didn't mention calcium as I really hated taking those, they taste of chalk.