• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question for experienced Banders

AA1234

evening al. I was just wondering if this was normal.

I am due my first fill on Wednesday (I can't weight). Anyway, at the moment I can eat anything and pretty normal sized portions. I am of course on a low calorie diet so with the pre op, liquids, slops and normal food I have lost close to 3 stone. I know full well that if I did not have the band this is were my diet would begin to fail.

I have a small band with nothing in atm. Is it normal to feel absolutely no restriction at all and eat normal portions before your first fill? I don't even get a twinge (like I did a while back). If it wasn't for the fact that I can feel my port I would swear I didn't have a band in.

I am sure everything is fine but I am one of those people that think if something can go wrong, it will for me.

Hiya

Not going to be much help here but from what Ive heard this is normal........but Im feeling restriction stil, then again I dont know what size band I have or if there is anything in it.

As long as your sticking to low fat and low cal you will be fine. Good luck with your fill - mines on Monday x

Yes its normal

Hi Sue,

I am so glad you said that... I was starting to think the same thing about me, I had my 1st fill today, so back on liquids again for a week.

Yep I was starting to eat my normal size portions...
OMG - well done you for losing 3 stone that is amazing.

Did you have your band fitted with the hospital group?
I really feel like they have let me down, they told me that I would have all this after care/calls/support etc (which is what I paid the extra money for)
I have had nothing.. Its been me having to do all the calling etc..

Hi Em

I was done by Hospital group almost 3 weeks ago and as yet have had no contact from them whatsoever and had expected at least a courtesy call to check if I was ok after the op :mad:.
I'm starting to get a little worried as I 'd hoped to at least have spoken to the dietician before I move onto normal food.

when did you have your band fitted?

Hi, I am with Healthier weight and get a call once a week from the dietician and there are support groups I can attend (although they have not fallen on day I can attend as yet).

At the moment I can say that I am happy with my aftercare. I was sent a Band Fill record book today (which is why I know I had a small band with nothing in). I can also call them whenever I need for help and support.

Why not give them a call and find out what you can expect as part of your package? i was told before hand what to expect.

Hope to hear form an experienced bander but feel better knowing that there are others who are having the same experience.

Where is Liz when you need her lol.

Hi ladies.......I was talking to Wendy Stubbs at WLSG (formerly she was at the Hospital Group) when I had my fill last weekend about exactly this sort of problem and she said to me she would talk to anyone (banded with WLSG or not) if they were really concerned or had questions that they cant get answered from their providers< she promised there would be no hard sell but as a trained nurse she was very worried about people who cant get answers as would offer free medical advice on the phone. The contact number for them is on the website....many people on here have aftercare from Wendy and Ive not heard a bad word about her yet :)

Thanks for that CB. I do actually have great aftercare from Healthier Weight and will be talking to them about it. I just would like to talk to other banders.

It is great to know that there are people that other can talk to though as there seems to be a number of people on here who have not had the best aftercare.

evening al. I was just wondering if this was normal.

I am due my first fill on Wednesday (I can't weight). Anyway, at the moment I can eat anything and pretty normal sized portions. I am of course on a low calorie diet so with the pre op, liquids, slops and normal food I have lost close to 3 stone. I know full well that if I did not have the band this is were my diet would begin to fail.

I have a small band with nothing in atm. Is it normal to feel absolutely no restriction at all and eat normal portions before your first fill? I don't even get a twinge (like I did a while back). If it wasn't for the fact that I can feel my port I would swear I didn't have a band in.

I am sure everything is fine but I am one of those people that think if something can go wrong, it will for me.

hi sue sorry i wasnt here earlier as im still poorly a week on with flu,and i went off to watch big bro x

what your experiencing is perfectly normal and if you can eat like this then your 1 of the patients that hasnt had a fill put in during there op.
nothing will go wrong !!! whats happening is that the swelling has now gone which gave you the initial restiction that you felt so now your normal desire to eat has returned, your body is now saying its better & healed after surgery and is now ready for starting the fill process. once you start getting fills you will start to feel the early stages of restriction with certain foods and then you can learn how restriction feels and how to cope with it.

please dont worry, this is a perfectly normal part of the banding process x

liz x

good luck on weds, ask them what size band you have and how much they have put in it.
you will be ok, good luck !

liz x

just out of interest i made my first band fill today my surgeon said to make an appoinment 3 weeks after op phoned today the first appiontment is exactily 4 weeks after op . Is 4 weeks the norm 3 weeks seemed pretty quick after the op?

It seems very early as I was just onto slops at 4 weeks. My providers guidelines are 7-9 weeks. THey would not do a fill earlier than that. I did ask as I wanted one lol.

6 weeks is the general guideline to allow healing to complete before a fill x

Back