• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Problems with milk

hootch

Hi all, it has been a while since I have been on here.

Things are going great, weight loss has slowed down to a couple of lbs per week, which was to be expected but one strange thing that has happened is I can no longer drink milk on its own or with a bowel of cerial, if I do I get extremely painful stomach aches and require a lengthy stay close to the bathroom... Tea and coffee are not a problem just anything with more fresh milk in is a no-go for me.

Has anybody else had this problem, I will see my G.P. next week but it has been said I could have developed lactose intolerance.

Regards

Nick

Alot seem to experience lactose intollerence for a while some it settles down for in the end good luck Hun c

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Ive been having the same problem it just came from nowhere I was blaming everything I didnt even think about milk. I have just bought some of that lactose so hopefully that might work x

I had that for a few weeks I used soya milk in cereal etc gradually adding milk back into my diet after that & now no problem. For most of us its a temporary thing while our new pouches settle down.

Ive been having the same problem it just came from nowhere I was blaming everything I didnt even think about milk. I have just bought some of that lactose so hopefully that might work x
I thought it might be the sugars in ordinary milk setting off a slight dumping feeling- I dont actually dump as such, I just feel a little bit yukky for 5 mins, So I asked Mrs C to get me some lactose free and see how that went. It seems to work.

It wasnt till I read up on lactose and the other sugars in milk that I discovered Lactose is not the only sugar in milk and its unlikely to be a sugar causing a mild dump. In fact the lactose free I have is actually half a percent more sugar than the non lactose free - but it did work and I don't get any unpleasantness now. ( which is why I dont think its sugar as such)

I read in places that the 'experts' say it seems weight loss surgery can uncover "hidden" lactose intolerance - although the fact that I haven't been large all my life ( just feels like it ) and when I was slimmer I had no problems with any dairy products - so there never was any lactose intolerance to uncover! ..............so on that admittedly flimsy anecdotal evidence I wonder if maybe the surgery might create a situation whereby Lactose intolerance is actually created as a side effect of surgery. If they dont understand how it sends diabetes into remission then how would they understand it causing another less beneficial side effect!

Doctors can shrug their shoulders too!

If this is the case then it may explain why some people can begin drinking ordinary milk again as they recover and things slowly begin to normalise with our digestive process.

Try the Lactose free as it does seem to help, but don't write off the ol'semi skimmed just yet :flirt2:

I had issues with milk before the surgery, as a baby I couldn’t have milk and could never drink a glass of milk on its own – it had to have something in it, but could still manage a yogurt.

My concern is 5 months after surgery I am still battling with my milk/calcium intake. I have tried yogurts, Slimfast, Horlicks, small flavoured milk and feel ill afterwards and have an upset stomach. My GP and surgeon were worried enough to refer me to see a dietician, which should be sometime next week (hopefully).

I do try to have some cheese every day, a small bowl of cereal with a little milk and tea/coffee with some milk but that’s it.

Back