• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein shakes information please

Grace

I'm reading a lot about these protein shakes. When I saw the dietician and surgeon at SRH no-one mentioned them....but I haven't had the surgery yet.

so...I'm having a bypass....does everyone have to have them?

If so, when do you start having them? :confused:

can you get them on prescrption? (I'm on a low income)

and what do they taste like?

are they anything like he Cambridge diet, coz I spent a fortune on that YEARS ago..........and then tossed it in the bin, because it tasted so foul I wouldn't have given it to the dog! :snoopyhouse:(and he would've turned his nose up in any case ! LOL)

by the way I will be asking my dietician all this stuff but she's not available today.........grrrrrrrrrrr why is it whenever screw up the courage to ring, they're always busy?!

Oooh lots of questions.

so...I'm having a bypass....does everyone have to have them?
No, they are a personal choice. Some dieticans recommend them, and some don't.

If so, when do you start having them? :confused:
If you want to have them, it's best to start as soon as you are discharged as they help with healing.

can you get them on prescrption? (I'm on a low income)
No. You're looking at £20-30 for a large tub with about 30 servings in, and you'd be having one a day.

and what do they taste like?

There are loads of different types and flavours, from super sweet and creamy to more synthetic and watery ones. There are also juice style ones, like a thick sweet squash, that come in tubes.

are they anything like he Cambridge diet,
No, you can mix them with milk and they taste really creamy, or get a plain flavour and stir a scoop into soup or cereal. You can make frappucino style drinks, or use the powder in baking (see the post op recipe section for some ideas).

Hope that helps. Best thing really is to do a search on here for protein and protein shakes and there is loads of really interesting threads explaining the science behind the need for a decent amount of protein in your diet post op.

Back