• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psychiatric assessments

sarah26

Hi all,
I am going private for a gastric bypass, however I have had mental health problems in the past and the consultant wants me to have a psychiatric assessment before I have the op. I have asked my current psychiatrist if she will support me and she said she won't :cry:and is going to write a letter outlining her concerns to the consultant. I might be able to have an assessment with a private psychiatrist so I'm hoping he will let me have it. Has anyone else has trouble with this? Thanks, Sarah

oh no thats a bummer :( did she say why she wont support you? maybe theres an issue that needs sorting x

i hope you don't mind me saying but they must have a concern why they won't support you xx they maybe don't feel you are ready for the commitment it takes as it's a life long one..... the op is only the beginning and if you are already having other problems they might feel you won't cope :) ask her honestly if she thinks there is a time in the future she thinks you may be ready or what can you do to progress x take care

Hey Hun,

I too went private and have mental health issues. I have bipolar disorder. The group I went with were fully aware of my condition, as I had to disclose my current medication, which led to a discussion. I was not asked to have a psychiatric assessment pre op, so can't help you with that.

However, following the procedure I had significant trouble with my medication as one could not be crushed etc. This led to me having a crisis 3 months post op and I have been off work ever since, trying to get well. All this on top of all the expected stresses and strains from such a major operation and lifestyle change has most certainatly not been easy.

My advice to you is to be sure, as much as anyone can be, that you are in the right place emotionally even if this means delaying things for a while. Also remember, although sometimes psychiatrists can be over cautious, I know!, sometimes they are right.

If after reading this you do want to go ahead then I would seek an impartial assessment or approach a different company.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Julie xx

hun i suffer from Depression although its not as bad now as it was a few years back, i also had a breakdaown due to this leaving me with a long hospital stay. i mentioned all this to the phychiotrist... she was more concerned with issues to do with food.. ie do i eat more when im depressed etc. dont worry about the non support from this other professional. this meeting will be to see how your state of mind is now, wether you have an addictive personality etc... ie would you turn to drink or something else if you couldnt turn to food xx

hun i suffer from Depression although its not as bad now as it was a few years back, i also had a breakdaown due to this leaving me with a long hospital stay. i mentioned all this to the phychiotrist... she was more concerned with issues to do with food.. ie do i eat more when im depressed etc. dont worry about the non support from this other professional. this meeting will be to see how your state of mind is now, wether you have an addictive personality etc... ie would you turn to drink or something else if you couldnt turn to food xx
would they refuse u for that?

You can be refused for all kinds of issues.
They just need to see what type of personality to food etc you have... ie if you said you could only survive on chocolate and you were not willing to give it up... then chances are you will be refuses.... you go in saying you can go wthout it.. then you will ok x

Due to having suffered from childhood abuse I was asked to have an assessment :( but I had my own councillor who supported me with my wishes of surgery and they accepted a letter from my councillor stating she feels the op would benefit me. It really hurried things up to coz I know there where long waits to see there psychiatrist! I would spend some time with ur psychiatrist and ask why they won't support u?? Also explain to them why u want the surgery and how u feel it will help or impact ur mental health. I don't want to sound negative but I do suffer for mental health issues and if u don't feel 100% I'd wait for surgery as I've just had my surgery and I know it is very stressful a big shock and I know if I wasn't as well as I was i would have been very down. Go for it if it's right for u xxx

Hi
I'm 9 days post op and suffer with schizo-affective disorder of which I take lots of medication :-(
I had to endure psychological assessments before I could be accepted for surgery. This also involved the application being suspended for 6 months as I wasn't ready.
I'm now very grateful that I weren't through these assessments as when I finally had my op last week I was so prepared both mentally and physically.
Having weightloss surgery is a major decision which involve major life long changes and commitment.
Your psychiatrist has your best interests in mind and maybe at this moment in time doesn't think you're ready. I would speak to your psychiatrist and ask why they don't recommend surgery. But I would also ask that they work with you in order to prepare you for what is involved.
I'm the only patient to have undergone surgery under my psychiatric team so at the minute it's a learning curve. I have experienced problems taking my medication since my op last week :-(
I have made my team aware of this. One of the things post op is the risk of depression
I do wish you well on your journey x

Hello everybody, Thank you for all your replies! It was very interesting reading everyone's experiences. I spoke to my consultant yesterday and he is going to fight my corner as he thinks I should have the procedure. He is going to write to my psychiatrist to find out what her concerns are and if she doesn't agree to it, then I can have an assessment from a private psychiatrist as a second opinion. I honestly think she is just against the procedure full stop as my care co-ordinator said that and I think she is also worried I have too much going on at the moment but I don't think I have at all. I have had issues in the past, but I have been so much better recently. I am better than I have been in a long long time and I think that this is an ideal time to have the op. Luckily, I have my G.P.'s full support so at least that is one person who supports me. I have written letter after letter fighting for this procedure and I'm not going to give up now. The consultant basically said I will have it but it is just going to take a bit longer than it normally would. Thanks for all your help!

Back