• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pump op not right ?

purplefluffything

Hello friends, went in formy pump replacement op yesterday.
Unfortunately it did not go to plan :cry: I was woken up after just after 2 hrs & told they took out my old pump but could not replace the new one .
You can imagine how i felt.. My surgeon went on to tell me with great regret he felt it would be better to close me up and I come back in a week or two.
After being in recovery & in terrific pain I had lots of morphine ( the nursing staff were shocked that my consultant just got hold of the injection & gave me a ful 10 mg of morphine in one go! They wld have given me 2mg at a time. It's because I'm so immune to it)
I was taken back to the ward to recover & monitored as I was being sick too.
Consultant came to see me & explained when they checked the catheter it was blocked he cld not get any csf out of it, he said it was rather blocked half way of at the tip and if it was the tip I cld have a granuloma which is dangerous for me ( the catheter sits in intrathcal space where all nerves are) the granuloma can squash nerves paralysingly me or giving me problems .
So the plan is for me to go back in two weeks ( got to book a theatre space) I have got to go under. & have a 6 hr op and most likely end up with a spinal headache having to lay flat for days. In theatre they have to
get special op table so I will be face down and special tube which goes down ur throat but one the anaesthetist can make sure I can breath easy with..
Yes I know I will be getting my pain pump, but am more frightened as I hate being put out and hate the awful sickness when I come round, I'm always sick even though they give me stuff to combat it..
I thought I would be recovery so I cld then get on with my next appt at Whittington for my wls, I can't do anything until this is sorted..
Thanks for reading.
Hugs xxx

hiya luv. whats this pump for? i mite be abit thick for asking but i was just wondering?
its a shame they couldnt get it all done in one op isnt it - hope your feeling better soon hun

xx

Hi Dianne long time no chat hun, so sorry ur having a rough time at the mo, u really have been through the mill and i feel for u big time.
Have u got a rough idea when ur meant to be having ur op, u have been so patient and had to go through so much more than any of us, i just hope and pray everything gets sorted for u soon and then u can take ur well deserved space on the losers bench, congrats on getting ur funding hun xxx

oh dianna thats terrible, how will you go on in the meantime hun, cos i would imagine by now the amounts youll be taking will be hard to give you orally, im on zomorph, which is slow release, i have 400 mg twice a day, but i would imagine that wouldnt be enough for you would it, plus not as potent as in a pump. i really feel for you, and now you have to start psyching yourself up for another op, but at least now they know where theyre working from, so it should go ok. ill be thinking of you, take care, and dont forget we're all here for you. big hugs x

Diana, I hope that you don't suffer too much whilst waiting. My prayers are with you.

Rebirth

Hi Di

know somewhat how pain needs to be controlled i've started on some different patches as morphine ones not working an was taking too much oramorph with it. I'm on fenityl now plus pentine and oramorph wish there was an easy solution for you hope it all goes well

Ali
xx

Morning friends , thank you for ur words of comfort & encouragement .
Keely ur not thick flower the intrathcal pump is still quite rare in the uk.
It is a titanium object which is round & quite heavy just over an inch thick & 4 inches wide this pump then as a catheter like a long thin tube attached to the pump & when planted in my tummy on the left side just under my ribs the catherter is then tunneled under my skin until they reach my spine
this end is then put through the thin but tough menbranes of the intrathcal space & tied up they then stitch the 3 wounds up. The next day on the
ward the consultant then has a computer with him he then programes the pump.
The pump Is turned on at a low rate at first I then get which ever medicine that is put in the pump ( in mine I receive morphine/ clonodiene) the clonidine enhances the morphine. The pump is then increased daily until I get some sort of relief
I hope this explains things to u keely if not pls just
ask away I'm happy to answer...
Roche, thank you for ur lovely reply yes o won't pretend it's been easy it's been a pain in the backside . ( sorry if iv offended anyone with that last remark,!)roch you know how I'm feeling because I know u
have had problms Hun..
Moonflower, yes it's been very hard with oral opiates, I'm on 150mg fentanyl and 740mg oxycontin plus 20mg oxynorm every 2 hrs
plus lots of other meds , celebrex 200 mg x 2 a day and pregabalin 300mg 2 a day
aspirin, atorvanstatins etc etc sometimes I'm admitted to a ward due to side
effects making me very ill.
Hopefully two weeks we fly by as can't suffer this much longer, I feel ill & depressed just not right at the minute..
Thank you all again . Take care all xxx
Hugs xxx

Spoke to Lorna ..

I spoke to Lorna secretary to mr sufi @ Whittington .
She said mr sufi is going to look at my notes then the anesthetist will look at them.
I then have to let her know when I'm next in hospital for my pump surgery.
My pain consultant who is an anesthetist himself has to take some x ray with dye under the floroscopy so sufi & team can see the pump @ catheter & see where to avoid during wls
surgery..
Lorna actualy felt for me seeing it's taken so long but it's small steps in the right direction. It's not like either of these surgeries can be rushed. Lorna said once mr sufi has every in front of him then he sees me the last bit will woosh by!! :)
Hugs xxx

Last edited:
Back