• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Puree stage difficulties/general concerns

everpositive

Not massively interested in food still, even though I am supposed to be taking the pureed stuff now. That said, I do get what I would call hungry with an empty, gurgly feeling in my tummy.

At my mums today, she offered to mush up some left over boiled potatoes from her tea last night, she added milk, a little marge and a tiny bit of grated cheese. I agreed with enthusiasm and thought this sounded delightful. It was quite sloppy but was a bit lumpy too (my mum is partially sighted). It tasted ok. Few minutes after it, I got the light head, general awful lethargic feeling and just felt like poo in general. Sort of a hangover less the awful headache. I'm so confused!!! I've felt like this a few times and not sure if its a 'dump' or I've just overdone it either by eating too much or having something not suitable at this stage.

Be really grateful if people could comment what they were able to tolerate without feeling bad after. I kinda thought a little mash potoato with cheese was fairly tame?!?!? Maybe not for me? :(

hi claire i am struggerling to with eating food i am such a funny eater i am tolarating scrambled egg,fromais freigh,tiny bit of soup and little mash not all together though i am though enjoying ice lollies and i seem to feel ok after that not brill but at least it is something just keep trying things it is trial and error not nice way to find thing out what agrees with you but we got to keep going try to drink a lot of semi skimmed milk that has a lot of protein and calcium better than nothing keep trying i will keep my fingers crossed you soon get there
alison

You may have just eaten to much I felt like that a bit after tea had a small bit of chicken blended with gravy and carrot with 3 teaspoons of mash I ate about 5 spoons them that was it couldnt do anymore I get the gurrgling when I eat

you will also find some days you can eat more than others. remember to keep yr protien intake up to aide healing.

i was 'done' on 14.01.09 and i am eating some mushy stuff ok eg scrambled egg, baby yoghurt, ready brek, blended soup, baked beans with a little grated cheese...i tried mashed up baked spud with a little grated cheese the other day...but that really hurt. i am drinking peppermint tea with honey for trapped wind (!) and also quater strength ovaltine light. i had a 'catch up' chat with my bariatric dietitian this morning and she said just 'try' stuff...chew well and listen to your body...there are no hard and fast rules, and everyone makes mistakes...but slowly slowly catchy monkey!!!x

Mash and cheese got me early on too. Can be the fat content (marge, milk and cheese) and the carbs in the potato get converted into sugars too.

I've found that my fat tolerance has gotten better as I've gone along, so I'm ok with mash and (low fat) cheese now, but hardly ever have it.

The early days are a learning curve, just keep trying different things and see how it goes. If you start to dump the easiest way to deal with it is to sleep through it.

No dumping is awful. You feel sick, faint, tired...like your life energy has been sucked out of you. I've had it once and needed a couple of hours sleep to recover from it.

I agree with the others, i would think that having milk, marge and cheese this early on is probably what caused the dumping.

Like Shel, my tolerance for fat has increased, but if i eat too much, the following day i get horrendous stomach cramps and sloppy poo! So that is enough to stop me being a piggy.

One thing i avoid like the plague is milkshakes!

It is a learning curve, and even though you can't tolerate some things now, doesn't mean you'll never be able to have them again.
At the start it's also hard to remember, slow slow slow, and chew chew chew...

Hi - theres a few different forms of dumping, some get early stage dumping which is almost instantainious and you know you have it as its unpleaseant, and some get late dumping -when i've had a large meal i get that kind of sunday roast dinner blow out feeling, i have to sit down and rest as it feels like someone's pulled my batteries out - thats a type of dumping !

I think as your still early and dont have much tolerance to different foods yet you may have experienced mild dumping, you also didn't have much else inside you, its difficult to explain but had you had a balanced meal with protein and carbs you would have maybe handled it a bit better, things will get better the further along you go - i'm 5 months plus now and still learning and experimenting !

Hope that all makes sense :D

what is it when you actually 'dump'??? ive read about it...i mean i have felt tight and retched a few times but i dont think that is dumping is it???x

Here you go !

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Dumping Syndrome

Dumping syndrome is a common side effect after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RNYGB) surgery. About 85% of gastric bypass patients will experience dumping syndrome at some point after surgery. The symptoms can range from mild to severe.
Dumping usually occurs due to poor food choices. It is related to the ingestion of refined sugars (including high fructose corn syrup) or high glycemic carbohydrates. It can also occur with dairy products, some fats, and fried foods. These foods rapidly empty from the gastric pouch into the small intestine which triggers a cascade of physiologic events.

The effect of dumping is twofold. It is both good and bad. The benefit is that if dumping occurs after eating these foods the patient is less likely to eat that food again. It is a built in mechanism that says, “I shouldn’t have eaten it the first time, and I definitely won’t eat it again.” This is called negative reinforcement. The fact is these foods will interfere with long-term weight loss and should not be eaten anyway.

The bad news is that dumping makes you feel awful; it can be confused with other problems; it is scary and sometimes difficult to manage; and it may have some short-term physiologic consequences.

There are two types of dumping:

1. Early dumping which occurs 30-60 minutes after eating and can last up to 60 minutes. Symptoms include sweating, flushing, light headedness, tachycardia, palpitations, desire to lie down, upper abdominal fullness, nausea, diarrhea, cramping, and active audible bowels sounds.
2. Late dumping which occurs 1-3 hours after eating. Symptoms are related to reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) which include sweating, shakiness, loss of concentration, hunger, and fainting or passing out.

Early dumping occurs as a result of rapid emptying of sugars or carbohydrates from the gastric pouch into the small intestine which causes the release of hormones (gut peptides) that effect blood pressure, heart rate, skin flushing and intestinal transit, leading to a light-headed, rapid heart rate and flushing sensation often accompanied by diarrhea. Late dumping symptoms are related to increased insulin after oral glucose (sugar) with subsequent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
The diagnosis of dumping syndrome is primarily made by obtaining a history of the presence of classic symptoms related to food intake. Management of early dumping can be relatively straightforward. First, the symptoms should be discussed with the Bariatric Surgeon. Dietary compliance with avoidance of refined sugars, high glycemic carbohydrates, or other foods that may be associated with the syndrome would be the primary treatment.
Management of late dumping that persists in spite of the above dietary measures may be treated with a small amount of sugar (such as one-half glass of orange juice) about one hour after a meal, which may prevent the attack. Medications such as Acarbose or Somatostatin may be helpful if still symptomatic despite dietary changes. -. One should consider the rare possibility of insulinoma or neisidioblastosis of the pancreas if late dumping remains refractory to medical management.

In summary, although bothersome and sometimes worrisome, dumping syndrome is not a life-threatening problem. Repetitive patient education about what to eat and what not to eat can manage early and late dumping syndrome. Also patients need to learn about and read basic nutrition labels. The benefit is that it teaches patients quickly that certain foods and additives cannot be tolerated. Patient compliance and commitment to long-term follow-up are mandatory.

I couldnt eat mash for months after the op, just kept coming back up. I found that cheese and spread cheese went down well. I eat full fat stuff now and high sugar stuff but have never experienced "dumping" thankfully.

Back