• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psych consultation at Sunderland

novamay

Born Free
At the 1st appointment with the nurse/dietician I asked to be referred to the psychologist for counselling before the op. Kim agreed it would be helpful and said she'd refer me.

I'm now waiting for an appointment but wondered if anyone else has had this through SRH and can tell me what the sessions were like - what sort of questions will be asked, will there be role-play?

Also what was the waiting time like - Kim said there could be a long wait as he was extremely busy... I'm not too bothered about the wait tbh - as long as I get some counselling before op to help me understand why I overeat so I can get my head in the right place; and hopefully give me some tools I can use to avoid it in future.

I've been trying to think long and hard about why I overeat but I cannot pinpoint it to any trauma or abuse (thankfully) in my life. I've always just been a good - and big - eater! The only thing I can think of is that my family used food as a way of showing affection - rather than hugs and praise.

Will he just tell me I'm greedy and lazy? lol, if so I want my money back coz I already know that! :D

Hi Nova, I cant speak for SRH but thought you may find my experience of some comfort. Like you I was nervous and wondering what he would ask. Basically, all they wanted to know was that I acknowledged that my problem with food would not vanish the day I had the bypass. I understood it was a wonderful tool but sill needed hard work and commitment by me. He did ask why I overate and I was truthful. He said he was more interested in getting my mind and body ready to embrace this surgery and change my habits now in readiness.

Just be truthful and let him/her know you have researched WLS and know what you are in need of doing. I said I always respond to help whether its tablets or surgery I knew I would do it. I had tablets numerous times and lost loads but once were withdrawn (Reductil) I just put it all back on. The problem for me now felt too big to tackle and succeed on my own and I knew I would die early at this rate and I have alot to live for.

Just tell the truth Nova and you will sail through.
Lin XXX

Thanks Linski... much appreciate your response.

I'm probably worrying about nothing! I just desperately want this to work for me - and for me to work with it. My heart's in the right place - I just need to get my head there too hence the appointment.

I've been on Orlistat but unfortunately it was only short term success - like you say once the tool is taken away its pretty hard to keep up with willpower alone. I guess the good thing is that the bypass will be with me for life - they can't take it off me can they :eek:?! Its up to me to make the right choices in future - just need to rejig my brain to do this.

I hope (and perhaps this is a bit rosey-tinted of me) that once I have the op and if I can lose a good amount of weight in the first 6 months, then I will be able to do more - eg moving around, keeping up with the exercise routine and going out more and enjoying life. At the moment I have too much joint pain to do much exercise - tend to stick to 30 mins on the exercise bike on an evening. Part of the reason I overeat could be because I don't really have a life outside work and home. I only have my sister who I see once a week and my cousins every couple of months. Otherwise I'm in the house - left to my own devices.

I think it's fantastic that you've been proactive about asking for a psych consult before surgery. It sounds like you're going to be as prepared as you can be.
I used to be very isolated and not see people very often, especially since I stopped working. For me, getting a dog has changed my life a lot. I meet people every day to talk to and walking Baxter has sorted out a lot of my joint pain. One of the regular dog walkers I meet is a volunteer for the Cinnamon Trust which helps elderly people keep their pets by having the volunteers come and walk the dogs for them. Perhaps that would be something that could get you out and about a bit? Or maybe some volunteering elsewhere? I know it's difficult to find the self confidence to get out and meet new people when you're overweight. I was very fearful of being judged. But the vast majority of the time the reaction has been positive.

Thanks yorkie - I do like dogs but I'm more of a cat person.... my Sis has a lovely lab but she's coming up for 10 and is getting a bit doddery, so she doesn't like long walks anymore.

I used to be quite 'active' in my old church - was in the choir and quiz nights out, but haven't been since I moved to Stockton five years ago. I don't really know anyone down here other than my OH.

I think I've got stuck in a rut - just finishing work and coming home and veging out. It could be one of the things I can work on - getting out more; even if its just once a week its better than nothing.

Hi Nova
I think psychologists name is Tony Wells although I've not met him I have heard he is nice to talk to, I am sure someone on this site has mentioned seeing him.
I am sure he will be able to help you a bit.

Denise

Back