• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question about pre op

MoonCake

My PCT said if I get approved its 2 years til the op and that you need to attend addenbrooks for 6 months for dieting..

My question is my BMI is only 42 so borderline for op anyway but I have a joint condition.. What if you drop a little on BMI by losing weight pre op? Can they then revoke funding as your BMI is below guidelines?

I would never be able to lose the weight I need to alone as I have such bad joints I can't excersize but I'm really worried if I get approved then see the dietician I may lose enough for them to say no!

Help please if anyone knows?

MoonCake xXx

No they wont drop funding as for a lot of PCTs its part of the process that u need to lose some of the weight first. Its usually only 5% of ur weight I'm told. Im still i. The early days though as i have been guaranteed funding but due to attend the group session at the hospital soon x

I attended Addenbrooks for 6 months, they prefer you not to have surgery if you get on well with their programme but I pushed for surgery & they informed my gp who got in touch with pct & I had my appointment at luton within 2 weeks. I was fast tracked as I had done milk diet etc. Had my 1st appointment in May & my op is july 12th. Still saw dietician, therapist & then consultant. I was surprised how fast & quick my surgery would be. Went for my pre op yesterday, all systems go now.

That's great !

I was told by the PCT that it would be 2 years from funding acceptance to op... With addenbrooks being part of the 2 years!

I really hope it wouldn't be that long, I'm in so muh pain.

What was your BMI when you got accepted?

My BMI is 42 so I need to apply for exeptional circumstances apparently.. I'm seeing my doc in 1 week to start te (third!!!) application! Fingers crossed!

How much did you lose through addenbrooks?

MoonCake xXx

It was 41 but I lost 2 stone and then put a bit back on cause I was told that if I kept it off it would prove I could do it on my own so I thought what the hell! I was determined and continually said I want surgery, its all I was there for going through the motions to get it.

I lost 2 stone last year and have put one back on since.

I've been denied 2 times for different reasons but the most recent being I haven't been on a 6 month diet... Which I tried Cambridge and now am seeing a dietician at the hospital.

I've not been watching what I eat the last week as I'm terrified he will tell me I'm not heavy enough.

I have hypermobility syndrome, my mobility is poor, I'm in pain all the time and I can't do anything with my 2 year old. I also hve a blue badge.

If I don't get approved for surgery, I don't know what il do, I see this as the last hope :(

MoonCake xXx

Take all of that with you when you see Dr park at addenbrookes, he is really lovely and helps so much, he actually spoke to pct for me so that I was referred really quickly, he knew that was my ultimate goal as I was unable to keep weight off and I proved it! Once you get referred to addenbrookes you are guaranteed to get funding for surgery after the 6 months if you still want surgery, its a stepping stone. I was worried I would not get it but just insisted all the way through. I knew I could lose a couple of stone as I had previously but always put it back on, it just went on a bit quicker after the milk diet.

At my group session we were told that te surgeons look favourably on anyone who manages to lose a bit of weight as it shows commitment on our part and makes the op less of a risk too.
Em xxxx

My application is now in the hands of my doctor! Il just have to wait and see, he did say he will try the normal route though as exceptional circumstances could take longer.

I'm ready to appeal if they reject me again this time!

MoonCake xXx

Back