• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

protein shakes??

tracyt84

what are these?? ive always thought they were used by gym junkies to gain weight and build up muscle but seems alot of you on here drink these..im on the liquid stage after a fill could i have these?

Hiya i was going to ask this as well lol so i am hijacking your thread if you dont mind. I am having bypass soon and have heard of people having these protein shakes and like you have seem them in health shops and thought they were for bodybuilders to gain weight?

I know they are lower in carbs but what kind do people drink, i was told i could have slim-fast, complan and build up shakes but they all seem to have a lot of carbs in them and the slim-fast seem quite high in fat? so if people could share the makes of shake they are having it would be very helpfull. :D

Some people use protein shakes when on the liquid stage or early stages to get in more protein. One shake will have a lot more protein than we can normally get in one meal in the early days. Some providers, mine included don't like people having them as they worry you will rely on them rather than using real food for your nutrition. I use them occasionally on days I need to up my protein. They can be expensive and high in sugar so I get reflex diet shake and only have half a portion. It lasts a long time that way and it's low in sugar but I get 18 grams of protein at a time. I think when you can't eat larger enough portions to get your required protein, you have a heavy exercise day or you're on the liquid stage they can be helpful. A glass of milk blended with some fruit makes a yummy, cheaper protein shake too. Lots of people use slimfast etc. early on. I was allowed to go straight on to purée so didn't need it but I would of been scared of the sugar content in those sort of drinks being a bypasser :) x

I have ordered some whey protein isolate powder which is really high in protein but almost no carbs whatsoever. This way I can make my own protein shakes at a fraction of the cost, and also not have to take in the high amounts of carbs that are in the ready made shakes..

Yes body builders do use protein shakes to get more protein in to help build muscles.

I can see why they may be useful for bypassers as they dont absorb all that they consume.

Being a bander though, personaly I wouldn't bother with them, they are very expensive and taste vile. They really upset my stomach too.

On days when I can't 'eat' a breakfast I have either a slim fast or a milky coffee.

I have always used them as my banker protein. I use low carb ones 25 g protein per serving and add splenda to taste. I make protein ice cream using them and protein yoghurt using recipes from eggface who is a really succesful RNYer from the USA. Its horses for courses if you like them and they work for you its fine. I maintain at 11 stones after 3.5 years and I swear by them.

M

I have one as my breakfast, low carb and 25g protein and the chocolate one tastes lush (tins from tesco at £1.99 I think)

JO28172 said:
I have one as my breakfast, low carb and 25g protein and the chocolate one tastes lush (tins from tesco at £1.99 I think)

I use those ones before I go to the gym usually too early for breakfast at half six do does the job for me x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

If you have the money go for it but there are better alternatives,your provider will let you know.

I have never had protein shakes. Milky coffee if I need to up my protein. Tbh, I plan my day to make sure I eat enough protein anyway. Probably not a bad idea though to have one in the car or handbag as backup if you are going on a long journey or not sure what food options will be available if you are out. Also maybe for those days when all of a sudden band tightness kicks in unexpectedly.

bought myself some slimfast yesterday,is this protein?im on the liquid stage after a fill and cannot stand the sight of soup now ive had too much of it and starting to feel weak and faint sometimes,had a slimfast for dinner last night and i felt instantly better!x

Slim fast is fine for after a fill according to my providers guidance. Some people dont like slim fast because of the high sugar/carbs ... But I dont worry about that, especially as its a pretty filling option.

i try to have one slim fast a day, i tried protein shake but it was a bit chalky and my tummy didnt really like it either, i do keep a protein bar in my handbag now after not eating all day a couple of times i have been somewhere with nothing suitable to eat :) i also have ovaltine with milk at night and usually a milky coffee during the day as well , i have always liked milk so it suits me but some people don't like it so i don't know how they get on xx

The protein I use has zero carbs zero fats and zero sugar and under 100cals and u get 23g of protein I use the fruit juice ones so u add water and it's just a fruit drink I do have the chocolate truffle one but I mix that with milk so just plus the cals and protein of the milk xxx

mimi1234 said:
What are they called?? is it tescos own brand??

Here you go! They are gorgeous!
I'm just about to try a powder to make my own so when it comes lets see if it cuts the taste test!! :)

Attachments

• image-2384774917.jpg
    image-2384774917.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 38
Oooh have never seen those at Tesco, will have to hunt one down to try. They can't all be vile can they?

Hope you enjoy yours Jo! x

I use them as I have a very busy job and I can't always sit down to eat , and me and carbs aren't friends at the moment :( , I don't have slim fast as they contain too much sugar , don't think it matters so ppl like them some don't xx

Mazza said:
Oooh have never seen those at Tesco, will have to hunt one down to try. They can't all be vile can they?

Hope you enjoy yours Jo! x

I seriously adore these, gotta be worth trying one at £1.99 just to see! Never got past trying the chocolate one as I loved it too much lol. I'm pretty sceptical on the powder I've ordered, but I'll try once and once only....watch me, I'll be back on these by next weekend :)

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Back