• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protien

Poppy

Wondered if anyone can help, I am 6 weeks post op and am having trouble getting enough protien.... all of the protein drinks and I have tried numerous, make me dump (sorry too much info!) I have talked to my dietician, but she is not alot of help. I cannot tolerate meat or fish at the moment. Just wondered if any of you had experienced this and had any tips

Best Wishes
Deb

NSC Pro Shot 12 x 25g Vials - Cheap Supplements

Try those, 25g of protein in only 87ml of Liquid. Taste is a bit iffy, but definately do the job :)

Also Cheese is a good source of Protein, try Babybell Light and also Edamame Beans are a Soya bean that pack 40g of protein per 100g, this is more than chicken lol

Hope that helps xxx

make milky coffee with skimmed milk and add extra powered milk to it. hummouse, soups made with real meat stock, beans when cooing meat i used chicken and made a broth out of it then liquidised it went down well and good source of protien

I take the IDS New Whey 42g protein shots. They have been wonderful for me.

Cottage cheese is very high in protein and I can eat it without it sticking. I have had it with pineapple and chives and just ate it out of the tub. It is 14g of protein per 100g. Processed cheese slices rolled up into tubes are an easy snack. I can't eat fish or meat either at the moment. Eggs (7.5g per egg), milk (20g per pint), cheese and pulses are high in protein. I make chick pea curry which is easy to digest and chick peas are 8g of protein per 100g.

Hi Deb

I'm going to be a bit contraversial here and tell you to stop worrying about protein intake, at 6 weeks post op you dont really need to ensure your eating high protein meals or using protein suppliments ! - your still in a 'post op recovery phase" and provided you are not grazing on high cal slidder foods like crips, chocolate or sweets you should find that you wont be able to consume enough to stall your weight loss. Over the next few weeks your pouch will continue to heal and you'll find your tolerance to meat, fish and other foods will get better which will allow you to increase your consumption.

Some people advocate the use of protein suppliments, i didn't use any sort of protein suppliment until very recently and have successfully lost, and there are many others here that have done the same, if you eat a high protein low carb balanced diet there's no reason why you should have to increase your protein using suppliments.

The protein is important for wound healing and to preserve lean body mass and those who have had surgery need up to 1.5g per kilo of body weight instead of around 0.8g per kilo for your non-surgical person. All this comes at a time when we are probably eating just tiny amounts of protein. I don't think it is stressed enough how important protein is to wound healing.

Hi Debs, others have given really good ideas of where to find protein other than in meat and fish; cheese, eggs, nuts, beans, milk, yoghurts etc. My dietician says eggs are the best source as they are absorbed very easily by the body.

In my experience though it is way too easy to become obsessive about the amount of protein you are getting in a day. At 4-6 weeks post op I worried about it constantly and would only eat foods with huge amounts of protein, nothing else. This totally took away what little enjoyment I had of food, so, on speaking to my dietician, I relaxed and just made sure I was getting some in each day. Since then I find I naturally sway towards high protein products but I do make sure I enjoy other foods too. I haven't used protein shakes for ages and the weight is still coming off fine, if it slows down or stops then I will use them for a quick boost!

Cuppa xx

Back