• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Now . . . POST OP !

Kevin1708

Century Club

Firstly, I really have to send out a gigantic ‘thanks’ for all the wonderful messages of support ~ it really is great to know there is a ‘network’ out there.

My last post (from memory) was the night before surgery – I had been told that I would be going to surgery around 07:45 the following day (Tuesday 5th April 2011) so plenty to do the next morning . . . My last meal was . . . a cheese ploughman’s !!!

Strangely enough I slept like a baby and was up and showered the morning of the op and sat on my bed waiting for the nurse.

The room and the facilities were top class as was the staff – I cannot speak highly enough of them.

I remember chatting to the anaesthetist while laid on the operating table (me, not him) then the next thing I knew I was waking up in the High Dependency Unit. What a strange sensation . . . and would you believe it ~ the nurse in charge of the ward lives a matter of 5 mins from me ! I felt awful, not so much in pain but, well just awful – impossible to describe save as to say I never want to feel that way again. I was lucky as I had a ‘self administering Morphine drip’ so pain relief was a simple pres of a button away. I fell in and out of sleep for most of the afternoon.

Maybe I should explain here that I opted for the open bypass surgery ~ as those of you who have come to know me even a little over the last couple of weeks will know, I tend to over obsess and my research into to WLS has been extensive to say the least. Not wanting to rehearse early lively debate about which operation tops which my decision to have a bypass was (in my mind) based on very sound reasoning. The reason behind opting for open was simple ~ do I want a neat inside job with a scar or a neat outside job (with potentially 5 scars) when the open is truly tried and tested . . .

I was moved back to my room the following day (Wednesday) – the pain was immense and the feeling of “what have I done” was overwhelming – to be honest if I could have turned the clock back I would have – this feeling remained with me all Wednesday and all through Thursday. I would say it was a mixture of pain, sickness and “Hell my life has changed, what have I done”.

I had my gastrography which was passed with flying colours. I was again returned to my room and told I could have a sip of water and would be given clear soup later that day (Oh joy!) I was visited by the dietician and spend some time going though what was ahead of me for the next few weeks.

I was advised to wear loose fitting clothes for a week or so – I told the nurse that If I had loose fitting clothes I would not have needed their services !

When I woke up on Friday Morning life seemed a little brighter, the birds were singing and there was a glimpse of sun in the sky . . . one of the nurses had one too many buttons undone (I have that affect on women) and I thought, maybe things are on the up?

I was seen by my consultant each day but for a final debrief (some of you have filthy minds!) on Friday am. I was told everything went very well and that all my bloods and liver etc. were pristine. I was collected later that day.

Saturday and Sunday brought much improvement though it did still hurt to cough or sneeze.

On Monday I returned to work for a few hours.

Here we are on Thursday PM just over a week post surgery and I feel fantastic . . . The food thing is a little strange as in I am eating 5 – 6 meals a day consisting of low fat/sugar custard, Muller yoghurt, rice and some puréed bits and bobs. I have had no problem with digesting anything (which I hope is not a bad sign) and have even tried Morrison’s own eat smart crustless quiche which is so savoury it hits the spot. I even had a Heinz Tomato Soup at Morrison’s Café. I am having some problem drinking 2 litres of water/ milk a day which is strange give the quantities I would drink pre – op.

I hope I am doing everything as it should be but somehow it all seems too easy. I suspect I will struggle to remain on the puréed stage for 4 weeks – but let’s wait and see . . .

It would be great to hear from you guys . . .

Kevin xx

PS . . . In an earlier post I questioned “do we tell other about the surgery” . . . I was against it at the time of posting butr now feel that honesty is the best policy in part for safety reasons and also it is so unfair expecting those who know to lie for you and let’s face it there is now so much in the new about WLS it will soon be trendy to have WLS xxx

Wow Kevin,
You have done really great, hope it all goes well for you..... Keep up the good work, it will be worth it in the end
Tasha xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Kevin it's fantastic to see you back here. We were starting to worry about you. Glad everything went well and you're out of pain and back home. Might have known you'd find a chance to flirt with a nurse lol.
Many congratulations on being on the losers bench. I have a feeling you're going to do very well.

I was surprised you could manage Heinz tomato soup though. I thought that had lots of sugar in it?

Hiya Kevin :wavey: Welcomed back.
I thought you had 'bought it' on the operating table for a while there!!!:asskick: :break_diet:
Lol.
Take care with your recovery.
PS Men with scars are yummy, it's something to kiss better.

Lynne xx

Hi Kevin, glad to see you're back and ok, I wish you a speedy recovery, Karen x

Really pleased all went well Kevin x

yay welcome home Kevin!! ive missed you and your posts!

Very glad to hear you are doing well - waking up after surgery is really undescribable and im so glad i dont have to do it again!

Anyway, nothing like a nurse to perk you up hey ;)

x

Hi Kevin glad to gear you are home and well on your way to recovery we were starting to worry about you. I also managed tomato soup a week after surgery and so far I haven't had any problem foods yet, so I am keeping my fingers crossed when it's time to try bread and pasta! Xx

I was surprised you could manage Heinz tomato soup though. I thought that had lots of sugar in it?

Not sure about the sugar hun but it was fine, lots of salt and pepper just the way I like it – it would have been better with a couple of bread rolls but those days are gone . . . I have even tried some minced meat and again this was fine. xx

Nice to see you back
So pleased all went well for you, been keeping an eye out for your post, and was a little worried we hadn't heard anything for a few days.

Sounds as though you are coping really well, and I'm pleased you feel you have made the right decision.

Keep us posted on how your progressing

Take Care

Kim x

Never one to be accused of a timely reply, only just read this and found it useful! As a pre-opper I am going through alll the old posts to ready myself! Glad to hear yours went well!!
X

Back