• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Powder....do you use it?

Tamgredan

wanna be happy!
I do like a shake in the mornings as they are quick to make, but does anybody use the big tubs you can buy of protein powder and if so, which one do you use.

I know the americans use them alot but dont read very much on the UK websites about them....unless of course you are a body builder!

I have used them but not really needed them as such, with reduced capacity for intake it's important to get good nutrients in whatever we eat because with good restriction , we can't eat a large amount .

However, I think bypassers benefit more from protein drinks due to the malabsorbtion as well as restriction on quantities, so they definately benefit from supplemental shakes more.

I bought a large bag of the banana whey protein from myprotein just before I had my op in November and it is still going. I find the protein shake invaluable when I am on the liquid stages. I did not realise how huge a bag it was when I bought it but it has turned out to be good value.

tranquil x

I also use Impact Whey protein shakes from myprotein, I have them in several flavours & I have also found them invaluable. Protein shakes are a contentious issue, many people don't like them quoting their care providers stating they should be able to get in enough protein from other sources, but quite simply that isn't always possible. It can take many weeks to get a decent protein intake back into the diet (particularly after a bypass or sleeve), due to intolerance of certain foods & the sheer time it can take to move from liquids through to sloppy, mushy & finally back onto solids. During this recovery period it is critical to maintain a good protein intake for tissue repair & recovery post-op, so to have some decent protein whey on stand by can be a life-saver. Plus proper 'protein' shakes (when used as a supplement, not as a meal replacement) are better than Slimfasts for example, because they do not contain the high sugar levels which can make bypassers dump.

Hi, I use Syntrax Nectar Roadside Lemonade. The first time I tried it I didn't like it but now I really do love it (have never been great at having breakfast) as it's a refreshing drink and a full scoop in a large glass gives you 23g protein, 90 calories but zero carbs and sugars. It's the one recommended in Weightloss Surgery for Dummies (can't tell you how surprised I was to discover a dummies book for wls).

Hope this helps. xxxx :)

Last edited:
Thanks annie, ive a quick look and they do other flavours too, the cherry one appeals to me...yum yum

Thanks annie, ive a quick look and they do other flavours too, the cherry one appeals to me...yum yum

I have the cherry one too, it's ok but not a patch on the roadside lemonade although I know it's a matter of personal taste.

The only negative I found is that they can clump when mixed. I put a scoop inthe bottom of a glass and add a little water to mix/disolve it in a small amount of liquid before topping it up. This way it makes a nice drink although it does tend to froth. xx :)

I use pots of protein powder. I always go for Whey and most of the low carb and low sugar ones are much of a muchness TBH. My fave is Vyomax and I get it from SK Sports which is a body building type sports supply shop in Trafford Park though the Body Fortress ones are good that Holland and Barratt used to sell.

I like them, very good at suppressing appetite while my body tries to deal with the protein. I use Maximuscle Promax (used to use the diet version, but much of a muchness IMHO) .... :)

I do like a shake in the mornings as they are quick to make, but does anybody use the big tubs you can buy of protein powder and if so, which one do you use.

I know the americans use them alot but dont read very much on the UK websites about them....unless of course you are a body builder!

I have used these before, just that was initially after surgery for two weeks just too make sure I was getting enough protein in coz of lack of food. xx

Back