• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question for Karlos :):)

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi Karlos just want to congratulate u massively on such an amazing weight loss 175 lbs that is unbelievable and u only had surgery 7 months ago.
As u know i am pre op but fingers crossed will have my bypass in jan, my weight is very similar to ur start weight and i was wondering if by any chance u kept records of the foods you ate as obviously the food choices you made were spot and i would luv to have an amazing success like you.
Thanks and take care luv Roch xx

Hay thanks guys you are too lovely :eek:

First I want to make it clear that what worked for me might not be right for you. You should follow the instructions given by your medical team, but as far as what I eat………well if you’re sitting comfortably I’ll begin. (Come to think about it I haven’t been able to sit comfortably for months now my arse has lost a bit of it’s padding :D )

Early days I followed the fluid only diet, taking in A milk shake for breakfast and beef or chicken consume or strained broth for lunch and dinner. Basil Ammori did say I was not taking in enough in the first week, and said I was starving myself to death; which was not what he wanted me to do :D but eating anything was far from my thoughts in those first couple of weeks, I did have a third of a pint of milk around 10.00pm

Although they said I could have low fat custard and deserts at this time I found them too sweet and they made me heave, not dump, as I've never dumped, just the taste made me heave.

During my pureed stage I lived mainly on milkshake again for breakfast. Mid morning a low fat yoghurt. For lunch and dinner, mashed potato and Cauliflower with a little Oxo mixed in to give it some taste, with tinned mince or chicken pureed really smooth.
I would eat two tablespoons of mince etc and one of vegetables and did this for four weeks. I also had some pureed fruit a couple of hours after dinner and a third of a pint of milk around 10.00pm

Kath Rothwell told me to eat what my family was eating, but very little, and pureed to almost liquid consistency.
I believe it was following the instructions closely in the early days that prevented me having too many issues and served as the foundation for my current success.

Once I started to introduce soft solids I tried an omelette, some Salmon, Tuna and Cheese, all of which made me sick as a dog. I still cannot tolerate eggs or cheese. :cry:

Now my meal plan would be

6.45 10 Grapes
7.30 1 Weetabix with a little milk
11.00 Low fat yoghurt
13.00 Small Tuna salad with a tablespoon of coleslaw to make it edible (I know how awful of me, but it is low fat :eek:)

18.00 Dinner. Meat, usually chicken or minced beef, with veggies, or Spagbol with a little pasta, or Chilli with a little rice. I use a small bowl to ensure portion control (As even now I never get the feeling of being full so I have to measure everything) and would have twice as much protein as carbs. So a ratio of three tablespoons of sauce/meat and one and a half rice or pasta until my little bowl is full. Sometimes I can eat a little more, sometimes I cannot eat even this small amount.

I also have 2 litres of water (Flavoured) each day and as much coffee as my staff will make me :D. I know that’s bad too, but hay I’m no saint. :break_diet:

Weekend much the same, but I have a couple of spoonfuls of low sugar baked beans, with half a piece of toast and maybe even a piece of bacon with all the fat/rind removed.

My NUT is happy with my food plan and it has worked for me so far. My first advice though would be you should always follow the instructions given by your medical team. Some advocate protein supplements, mine don’t and I have never used them. Take you meds religiously and sip plenty of water each day.

It is also important that you move your tush as much as you can. Remember they give you this tool that you can use to loose weight. Use it well. Unless you get sufficient exercise you will not maximise your loss. I only wish I could have walked for the recommended one hour a day but my knees would not tolerate it. I would have been at goal last month if I had been able to walk each day.

Cheat as little as possible, I consider five crisps a fortnight as my extravagance, and luckily for me I gave up the booze ten years ago so I don’t feel the need for the demon drink.

So sorry but no secret formula for success other than follow the diet you will be given, and stay motivated. Once you start getting told how great you look the motivation takes care of itself.

If I was to offer some advice it would be to make sure you have a solid support structure around you. My other half has been absolutely fantastic and the rock around which my success is built. She prepares all my food for the whole day each day so I just have to open up the cool bags and eat. She still won’t eat naughty foods in front of me and never tries to get me to eat inappropriately. She put up with the psychological changes I have been through and has supported me every step of the way.

The support of your family and friends should never be underestimated.

Blimey what a ramble :D hope it helps a little. Worry not though honey you will be fine.

Because I want the loss to be as great as possible so my smile is bigger than when I got weighed before :D

So far, it's just been 1 big high. I don't want to get obsessed with my weight just yet. I'd hate to start getting weighed and one day, not lose any since the day before. I'd take that quite badly at the moment.

I wish I had your will power Mixie, I'm on the chuffin things every day. :D:D

Mind you I use them to gauge my intake each week, but my weight can fluctuate up or down 3 kilos depending upon how much fluid I've taken on board. Some days I'm just more thirsty I guess.

I didn't weigh my self in the early days as there were no scales in the house big enough to cope :D

Karlos congratulations you are an amazing inspiration. Thanks for that very helpful post too we have the same team and its great to hear what you are eating as i'm in the process of moving onto a more "normal" diet. Big hugs to you filled with so many OMG i'm so pleased for you wishes xx

Ty karlos will be saving this post so i can refer to it after my surgery. Fab advice as per usual :):):) xxx

Because I want the loss to be as great as possible so my smile is bigger than when I got weighed before :D

So far, it's just been 1 big high. I don't want to get obsessed with my weight just yet. I'd hate to start getting weighed and one day, not lose any since the day before. I'd take that quite badly at the moment.

You are just like me mixman.I get weighed once a month with my GP.When is your next appointment and will you go to thornbury or the Hallamshire?

Hay thanks guys you are too lovely :eek:

First I want to make it clear that what worked for me might not be right for you. You should follow the instructions given by your medical team, but as far as what I eat………well if you’re sitting comfortably I’ll begin. (Come to think about it I haven’t been able to sit comfortably for months now my arse has lost a bit of it’s padding :D )

Early days I followed the fluid only diet, taking in A milk shake for breakfast and beef or chicken consume or strained broth for lunch and dinner. Basil Ammori did say I was not taking in enough in the first week, and said I was starving myself to death; which was not what he wanted me to do :D but eating anything was far from my thoughts in those first couple of weeks, I did have a third of a pint of milk around 10.00pm

Although they said I could have low fat custard and deserts at this time I found them too sweet and they made me heave, not dump, as I've never dumped, just the taste made me heave.

During my pureed stage I lived mainly on milkshake again for breakfast. Mid morning a low fat yoghurt. For lunch and dinner, mashed potato and Cauliflower with a little Oxo mixed in to give it some taste, with tinned mince or chicken pureed really smooth.
I would eat two tablespoons of mince etc and one of vegetables and did this for four weeks. I also had some pureed fruit a couple of hours after dinner and a third of a pint of milk around 10.00pm

Kath Rothwell told me to eat what my family was eating, but very little, and pureed to almost liquid consistency.
I believe it was following the instructions closely in the early days that prevented me having too many issues and served as the foundation for my current success.

Once I started to introduce soft solids I tried an omelette, some Salmon, Tuna and Cheese, all of which made me sick as a dog. I still cannot tolerate eggs or cheese. :cry:

Now my meal plan would be

6.45 10 Grapes
7.30 1 Weetabix with a little milk
11.00 Low fat yoghurt
13.00 Small Tuna salad with a tablespoon of coleslaw to make it edible (I know how awful of me, but it is low fat :eek:)

18.00 Dinner. Meat, usually chicken or minced beef, with veggies, or Spagbol with a little pasta, or Chilli with a little rice. I use a small bowl to ensure portion control (As even now I never get the feeling of being full so I have to measure everything) and would have twice as much protein as carbs. So a ratio of three tablespoons of sauce/meat and one and a half rice or pasta until my little bowl is full. Sometimes I can eat a little more, sometimes I cannot eat even this small amount.

I also have 2 litres of water (Flavoured) each day and as much coffee as my staff will make me :D. I know that’s bad too, but hay I’m no saint. :break_diet:

Weekend much the same, but I have a couple of spoonfuls of low sugar baked beans, with half a piece of toast and maybe even a piece of bacon with all the fat/rind removed.

My NUT is happy with my food plan and it has worked for me so far. My first advice though would be you should always follow the instructions given by your medical team. Some advocate protein supplements, mine don’t and I have never used them. Take you meds religiously and sip plenty of water each day.

It is also important that you move your tush as much as you can. Remember they give you this tool that you can use to loose weight. Use it well. Unless you get sufficient exercise you will not maximise your loss. I only wish I could have walked for the recommended one hour a day but my knees would not tolerate it. I would have been at goal last month if I had been able to walk each day.

Cheat as little as possible, I consider five crisps a fortnight as my extravagance, and luckily for me I gave up the booze ten years ago so I don’t feel the need for the demon drink.

So sorry but no secret formula for success other than follow the diet you will be given, and stay motivated. Once you start getting told how great you look the motivation takes care of itself.

If I was to offer some advice it would be to make sure you have a solid support structure around you. My other half has been absolutely fantastic and the rock around which my success is built. She prepares all my food for the whole day each day so I just have to open up the cool bags and eat. She still won’t eat naughty foods in front of me and never tries to get me to eat inappropriately. She put up with the psychological changes I have been through and has supported me every step of the way.

The support of your family and friends should never be underestimated.

Blimey what a ramble :D hope it helps a little. Worry not though honey you will be fine.

Just wanted to say you are an inspriration to us all!!! Your posts are always so helpful!! And how lucky you are to have such a fabulous and supportive OH!!! Lucky, lucky you!!!!

Well done hun! You look fantastic!!

You are just like me mixman.I get weighed once a month with my GP.When is your next appointment and will you go to thornbury or the Hallamshire?

It's in the next 2 or 3 weeks :D

I'll be going to the Hallamshire. I went a month after the op then they said they didn't need to see me for 3 months!

Great post very honest and you seem and look great.
I also gave up the drink 8 years ago at the time it made no weight loss difference , so glad today i have,nt got that complusion to drink now as well as the food complusion.

Hope your knees improve as time goes on.
Are you having treatment for them ? You may have mentioned this but not read it any where.
Have a good day Mia

Back