• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bipolar

nicnakmac

Hi I'm very new here an have loads of questions. I am bipolar but stable with meds. Anyone have bipolar or mental health issues? How did you cope with the psychiatric side of the process? My community psychiatric nurse is supportive and will write me a letter for them but I'm still nervous. Scared I will fail their tests.

Hello and warm welcome
Everyone here is so friendly and supportive and very honest about how they feel or felt about process I'm someone will pop up soon to offer advise in the meantime good luck with everything

Thank you for your lovely reply. I'm feeling a little obsessed about it all. I have been on this app for hours reading and searching. I now just have to follow advice, chill a bit and wait patiently.

Hi Nik,

I just also wanted to say hi and welcome!

I can't answer your questions either but hopefully someone will soon xxxxx

Welcome, I'm sure someone will contact you shortly, lots of people on here. I know what you mean about trawling the site for info and being obsessed. I'm on here nearly every hour when I'm at home just incase someone relates to my story. I've suffered since I was 18 years old with depression however dealing with it better since my children came along. I had been extremely nervous about the "cognitive therapy" as I was worried it would make me feel like It did 18 years ago. However I felt it was useful and the lady who I saw (3 times) was lovely, not condescending just calming. looking forward hearing your journey X

Omg I lost my whole post trying to add my before pictures. Il have to write it all again and it's huge. My weight gain came in after bipolar diagnosis where I started meds. I used to eat off a small plate/bowl for years to maintain my healthy 10st weight. Bmi about 19/20. Size 8-10. Then with meds my apetite greatly increased along with portions til eventually I could eat man woman or beast under the table. I had my babies, added loads on with my pregnancy with middle child. With my third and last baby I was tested for gestational diabetes and I had it. I controlled this tho with my diet alone and this made me gain mostly only the weight if baby so I exercised lots of control again for those 9 months. I've also had major bowel surgery. I no longer have large bowel. I have an internal pouch formed which involved a very strict diet to allow the procedure to heal properly which I followed to a t. I had to do this for three months. So I can prove I can do it its maintaining that I can't manage. I lost 3-4 stone numerous times but then get lost in life and and gain and gain more than I originally was. I've tried slimming world. Didn't work for me as they don't advocate portion control really. Weightwatchers worked I must admit but I couldn't maintain or get below 16st. I've tried actidiet, juice plus, diet chef, my fitness pal and slim fast and special k. All work to a degree but the maintenance is an issue. I do really well for months then fall off the wagon and return to huge portions again. Sorry for the super long post. Xxx

Last edited:
I'm worried I have only been fat for probably 7 years morbidly obese less than that. I hope they don't say I haven't struggled long enough. After advice on here that my weight at seminar is counted I have decided to maintain my weight rather than drop weight. I'm so grateful for that advice. I have done 6 months with a well being coach referred to my gp to increase my activity but this has been difficult as I have three children one of which has been very poorly and through surgery herself and we have only manage to do a few exercise sessions although I do swim myself three times a week. I'm too embarrassed to use gym although I do have a membership. I loved gym when I was slim and always had a membership and attended regularly. Now my youngest is in nursery I have more time to dedicate to activity. I also am in process of studying at college to get on a nursing access course and I am also volunteering for my local hospital starting this month. I am doing this with a view to having lost the weight by time I fully qualify as a nurse so I can physically cope with the work and also be a good example. Xxx

image-3494909966.jpg

This is me now at bmi just over 40 when I got married. My husband is mega supportive. My weight doesn't bother him but my health does. He would prefer me to lose naturally but understands my struggle and has said he will support me and if I get accepted for seminar is attending with me. I have been very open and told everyone of my friends and family that I have applied for wls. I have received support from every single one as they have witnessed first hand my struggle. I'm a very open honest person (it drives my hubby mad that I can't keep anything to myself) so telling everybody was not hard for me to do. I'm not on Facebook otherwise it would have probably been a Facebook announcement lol. I just have to hope I can meet all their criteria. As I'm determined for the sleeve. I would accept the band don't get me wrong but the sleeve would suit me and my life perfectly. At 20 stone I don't feel bypass is right for me and don't think I would be offered that due to my already massive surgery with intestines. Thank u to everyone who reads my loooooong posts.

Welcome and good luck with everything Nicnakmac.

Have you looked at the private surgery option as well?

Hi bear thank you. I could never afford private as my credit score is diabolical. And I have no savings. Those have been exhausted many years ago when I had mania :( I woke up this morning feeling more hopeful that I will appeal if I get rejected. I've already started drafting a letter just anticipating bad news. I've read that the surgery I am after could improve my bowels so I'm going to print that out and take it with me to gp if I am refused funding for her to help with appeal. Thanks for everyone's replies.

Nic

Try and stay positive. You've been referred for a reason, there is obviously a need there for you to get funding for WLS.

I imagine that there will be complications with the process but try not to worry too much and focus on potentially getting accepted.

It's out of your hands so try to just roll with it!

I wish you the very best. Xxx

Thanks Sophina. That's encouraging to read. Sometimes I just feel like I have no luck in anything lol but I'm going to have a little hope, get on with my day and wait for my letter :) xxx

I know, it must be really hard because your fate is in someone else's hands.

I just didn't want you to get stressed out or worked up too much over it while your waiting to find out!

Xx

Well my impatience got better of me. I rang Sunderland Royal hospital and asked if I had been approved. She said my name is definitely on the list for December seminar but that I don't get the actual confirmation letter until a couple of weeks before. She said when I attend the seminar that I have to opt in. I'm not sure whether that has convinced me I've been accepted or not lol. Xxx

Back