• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PROTEIN POWDERS???? HELP!

I get mine from Holland & Barrett, the whey protein powder, it comes in different flavours, but I like the plain one because it can be used to thicken both sweet and savoury stuff.

It's great for protein shakes, but also for low-carb baking and stuff. Expensive, but then they are huge containers and last a good while.

Just checked H&B's site and they do smaller tubs now, so would be handy if you're not planning to use it for long:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=100&prodid=5953&cid=141

if you want to check the composition.

I love the myprotein protein powders. You can get samples for a low cost - never buy a whole tub without a taste as so many are awful.

Make some smoothies with greek yogurt - taste much nicer.

I have yet to find that special yummy one, I got a load of samples and I've worked my way through them - all ranging from down right awful to mildly disgusting. When I was first post-op I had some medical (read prescription only) grade pure protein powder, it was a.....um gift.

Shakes full of protein and low in carb: H&B plain protein powder, 1 egg (or just the yolk, or just the white, as preferred), double cream and water (lower in sugars than milk), DaVinci sugar-free syrup, flavour of choice couple of ice cubes, blend thoroughly, voila. Ideal for before the gym, or as breakfast.

I never bothered with protein shakes.

I was on cup a soups for the first week plus petit filous. Thick soup week two with the odd lump of cheese or larger petit filous. By week 3, soft scrambled egg etc

I don't like milk or anything that tastes remotely like milk and so couldn't stomach the protein shakes. When you are on the liquid stage it is far more important to concentrate on keeping hydrated that get too bogged down trying to get your protein in. Once I started on mushy stage I was having petit filous, greek yogurts and laughing cow light cheese triangles and scrambled eggs. tinned sardines also mushed down well and were high in protein. good luck x

So far the only protein supplement I liked was the MET-RX 55
MET-Rx RTD 55
It is sold in five flavours. One bottle has 500 ml, 55g of Protein and "only" 14g of carbs and 2g of fat. All in all one bottle has 294 calories.
It contains Water, Skimmed milk, Milk Protein, 1.8% Cocoa Powder, Aroma, Sweetener: Sucralose, Stabilizer Carrageenan.
A six pack costs around 15 Pounds. So it's not cheap but you might give it a try to see if you like it more than the powders.

See for me that's quite high. The protein powder I have mixes with water, and one serving is 98 cals, 14g protein and 1.8 carbs

I like loads of them, but in particular I have bought big bags of banana, chocolate smooth and vanilla.

Back