• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post bypass tiredness - help and advice needed!

kikuka

Tequila makes miaow happy
Hiya, i hope you dont mind me posting here, I am a fugitive from the CD and latterly WW forums on this site. My dad had a bypass on 5th Feb, and all went well. Taking food and fluids is no problem, but he is complaining of really intense tiredness all of the time. I assume some of this is normal given the extent of the op and the drastic reduction in calories, but i wondered if anyone could give me any advice as to how long this feeling will last for him so I can ressure him a bit. Also, have any of you got any tips for me as to how best to support him post op and into the future. Thanks for reading

Hi Kikuka,

It's natural to get that exhausted feeling post op, and it could last for a couple of weeks. A bypass is major surgery and it's your bodys way of healing itself, which takes a lot of energy. He just needs to take it easy, get plenty of fluids and ideally plenty of protein to aid in the healing.

He may find that he gets a bit of post-op blues too, which is from the anaesthetic, so try and stay positive for him and keep an eye on his moods.

As for you, just supporting him and letting him know he's doing well is the best thing, and no tucking in to a chocolate cake in front of him just yet!

He's lucky to have a daughter who obviously cares so much :)

Just tell him to rest up and when his body says sleep not to fight it and have a kip. Its a big op and takes lots of healing He will soon be on his feet again

Yes it is normal to feel tired, it would after any major surgery. Once the vitamins start to kick in he should see an improvement, until then he needs to rest when he feels like it and not push himself its still very early days..xx

Back