• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein, just how hard is it to maintain your protein needs daily??

fairyringuk

free your spirit
I have been a bit confused, and concerned, that some people say they can eat anything, but obviously in smaller portions, and others seems to struggle with getting their protein needs daily.
Is this an issue??
Does it cause problems ??
Does it interfere with eventually eating a 'normal' diet ??

Would love your comments Love Jay xx

I am an advocate of a high protein diet, which you probably already know since I never shut up about it! Most women of size need 80+ grams a day to *maintain* muscle. I don't find it hard to get my protein in because I use protein supplements. Some that struggle do not like the idea/taste/cost of protein supplements. That is not a judgement, mind you, I see their point! Lots of protein supplements taste yucky, cost a lot and are full additives/chemicals. But for me, I am willing to take the bads for the possible goods of ongoing weight loss and good health while I lose. Here is an article you might find interesting:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Gastric-Bypass-Patients-Succeed-Eating-High-Protein-Diet&id=61375

HTH,
Nic;)

I struggle with the protein in take but I am getting better most days i hit 55-60g but do have days where I only manage 45 or so grams

Some reasons to have a high protein diet after gastric bypass:

1. Helps you heal faster since protein is what the body uses to repair damamge.
2. Your body does not store protein as fuel so while you eat high protein, your body burns off your fat as energy.
3. Having a high protein diet increases your 'honeymoon period' because your intestines will not increase absorption as fast due to the high nutritional content of the food being eaten.
4. You will maintain your existing muscle because protein 'feeds' the muscle first. You can avoid muscle loss & weakness completely by maintaining high levels of protein.
5. When hunger finally returns, usually between 6-9 months post-op, high protein foods leave you feeling satisfied for longer.

Oh, as a bonus reason, people on this forum who have had continued weight loss and good health post-op are most often people who advocate protein first - Shel, Hopelesscase, Silversurfer. Also it is never too late to start, Nic318 has learned that at nearly 10 months post-op she can lose a massive 6lbs (Well done Nic) in a week with the help of the 'rules' and a high protein diet.

Last edited:
Thanks PG I can understand all the benefits, and as a nurse myself yes I know all the reasons why it is the sensible thing to do.
I also can see for myself the success you and the others referred to have had, and Nic 318 and that is brilliant and all the more reason to follow that 'code', it just seemed tht alot of people 'struggled' to reach their daily protein intake, like Tina.
What protein substitutes do you use Nic?? and another interesting thing..........you said 'when hunger returns around 6-9 months'...........were you really not hungry that length of time??

Am so trying to get my head round all aspects so that I can be prepared post op by learning from those that have the experience knowledge now, so do bear with me lol.

Jay xx

1. What protein substitutes do you use Nic??

I use protein shots:

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/90078-protein-shots.html

I use protein powders:

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-we...et-tasty-protein-supplements.html#post1087206

I use ready-to-drink protein:
**MET-RX READY-TO-DRINK SUPPLEMENTS – come several flavours, no mixing just pop in the fridge.

I found them here 12 for 19.99 w/free shipping
MET Rx Ready To Drink 12 x 330ml Carton : MRPs : Elite Supplements Limited : Discount Cheap Bodybuilding Supplements Whey Protein Creatine Weight Gainer

or can be bought at Holland & Barretts

here is more on protein as I do tend to go on!

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/91101-protein-plateaus-carbs.html

2. You said 'when hunger returns around 6-9 months'...........were you really not hungry that length of time??

Yes, I can honestly say that any hunger I felt before 6 months was head hunger or an 'emptyness' not actual hunger. It has recently returned and I like it because it reminds me to eat , even if it is only a small handful of nuts & dried fruit.

'Am so trying to get my head round all aspects so that I can be prepared post op by learning from those that have the experience knowledge now, so do bear with me lol.'

Hun, you ask all the questions you want, I only wish I found this site when I was preparing!!!:D:D:D

I have Just Ordered online the choc/mint flavour MET-RX READY-TO-DRINK SUPPLEMENTS 12 pack for £19.10 free postage
So I should get them on Monday/Tuesday, If I like them i will order more, Thanks Phatgirl, your such a great help.

My personal trainer at the gym recommended phd pharma whey. It is a flavoured powder that you mix with water or milk and it is very low in fat and carbs giving you a 20g hit of protein injust one drink. I have the chocolate cookie one but it comes in about 5 different flavours. It works out about 40p a drink so it gets my vote. If you mix it with skimmed milk it gives you 30ish grammes.

Has anyone else tried it?

I started my protein supplements as soon as I got home from the hospital.

Nic:p

1. What protein substitutes do you use Nic??

I use protein shots:

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/90078-protein-shots.html

I use protein powders:

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-we...et-tasty-protein-supplements.html#post1087206

I use ready-to-drink protein:
**MET-RX READY-TO-DRINK SUPPLEMENTS – come several flavours, no mixing just pop in the fridge.

I found them here 12 for 19.99 w/free shipping
MET Rx Ready To Drink 12 x 330ml Carton : MRPs : Elite Supplements Limited : Discount Cheap Bodybuilding Supplements Whey Protein Creatine Weight Gainer

or can be bought at Holland & Barretts

here is more on protein as I do tend to go on!

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/91101-protein-plateaus-carbs.html

2. You said 'when hunger returns around 6-9 months'...........were you really not hungry that length of time??

Yes, I can honestly say that any hunger I felt before 6 months was head hunger or an 'emptyness' not actual hunger. It has recently returned and I like it because it reminds me to eat , even if it is only a small handful of nuts & dried fruit.

'Am so trying to get my head round all aspects so that I can be prepared post op by learning from those that have the experience knowledge now, so do bear with me lol.'

Hun, you ask all the questions you want, I only wish I found this site when I was preparing!!!:D:D:D
Thanks Nic - excellent post as i am pre-op i find this information extremely useful and i learn so much from the masters such as yourself x

The guys i work with are all into fitness, ones a body builder and 3 are runners, all very fit and none have had a weight problem, they all use protien suppliments, infact they advocate to protien ! and the general thought is to buy in bulk (as its cheaper) they also say to go for whey protien drinks in powder form and mix them yourself, and to look for at least 80% protien per portion.

I've not used protien suppliments myself to date, as i believe i can get my daily amounts of protien from the foods i eat, but i'm thinking about giving it a go maybe ! ;)

SS can i ask you a personal question? why does your location say various locations does your job take you all over the place? sorry for being nosy lol

SS can i ask you a personal question? why does your location say various locations does your job take you all over the place? sorry for being nosy lol

Yep your right - i've got a few places, or i'm normally in a hotel through the week if out of range of one of my pads ! :D

SS what has been your main source of protein food wise??

Jay xx

Chicken, turkey, fish, sea food and red meat, i also have a more than healthy taste for cheese too, which adds to the dairy side of my intake. I particualy like salad, so a normal meal will include some sort of salad.
I try to limit my carb intake by eating the protien items on my plate first, then the veg etc and finally if i need more to reach restriction i'll use the carb items to fill up on, but its most important to fit the protiens in first !

Another top tip is not to let yourself get hungry, i keep rolled oat bars (like the special K things you can buy) with me all the time, these are 200 kcals per bar, if i get peckish i'll eat one with a cup of tea and that quels the hunger, its important that you dont get hungry between meals, as hunger normally leads to high carb empty calorie snacking, something your trying to avoid as thats the point you gain unwanted calories.

Back