• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

protein!

CHUCKY

hi is it possible to overdose on protien. Howw much is too much protien,

Thanks

Hi Julie, I'm pretty sure you can't have too much protein, as long as you are eating other things with it (carbs, fruit, veg, dairy, fats etc) to balance your diet out so it is not simply protein alone I would think it's ok. Someone more knowledgeable than me (that's not hard!) may well come along and say otherwise though so don't take my word for it, I'm just guessing! :confused:

Cuppa xx

thanks for that the reason i ask is that i bought some protien powder and i do eat pretty varied diet too. I didnt want to do more harm than good.

cheers

Having excess amounts of protein can put your kidneys under strain as it flushes out ketones from the body... which can also cause dehydration. There's also a risk of osteoporosis unless your diet contains sufficient calcium as it will be leeched from the bones to help metabolise the protein.

If you're exercising enough, drinking plenty of fluids and taking a calcium supplement it shouldn't cause too many problems, but it's best not to exceed what the dietician recommends on a regular basis.

Having excess amounts of protein can put your kidneys under strain as it flushes out ketones from the body... which can also cause dehydration. There's also a risk of osteoporosis unless your diet contains sufficient calcium as it will be leeched from the bones to help metabolise the protein.

This is the basis of Atkins - which has been proved to be detremental to health longer term !

The key is to eat a healthy balanced diet high in protein and being careful not to eat to much carbohydrate, especially in your early days when eating large quantities is difficult!

Back