• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question for Banders...

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi everyone, could you explain what it feels like when you eat something and get "blocked" also, how do you get unblocked? I'm on soft food at mo and have had no problems but I'm wondering for when I go onto a more normal diet.

a block is usually caused by not chewing the food enough, and a lump gets stuck in the band hole, if the food is continued to be eaten after the block occurs its backs up in the pouch as it has no where to go, the more the pouch is filled with continuos eating, the "feeling" will come its like a heavy dull ache, and eventually you will be sick.
that gives instant relief from the "feeling". if this continues boiled hot water sipped can unblock the trapped piece of food in the band hole as it softens and flushes it through.
thats my experience of it but everyone is different.

liz x

Thanks Liz, that is really helpful.

your welcome jenni also remember on solids dont rush your meal, as if you put the food in quicker than it can pass through the band it will also cause vomiting, a tip i got back in my early stages that helped me slow down with a meal was to put down my knife and fork between mouth fulls and do not pick them up again until the previous mouthfull had been thourally chewed and swallowed, i never thought i was a speed eater until i was banded, i was always 1st to finish my meal at a family lunch now im always last even my 8 yr old son is done way b4 me.

liz x

I get this feeling on pressure and tightness in chest (oesphagus) and sometimes a burp can clear it. Sometimes I get a gurgler, you and hear it and that is very odd. I have not had to be sick for 3 months now, I find a good way to clear a stoppage is to sip a drink slowly and carefully.

Its always caused when I eat something too fast because I am too hungry or if I have not chewed enough or not paced the swallows.

I get this feeling on pressure and tightness in chest (oesphagus) and sometimes a burp can clear it. Sometimes I get a gurgler, you and hear it and that is very odd. I have not had to be sick for 3 months now, I find a good way to clear a stoppage is to sip a drink slowly and carefully.

Its always caused when I eat something too fast because I am too hungry or if I have not chewed enough or not paced the swallows.

hi caz hunger can often make banders eat very quickly, that comes from old ways, and is an unconciuos thing we do, but the band makes us learn the hard way thro vomiting and learning to slow down and to chew better after having that experience, no amount of guidence can help this its some thing all learn through experience of having a band, food is an addiction and the physical side of being banded and learning to live with it comes from personal experiences. i still push me luck and try to eat things i know i cant, i then pay the price 4 that but we all human after all, being banded isnt a magic cure that we all look for and long for, to get where we want to be with our sizes, its a long learning curve in our journey to be a heathlier, slimmer us, after 4 years im still learning.

liz x

Last edited:
all I can say, is try not to let it happen:). Take the advice of chewing well, put your knife and fork down between bites, dont drink when you eat, and if you get any slight uncomfortableness, stop. Put the food in the microwave, wait for 10 minutes to see if the problem subsides. Sometimes being sick is the only way to relieve the pain. Let me tell you from experience, if you are sick, do not try to carry on eating, give it up as a bad job. You will not starve if you cannot eat all your dinner in one go. Unfortunately, due to conditioning that led us all to get the surgery in the first place, you have to change your whole mentality, which does not happen over night. I had my band fitted almost 10 months ago and I am still being sick, trying to eat more than I should be able to and trying to learn to stop eating after being sick. Good luck and just remember that you have to work with the band, which takes some time to adjust to.:copon: mynewlife

Back