• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein shake help plz

jooz0301

Can any recommend any ready mixed or powder protein shakes or vitamins for post bypass plz x ive googled but its a minefield x

I used protein drinks called Up Beat. 30g of protein but they taste really nice. My fav was mango and passion fruit. They are in supermarkets. Very fruity taste.

Anything that says protein whey is perfect .. Holland and Barratts are so expensive though .. If you have a home bargains near you then you can get some in there for under £5 .. Bargain !

I was reading about being careful about the hidden sugars and that there were two sorts of whey (?) used in the shakes. And does anyone top up with amino acid supplements? X

I have been looking at this as well and have been looking at getting the diet whey from protein works - they are low in sugar. They also do either a sample pack of 5 different flavours or trial bottles so you can test the flavours.

Don't know what they are like - I haven't ordered them yet, still trying to make my mind up!

I also use Upbeat on occasions as well as Ufit. These are 20+ protein in a portion, but the sugars are quite high do I try not to rely on them!
I also only use them when they're on special offer. lol

I was encouraged to use the Tesco sachets by the dieticians and that's been fine although I only like a couple of flavours. Now I'm nearly 2 months out I am starting to make my own shakes with unflavoured protein powder and chucking in fruit and veggies. Most of me meals are still very heavily protein based (as they should be) so I am using this to up my fruit and veg intake :)

I never realised about watching the sugar after a bypass x i thought dumping was an upset stomach lol x Hannah when is ur op? What hosp are you under?

I've been told, post bypass to avoid any foods that have more than 8g of sugar per 100g's. As anything above this could cause dumping syndrome. Xxx

I was told no more than 12g of sugar per serving and that has served me well so far. I gagged on the protein shakes so was really pleased when I could progress to protein bars, I've found one that only has 5g of sugar in it and is 20g protein and is delicious, it's combat crunch by musclepharm, I'd highly recommend them :)

I never realised about watching the sugar after a bypass x i thought dumping was an upset stomach lol x Hannah when is ur op? What hosp are you under?
Hi, my op is in August in Hull

I've been told, post bypass to avoid any foods that have more than 8g of sugar per 100g's. As anything above this could cause dumping syndrome. Xxx

For bypass we were told no more than 5g sugar per meal! I do find it difficult that different places tell us different things! Mind you, from what I have read we will all react differently anyway and even react differently from one day to the next! I guess we will just have to see what works for us when the time comes!

I think mine is mid August in Luton Hannah. Are you NHS?x

I think mine is mid August in Luton Hannah. Are you NHS?x

Yes and no! I have gone through NHS referral (seen consultant, dietician, psychologist, group sessions etc) and about to be put on wait list after approval which means it would be at least 8-9 months wait for the op. My GP referral was in January. So, I have decided to go private, with the same surgeon, and have booked for August. I just want to start my life now rather than waiting - I just thought about how much weight I could have lost in 9 months time!

I have ordered the sample pack of 5 flavours from protein works and a couple of the sample single bottles of the diet whey to try. There was a discount code on their Facebook page for 30% off - looks like a regular occurrence though. Will try some and let you know! The only problem I have is the diet whey has sweetener in and some reviews comment they are too sweet! I hate sweetener and the after taste, so not sure how I will get on with those ones.

Thanks Hannah I will have a look. x

I had my bypass November and dietary advise given to try and stay away from protein powders as can start to replace or rely on them. 4g in 100g sugar in foods was nearly impossible to follow so used high protein yogurt such as Skyr or Fage Total Zero. You can buy Marval milk powder from most supermarkets which I can highly recommend for adding into first stage after bypass to increase protein (dietitians from Spire recommend this). Try to stick to adding fruit into natural yogurt especially early on as I found it hard to hold in high sugar above 8g tends to cause dumping with me. Follow the rules and don't eat too much. Bypass is very different to sleeve and gastric bands though.

Hi, I do hate the way we all get different advice! Anyhoo! I have tried the protein works powder flavours cherry bakewell diet whey and the strawberry & cream powders and they are both way too sweet for me! I guess I might have to mix them 50:50 with the unflavoured powder to see if that helps. Why is it when people use sweetener (they use sucralose in these) they add far too much! They don't need to be sickly sweet! I will have to see how I cope with them after my surgery - my provider recommends one glass of protein shake or slimfast shake for breakfast and another glass in the evening! That is for weeks 1 & 2 - I haven't got week 3 diet sheet yet! I guess they give that out at the first appointment after the operation.

Hi, I do hate the way we all get different advice! Anyhoo! I have tried the protein works powder flavours cherry bakewell diet whey and the strawberry & cream powders and they are both way too sweet for me! I guess I might have to mix them 50:50 with the unflavoured powder to see if that helps. Why is it when people use sweetener (they use sucralose in these) they add far too much! They don't need to be sickly sweet! I will have to see how I cope with them after my surgery - my provider recommends one glass of protein shake or slimfast shake for breakfast and another glass in the evening! That is for weeks 1 & 2 - I haven't got week 3 diet sheet yet! I guess they give that out at the first appointment after the operation.
I hate how sweet they are ;( it's the only reason I try to get the majority of my protein in through food. :(

Back