• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

protien

CHUCKY

hi all does anyone know if its possible to have too much protien daily.
today i have had 100g is there a upper limit?
thankyou in advance

I saw my dietician last week at Salford and I had it in my head that I had to have between 80-90g of protein a day...........I was wrong lol..nothing new there :D He says 60-70g per day is plenty and any more than that will just add to you calorie intake :D Hope this helps XX

A diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

So yes is the answer, about 60-70g sound right for a daily intake :)

The amount of protein you need is dependant upon the stress you put your muscles through. Body builders who literally shred their muscle fibres take in 200g a day to repair and build muscle mass. Sedentary people can get by on 40 to 50g

My NUT and I agreed I should take in around 100 to 110g a day but only because I am trying to gain lean body mass, and work out heavily at the gym. Too much protein can be an issue but is usually only an issue if you have a compromised renal function.

More than 70g a day for most post oppers isn't necessary

I agree with Karlos, 'excess' protein intake is only likely an issue in someone who is already suffering from renal problems & not something to worry about in a relatively healthy (albeit overweight) individual, although, also agreeing with DC, too much is going to knock-up your total daily calorific intake. A very high protein intake (> 2 g/kg bodyweight or > 35% total daily calorific intake) can cause problems due to slow deamination of amino acids within the liver &/or nitrogen build up which cannot be excreted fast enough by the kidneys. However, putting things into persepective, one mustn't confuse weight of a particular protein food group vs absolute protein intake from that food...for example, eating a 4 oz (113 g) chicken breast actually provides only 35 g of absolute protein intake.

Last edited:
I thought we had to take in enough protein to absorb the 45gm a day we need for body rebuilding purposes.

so for an RNY its about 60gm and for a DS its 100 gm a day.

But its worth remembering that the body can only deal with up to 30 gm protein at anyone time - this tends to only be a problem if one has protein shots.

I agree its an issue if renal function is very poor and is extra calories if you don't really need it

xxxx

I thought we had to take in enough protein to absorb the 45gm a day we need for body rebuilding purposes.

so for an RNY its about 60gm and for a DS its 100 gm a day.

But its worth remembering that the body can only deal with up to 30 gm protein at anyone time - this tends to only be a problem if one has protein shots.

I agree its an issue if renal function is very poor and is extra calories if you don't really need it

xxxx

The latest research kind of refutes that, a lot depends on the type of protein and how it is delivered

thanks for all your replies

I have been having 1200 calories but very little carbs. 2 protien shakes a day too,
i think i will cut out or down to 1 shake from 2moro.
so confusing this weight loss game x

Back