• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question about time & number of fills.

stripeytop

How many fills did you need and over what period of time did you need them.

I'm looking at aftercare packages and there seem to be a huge difference (28 days to 3 years)

The hospital I would like to use (Spire) offer 6 months and say this is enough time to get the band right. The Hospital Group offer 2 years but I've not read any good reviews on their aftercare.

What happens after 6 months? Do you need fills for the rest of your life?

This is all a bit confusing. I thought it would be easier than this once I had made my mind up to do it.

Hi

I have had 4 fills and Im now around 7 months post band. I may need another small fill after christmas to get perfect restriction but will see nearer the time.

The aftercare is very important post op not just for your fills but for the dietry advice you will need.

My advice would be to pick the packakge with the best aftercare for you - take into account location of clinics for fills etc. You will no doubt need adjustments beyond a six month period. If you decide to go for the 6 month package you can pay for aftercare with another provider or just for fills but this culd work out more expensive in the long run.

God luck with your decision x

Hi Stripey, I had the basic package with THG and so pay for my fills and as a result of this have had no problems with after-care at all. I have all my help and advice from here and another forum plus an NHS Weight Man clinic.

So Far: Op March, First fill (under x-ray) April, 2nd fill July, 3rd fill October. Very pleased with results - haven't been weighed for about 4 weeks (getting it done next week) but know I have lost as my jeans fell down today.

Best of luck x

Hi Ya - I had my band fitted with THG and i find the after care really good, I've had 2 fills since Aug when the band was fitted and going for my 3rd fill 1st Dec which i'm hoping will be my happy spot!!!!!

You will need adjustments for the entire time you have the band as it naturally aspirates fluid.

So the longer you can get the better, lifetime would be optimal with a private provider.

There is no averages, everyone is different.

My advice, make sure you can get lifetime if you can afford it.

Hi Caz - how does the band aspirate fluid - I know it happens but really don't know how. X

You will need adjustments for the entire time you have the band as it naturally aspirates fluid.

So the longer you can get the better, lifetime would be optimal with a private provider.

There is no averages, everyone is different.

My advice, make sure you can get lifetime if you can afford it.

Caz

None of the providers I have seen offer a lifetime of adjustments. The best you can hope for aftercare wise to include fills/defills is 2-3 years, then to pay for an alternative when needed.

Some providers have enhanced their aftercare by extending the period and some have included either a specific number/limit of fills to be more competetive but 3 years unlimited is the most I have seen.

Maz

Yes, three years is the most I have seen too. I'm sure a read a post on here from someone who went private for surgery and then their local pct picked up the aftercare. I wonder what my chances are!

Just another question - you say you need fills for the life of the band. Would that be about once a year? How long do most people keeps their bands in for?

Yes, three years is the most I have seen too. I'm sure a read a post on here from someone who went private for surgery and then their local pct picked up the aftercare. I wonder what my chances are!

Just another question - you say you need fills for the life of the band. Would that be about once a year? How long do most people keeps their bands in for?

Its worth a try!

I think once you have lost all your weight and want to maintain it will be a case of fine tuning but I dont know if that would be once a year or less.

Bands are a fairly new thing so not really an answer but no one can predict how long a band will last. Some develop faults while from what I have read (not on here) some people have had one in place for 15+ years.

The simplest way I can explain how fluid is lost is that it evaporates.

Slowly over time the saline fluid turns to a gas (very minute quantity) and this can escape through microscopic pores in plastic.

Think about how a helium balloon deflates over a long period of time. The molecules of helium are smaller than the molecules of the foil and therefore can pass through them.

The condensated gases from the saline basically do the same thing.

It usually happens about 6 months after a fill, thats why after getting to initial restriction, a maintainance fill of 0.5 is often required.

Back