• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rules of puree stage please (bypass)

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Hi everyone
I'm three weeks post op and started puree stage last week and now gradually introducing fish and scrambled egg(so far so good). Even managing to get nearly all my 2L of fluid down daily, but i still don't know if i'm getting this right after having re-read the pouch rules. Typical daily menu is 2 tablespoons porridge with teaspoon fruit puree for breakfast, small fromage frais for mid morning and supper, tablespoon fish/egg with tablespoon veg for lunch and similar for dinner with a glass of milk mid afternoon. I re read pouch rules and i'm def not going 5 hours in between eating. Is it only at the 6 week mark that you can acheive this by "water loading" and eating solid food and do you experienced bypassers think my diet is ok. I've tried various protein shakes but just can't seem to stomach them. Appreciate your advice as i have 3 more weeks at this stage. Thanks x

Hi everyone
I'm three weeks post op and started puree stage last week and now gradually introducing fish and scrambled egg(so far so good). Even managing to get nearly all my 2L of fluid down daily, but i still don't know if i'm getting this right after having re-read the pouch rules. Typical daily menu is 2 tablespoons porridge with teaspoon fruit puree for breakfast, small fromage frais for mid morning and supper, tablespoon fish/egg with tablespoon veg for lunch and similar for dinner with a glass of milk mid afternoon. I re read pouch rules and i'm def not going 5 hours in between eating. Is it only at the 6 week mark that you can acheive this by "water loading" and eating solid food and do you experienced bypassers think my diet is ok. I've tried various protein shakes but just can't seem to stomach them. Appreciate your advice as i have 3 more weeks at this stage. Thanks x

Hi Allie

Its really simple, forget water loading and protein suppliments, at 3 weeks post op you dont need to worry about this sort of thing right now, just simply concentrate on expanding your sloppy range of food, and keep drinking fluids to stave of dehydration.

It sounds like your managing ok, you can start to experiment with things like spag bol or a sloppy shepheards pie, fish pie etc, but remember your pouch will only hold about 2oz at a time which is about the same size as a large mouthful.
To be honest its all trial and error, get it wrong and the worst that will happen is you'll chuck it back up, just take it slow and easy and stop when you start to feel full.

Hi Allie

Its really simple, forget water loading and protein suppliments, at 3 weeks post op you dont need to worry about this sort of thing right now, just simply concentrate on expanding your sloppy range of food, and keep drinking fluids to stave of dehydration.

It sounds like your managing ok, you can start to experiment with things like spag bol or a sloppy shepheards pie, fish pie etc, but remember your pouch will only hold about 2oz at a time which is about the same size as a large mouthful.
To be honest its all trial and error, get it wrong and the worst that will happen is you'll chuck it back up, just take it slow and easy and stop when you start to feel full.

I agree with SS Allie. I'm at 9 weeks post op now and this week started to eat stuff which is mashed rather than pureed to baby food consistency. I've managed OK so far but the most I feel I can eat is about 1 and a half tablespoons. I do try to leave about 4 hours between each "main" meal but I do try and squeeze a couple of protein shakes in, 1 mid morning & 1 mid afternoon. which I make with the powder and skimmed milk.

I've found that if you feel a bit iffy after the meal and it comes back up the way it went down, don't get disheartened. Try soupfor the next meal then have another go when you feel up to it.

I've found weight watchers tinned soups stay down a treat. I buy the smaller tins of weight watchers soup that will fit in a mug and find they are just the right amount for me.

Keep it up you're doing fantastically well!!!

Blimey Allie - you are doing much better than me - I think you are doing a grand job. I just chucked something down my throat when and if I felt like it but remembered to keep my fluids up. I just don't have the discipline or mind set to be as disciplined as you - I think you are doing fine and should worry less.

Water loading????? Seriously? Like SS said, bit early for that, you are doing fine how you are.

Hi Allie, I think you are doing marvelous, I had things like cottage pie home-made with extra lean steak, mashed carrots, and loads of gravy but not made out of the stock of the mince just gravy granuels. Then steamed salmon steak again with mash and parsley sauce granuels, weetabix with a mashed banana, poached egg, scrambled egg, mushy tinned tomatoes with some grated cheese (1/2 fat cheese)dont forget though all tiny postions. I made a load of fresh veg, & potatoe, then bought two Ice cube trays filled 1 with veg and 1 with potatoe, freeze them. When you want them have 2 x veg cubes to 1 x potatoe cube, then just add a small amount of fish or meat, and hey presto!! a tiny meal for your tiny Pouchy. Gail.x

if i remember rightly someone said the water loading is for mature pouches hun. Be careful ;)

if i remember rightly someone said the water loading is for mature pouches hun. Be careful ;)

Yeah this is correct, the idea of water loading is to saturate the roux limb with water 15 minutes before you eat, loading it with water makes the tissue swell slightly and restrict the amount of food that falls through the stoma when you eat, thus you eat less in one meal.

I've tried water loading and to a degree it does work, though i dont have the disipline to ensure that i drink the amount of water 15 minutes before i eat. I do however try and drink something before i eat or just before my meal, mainly because i know that i wont be drinking post meal for at least an hour.

At this stage your just starting to eat again and learning how much your pouch can take, sicking back up mouthfuls of food is all part of the learning process and you will slowly learn to look and measure the amount of food you can hold down without upchucking ! we all go through it and even now i still get it wrong, over eat and chuck a few mouthfuls back up ! though i always ensure i eat each meal to full restriction.

Thank you so much lovely peeps, just wanted reassurance and once again you are all there for me. Don't worry Elffie haven't done any water loading and won't have enough prob getting 2L down ha ha. TPT only reason for the discipline is that i'm still off work so plenty of time on my hands to think about it! SS thank you for the advice,reassurance and information for later stages. GM thanks for meal suggestions and i'm def going to get ice cube trays! Switcher i'm going to try ww soups might be a nice change to slim a soup (cup) and thanks for sharing your experinces for the puree stage. Gaynor thanks for not reading and running. Thanks again everyone xx

Thank you so much lovely peeps, just wanted reassurance and once again you are all there for me. Don't worry Elffie haven't done any water loading and won't have enough prob getting 2L down ha ha. TPT only reason for the discipline is that i'm still off work so plenty of time on my hands to think about it! SS thank you for the advice,reassurance and information for later stages. GM thanks for meal suggestions and i'm def going to get ice cube trays! Switcher i'm going to try ww soups might be a nice change to slim a soup (cup) and thanks for sharing your experinces for the puree stage. Gaynor thanks for not reading and running. Thanks again everyone xx

Morning Allie!

I'm glad to share my experiences if it helps others.

The WW soups are handy because they're tinned, you know what the content is (calories etc) and they're quick to chuck in a mug and heat up in the microwave so they're ideal if you lead a busy lifestyle!

Keep up the good work hen! You're doing really well!

For the amount of food you are eating and the amount im eating/drinking me being 2 weeks out nearly. I think Ive been conned. Im sure my surgeon has just taken my gall bladder out and forgot to bypass me !!!:eek:
I can eat half a tin of soup easily with no funny feelings. Have had mash but backed off it. Practically anything I eat stays down and I never feel over full :rolleyes: Im not drinking enough I know that..but I reckon I dont have a punch and that its some sick experiment ! Think I might request an x ray lmao

Gaelic you sound like your doing ok:D keep it up

Give it time elffie - it will happen!! I didn't get that full up feeling for a few weeks but now it is well & truly present! Weeks back I put in a thread that on my 1st or 2nd day on blended food I got a 200g kiddie fish pie down! It will all change!

Thanks Gail will remember all your advice when my turn comes!Funny though to think just a couple of ice cubes will fill you up for dinner!

I have great expectations for you Allie, you are always so positive and honest with us all, and yes very supportive.

Big and bouncy i look forward to eating teeny meals, especially in public when people are waiting to watch how much the 'fat girl' eats lol.....

Anyhow, am off to get some slap on. Got a hot date with my OH (well we're 10 months into our relationship so still need some spice lol) off to the pictures then chinese buffet. And yes even though i signed up for the gym yesterday (thank you Karlos for the inspiration) i will partake of the chocolate fountain while i can still enjoy it lol xxx

Have a good weekend all xxxx

I thought 3 x Ice cubes of food O.M.G:eek::eek::eek: but when put with some meat or fish 1oz this portion is ample. Gail.x:eek:

3oz of food LMAO - i now have trouble remembering when i could only eat that much....... nowdays it takes a large plate of salad, a chicken breast, spoon full of colslaw and some rice to fill me up :D I can eat in a resturant and consume most of a main course dinner with no problem.:D

Thanks guys love hearing everyone's experience, Elffie i'm honestly still not sure either when i'm full ( know it will happen) but so frightened of being sick i stop when prob i could eat more lol. PM hope your night out goes well with your OH. SS nice to know what i can look forward to further down the line.If ive missed anyone sorry off to watch x factor and i'll check back later xx

Thanks guys love hearing everyone's experience, Elffie i'm honestly still not sure either when i'm full ( know it will happen) but so frightened of being sick i stop when prob i could eat more lol. PM hope your night out goes well with your OH. SS nice to know what i can look forward to further down the line.If ive missed anyone sorry off to watch x factor and i'll check back later xx

Aliie - dont be afraid of being sick, its not sick like you think but more just regurgitating a few mouthfuls of food. At your stage your just getting things back to normal and want to give your pouch time to heal, but eventually you must learn to eat to restriction, that means till you get that tight feeling in your chest like you've swallowed a brick, only then will you be really using your tool as you should be, but learning to eat to restriction takes time and paitents to master. Many bypassers fail to loose because they dont like the tight feeling and avoid it, this leads them to eating softer food that dont hurt and because they dont hurt they can eat more, then they are on the road to eventually regaining weight and maintaining bad food habbits.

Thank you SS so glad you are around its so helpful to know what to do to get this right. Haven't had the "chest" feeling you describe have had a tightness in my throat as if there is something there. Thank you too for reassuring me on the "sick" front. I am really keen to eat solid food but know its far too early so trying some soft foods as well as puree. I guess this restriction becomes easier as the food becomes more solid? x

Thank you SS so glad you are around its so helpful to know what to do to get this right. Haven't had the "chest" feeling you describe have had a tightness in my throat as if there is something there. Thank you too for reassuring me on the "sick" front. I am really keen to eat solid food but know its far too early so trying some soft foods as well as puree. I guess this restriction becomes easier as the food becomes more solid? x

Yes your right, and doing what your supposed to do right now, dont try pushing your pouch yet, the sloppy stage is about letting things heal up inside and allowing the bruising time to go down, if you try rushing the sloppy or liquids stage you'll hurt things inside, later when you start eating more solids you'll find that you cant seem to consume as much, this is because your pouch stays fuller for longer as it takes more time for food to pass through the stoma.

That feeling that you think is in your throat is actually the food in your pouch, you pouch is actually located behind your breast bone and not where you'd expect your stomach to be much lower down, the tightness you will feel from restriction is actually your pouch getting full and pressing against the inside of your breast bone, which causes the uncomfortable feeling, some bypassers think they are stretching there pouch because of this and thus avoid the feeling by eating sloppy or slider foods, which actually causes the pouch to stretch over time.

Back