• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Puree stage help

TiaLi

@SAM55 : There weren't any complications, the surgical team just didn't think I was ready. I'd get short of breath and dizzy just walking a couple of yards to the bathroom and was in a lot of pain, and very pale. The surgery itself went really well according to my surgeon. My body just seems to be slow in terms of healing internally. I think it's still in a bit of shock.

Definitely not going out to Tesco - only do deliveries! I find it tiring enough walking up the stairs. Can't even walk my dog, have my dog walker come pick him up. And yeah, I'm crap at asking for help. On Tuesday it will be three weeks out from surgery. Just waiting for that day when I wake up and feel fine again. I did have a friend staying with me for a couple of days after I was discharged, but she's had to go back now (she doesn't live in London). I wish I could tell more people but I really don't want this surgery to define me, and I don't have the energy to deal with ignorant views.

The plan was to have a tummy tuck if I managed to lose all the weight. No way in h***l am I doing that any longer haha - no one cuts into my abdomen again!

On the plus side I can literally feel the weight dropping at the moment x

SAM55

@SAM55 : There weren't any complications, the surgical team just didn't think I was ready. I'd get short of breath and dizzy just walking a couple of yards to the bathroom and was in a lot of pain, and very pale. The surgery itself went really well according to my surgeon. My body just seems to be slow in terms of healing internally. I think it's still in a bit of shock.

Definitely not going out to Tesco - only do deliveries! I find it tiring enough walking up the stairs. Can't even walk my dog, have my dog walker come pick him up. And yeah, I'm crap at asking for help. On Tuesday it will be three weeks out from surgery. Just waiting for that day when I wake up and feel fine again. I did have a friend staying with me for a couple of days after I was discharged, but she's had to go back now (she doesn't live in London). I wish I could tell more people but I really don't want this surgery to define me, and I don't have the energy to deal with ignorant views.

The plan was to have a tummy tuck if I managed to lose all the weight. No way in h***l am I doing that any longer haha - no one cuts into my abdomen again!

On the plus side I can literally feel the weight dropping at the moment x
Out of interest how quickly did you think your body would heal? I remember when the NHS wanted you to come back after every op for a check up at 6 weeks, as that is the time they say it takes for most things to heal, and that is for surgery where you are eating normally afterwards... This is a big op that you have had, don't be fooled by the keyhole... any surgery of this type is a trauma to the body so it will be in shock as it isn't doing things the way it is used to and will need to adjust. Be kind to yourself. :hugs:

By the way, I decided to tell everyone that mattered, and also a few that didn't. I have had nothing but support and couldn't have got through it without it. It was also surprising that some knew others who had had it done. People thought i had done a really brave thing and no one has judged me, well not to my face anyway ;) . The only down side I have experienced is from people who don't know me very well who I don't see very often, commenting on how well i am doing, but that is the only conversation because they know not a lot else about me so it gets boring... yawwnnn...

Take it one day at a time and focus on getting those nutrients inside you :)

TiaLi

Out of interest how quickly did you think your body would heal? I remember when the NHS wanted you to come back after every op for a check up at 6 weeks, as that is the time they say it takes for most things to heal, and that is for surgery where you are eating normally afterwards... This is a big op that you have had, don't be fooled by the keyhole... any surgery of this type is a trauma to the body so it will be in shock as it isn't doing things the way it is used to and will need to adjust. Be kind to yourself. :hugs:

I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but yes, the fact that it was laparoscopic probably had me fooled a bit. I think what made me start to worry was when I saw the difference between me and other bypass patients at the ward. One lady went home the next day. She had virtually no pain at all, and would even sit and cough without flinching. When I coughed I had to hold a pillow across my stomach - and I'd still end up screaming. Same thing with another lady who had a sleeve. They slept on their side the first night - crazy! I still have to sleep on my back, three weeks out. Some of the nurses weren't particularly helpful either, they kept telling me how most people would have been discharged by now (they wanted the bed) x

countrywench

If you think about what has happened inside your body , it's no wonder it takes time to heal .. you've had parts moved where they naturally should not be .. your body is going to wonder what the hell has happened and is going to take a long time to fully heal .. our bodies are amazing and very resilient given time .. I only had a band fitted , but it was stitched into place and I knew those stitches would be very delicate until healed , and I took a whole week of taking it extremely easy .. Your insides have stitches in more places than I had so your going to be feeling more poorly than I did for example ..
will all be worth it when you see those pounds come rolling off on the scales :)

countrywench

Hi Tia
Doing any better today ?
How come you've not done your stats on the side ? It's great when you can minus the pounds ! Love updating that .. it's also shows how far you've come and something to be proud of ..
this is also good for any new members who are seeking a ' support friend ' who has had the same operation ..
Take it easy still and sip sip sip !
Mindy
Xxx

TiaLi

@countrywench Feeling a bit better today thanks, not as tired and lightheaded! Still find most foods revolting, but I'm getting by on yogurts and juice. Noticed I have two big rashes yesterday though, so just hoping that's not something serious (or that that will spread). Starting to have some weird occasional pains now and then in some parts of the abdomen as well, but I think that's just the muscles and nerve-endings starting to heal up. At least that's what I tell myself!

I did notice yesterday when taking a shower that I can now bend over a bit more than what I used to be able to as well. So this time I could actually adjust the taps on the bath with my hands instead of my feet :D

I haven't weighed myself yet, so I don't have any stats to update. I've made a conscious decision not to weigh myself too often, because it tends to mess with my head a bit. If I have longer times in between weigh-ins I feel I get a better and more motivating view. Too easy to get stuck on "why didn't I loose anything over these past days" otherwise, which isn't very helpful. So my first weigh-in won't be until my followup with the surgeon, in mid-May! :)

SAM55

@countrywench Feeling a bit better today thanks, not as tired and lightheaded! Still find most foods revolting, but I'm getting by on yogurts and juice. Noticed I have two big rashes yesterday though, so just hoping that's not something serious (or that that will spread). Starting to have some weird occasional pains now and then in some parts of the abdomen as well, but I think that's just the muscles and nerve-endings starting to heal up. At least that's what I tell myself!

I did notice yesterday when taking a shower that I can now bend over a bit more than what I used to be able to as well. So this time I could actually adjust the taps on the bath with my hands instead of my feet :D

I haven't weighed myself yet, so I don't have any stats to update. I've made a conscious decision not to weigh myself too often, because it tends to mess with my head a bit. If I have longer times in between weigh-ins I feel I get a better and more motivating view. Too easy to get stuck on "why didn't I loose anything over these past days" otherwise, which isn't very helpful. So my first weigh-in won't be until my followup with the surgeon, in mid-May! :)
Glad you are moving a bit better. Where abouts are your rashes? I developed rashes with the film dressings over my wounds, and they had to try a different make (which fortunately worked)! If not, then they could be an allergic reaction to one of your meds if they have come up since recently starting something new. Are you on any antibiotics? If so you need to check that out with your GP. The weird pains could also be wind or your bowel starting to activate again now you are managing some food. WLS patients suffer a lot with wind; some say the pain is worse from that than the wounds themselves...

TiaLi

Glad you are moving a bit better. Where abouts are your rashes? I developed rashes with the film dressings over my wounds, and they had to try a different make (which fortunately worked)! If not, then they could be an allergic reaction to one of your meds if they have come up since recently starting something new. Are you on any antibiotics? If so you need to check that out with your GP. The weird pains could also be wind or your bowel starting to activate again now you are managing some food. WLS patients suffer a lot with wind; some say the pain is worse from that than the wounds themselves...

One of the rashes is on my breast, and the other on my arm (same side). It's definitely not related to any new medications. I'm hoping it's just a heat rash or something. Will keep an eye on it over the next days to see if it's getting better/worse. I'm fairly certain the abdominal pains aren't wind, wind pain feels different (and yes, I agree - wind pain is horrible!). This is more like sudden twinges (almost feels like a tiny stab in the muscle), usually in proximity to where the incisions are.

Guess I should start having some more wind pains soon though, haven't pooped for over a week (sorry, TMI). Then again I'm not actually eating anything even remotely solid so...

Today's food:

Breakfast: 100ml blueberry yogurt drink
Lunch: 3 tablespoons of Skyr yogurt
Dinner: Can't bring myself to eat anything

I've finally thought of one thing that doesn't sound revolting: A ritz cracker or melba toast with soft cheese. Too bad I'm not moving onto solids for another 4 weeks. :p