• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Shakes

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
I have just been given some advice from a body builder regarding protein shakes.

Apparently instead of buying all the expensive shakes and powders, body builders use 100ml powdered milk with 200ml of semi skimmed milk, as the powdered milk doesn't have the calories to it, but does have all the protein content.

This can then be topped with a bit of crusha flavouring.

Does this sound about right?

If so, Im off to buy powdered milk tomorrow lol

i love powdered milk!

Gary you can get a low fat powdered milk
Protein 20.6g for 57g made up with water. (Tesco's own)
Fat 0.3g for 57g made up with water.

Last edited:
PG, did you really miss the many times we all mentioned 'double milk'? Especially in the early stages post op?

Make your coffee's like this all milky n yummy....

I bought some protein shake, and it was horrid, tried it twice and never again. Supposed to be vanilla, but tasted like old cardboard. And had to be consumed within 20 minutes. I have some milk powder now, so will stick to that!

If you add powdered milk to normal milk its called double milk
Oh and you get the same protein and calcium in skimmed milk as you do in semi-skimmed and full fat milk

My dietician said to buy marvel to put in milk, have just brought some x

If you are not a bodybuilder or weightlifter then you are probably best off avoiding the whey proteins aimed at those of us who are! Whilst 100g of the one I use contains 90g of protein and only 2.8g of carbs and 2.8g of fat which is probably just what you are looking for, you probably don't need the Beta Alinine, the Arginine Alpha-Ketogluterate, Creatine, Branch Chain Amino Acids and all the other yummy things that they put in them!!

My tips if you do go this route is READ THE RECIPES, those that are advertised with words like bulking, energy or meal replacements will have high carbs, usually malto dextrin. Words such as lean and cutting are worth looking at.

Buy online, you should expect to pay no more that £12.50/kilo if you are prepared to buy large tubs (5kg) or £15/kilo for the smaller 2lb tubs. Well known High Street retailers especially those with TV adverts can charge you double this, or more.

I use a brand called Nutrisport 90+, but this should not be considered an endorsement or advertisement for their products.

If you want anymore advice, feel free to write on my Facebook wall and I will happily assist if I can.

HTH
Chris

"Go heavy or go home"

i know its different with each provider , but my hospital,chelsea and westminster /dietian recommend maxi muscle pro,which is what i will use if needed,purely cos they said so haha!,,,,,,,

And to use Starr's Maximuscle Pro as a price example.

As I write this Asda have it at £39.93
I could buy it online for £35.19 with free p+p
From Ebay for £33.24 with free p+p
Or a 3Kg (not 1.2Kg) generic own label brand for £31.99 inc p+p.

So shop around, its worth it.

shopping around is def a great idea,my sons get it bulk for the gym so i get it at a really good price so it wont be wasted if i dont like it !,,,

I had no idea about double milk! I have some skimmed milk powder in (for putting in soup post op early days) I need to be doing this milk and more milk malarky. I can't seem to get any where near a decent protein intake! Thanks PG!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using WLSurgery

Back