• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling like a failure!

archiesmum

I am feeling like a failure at the moment. I have lost 27lbs since starting the pre-op and I know that this is ok in the time scale when I think about it logically. However I have little or no restriction at the moment and I'm eating "normal" sized portions - that's "normal normal" not my normal. I worry that I am eating too much and putting a strain on the band - can this happen? I'm due for my 2nd fill on the 8th Sept and I'm hoping for more restriction and better weight loss. OK moan over................

I am just a new bander, had it done on saturday and I am on liquids for 2 weeks, as long as your not having your old portions and are sticking to guidelines set by ur provider u will be fine, I am only having liquids, shakes, soups etc but dont feel hungry at all due to the swelling but my first fill is 7weeks time on 22nd october after a holiday to turkey which im worried about as I wont have any restriction but I am just going to be sensible. I cant wait to get the first fill as I want to feel how its going to be living with the band! xxx

well done on ur weight loss hun ur doing fantastically, keep it up and chin up, keep smiling :)

Hi Archiesmum

As a pre op I can't really give you any advice, but I'm sure someone will be along very shortly to help you...Just wanted to say that I don't think you are a failure at all....27lbs sounds good to me and you are maintaining a "normal" rather than your old "normal"...so a big pat on the back for that...

You have your fill soon so I hope things will get even better then.

(((hugs)))

HI hun, it seizes to amaze me how many people feel like this after a few weeks with a band. I am sure you already know this as you will have been made aware and prepared for it.

It takes time to get restriction with your band. You will not get it straight away (well very unlikely) Having the banded fitted is the first step but it is not until you start getting your fills and find hte sweet spot that you will get restriction.

I have had 3 fills now and have 8.3ml in a 10ml band. It is only after this fill that I am starting to feel restriction. However, I know that i have yet to reach my sweet spot as my portion sizes are still larger than they should be.

The loose weight and keep it off you need 3 things. Exercise, Healthy diet and smaller portions. The only thing the band will give yo is the smaller portions. The rest is up to you. It takes great will power with the band.

DOn't best yourself up, you are dong brilliantly and ar no different to most banders out there. Make sure you get your fills as soon as your provider will allow so that you can get to the sweet spot asap. My provider only makes you wait 2 weeks which I think is right for me.

Hun u r not a failure at all so pls stop thinking that. You have lost 2 stone already so ur def doing things right :)
Hun i cant offer u any advice as i am pre op bypass and know nothing bout bands but could you poss a day or 2 menu`s including all ur fluids and am sure some of the experienced post op bander's will be able to offer you loads of advice and support.
(((((big hugs)))) to ya and take care luv Roch xxx

stop worrying hun its perfectly normal to feel how you do untill you have some sembalence of restriction your going to be able to eat more, i think as long as your not gaining[and this happens to some] then your doing great

It's common not to feel much restriction - it can take a few fills. Speak to your dietician if you are worried, but I relied totally on willpower for the first 3 fills (no restriction at all) - so don't lose heart. Many people call the time post band op to reaching sweet spot bandster hell as many don't lose weight - they gain, so you have done brilliantly!

Thanks everyone. I know that things will even out once I get some restriction. It's the same old thing with me I want it now!! I'm now the proud owner of a treadmill and a cross trainer and I'm starting my exercise regime - my diet is healthy if somewhat bigger than I had envisaged at this point but I will speak to the bariatric nurse next week when I see her.

Archiesmum you are doing great almost two stone so far, not to be scoffed at.
Dont beat yourself up, you sound as if you are doing just fine, so hang in there till your fill then things will change again.
Well done

Jay xx

Archiesmum I dont think you should be allowed to use failure as you are far from it.

maybe you should call yourself a LOSER instead ? :p

p.s. thats meant in the nice way 2st is awesome hun:D

NO WAY A FAILURE...

You have only just begun the journey. You are still early days, with little or no restriction, so don't be so horrid to yourself.

You are a success, you will be a good loser, you have done so well already, once you get the sweet spot of restriction, you will fly...

Give yourself a hug instead of the slap you have...

Learn to love you...:)

Hi Archiesmum

you're doing great...only a few pound difference to me and in a shorter time!

I've just in the last week found that I can eat more, and have only had one fill yet so trying not to stress or compare my wl to others, which is always the danger :rolleyes:

your wl will probably step up now that you have some exercise equipment to play with.

not too long now till your fill...I don't have one booked yet but hope to get one sorted when I speak with the dietician this Thursday.

You are not a failure!! To have the band in the first place proves this. Once you get to the right restriction you'll start losing again. I even gained between my 1st and 2nd fill so don't worry. Just try and watch what you put in your mouth. Make sure its healthy and low fat and remember to fill up on loads of sugar free drinks.Good luck for your next fillxx

Thanks everyone. I know that things will even out once I get some restriction. It's the same old thing with me I want it now!! I'm now the proud owner of a treadmill and a cross trainer and I'm starting my exercise regime - my diet is healthy if somewhat bigger than I had envisaged at this point but I will speak to the bariatric nurse next week when I see her.
I know what you mean when you say you want it now, i'm abit like that...well no i'm alot like that . But hang on in there and get advise from all these people who have been there and got the t shirt. keep up the good work

Back