• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions about pre-op . How important is it ?? And how some people don't have to

loughpet

Hi,

Guys I a BMI of 31 I am going in for band in June.

I was told that I had to follow a pre - op diet of 1200 calories for one week beforehand. How necessary is it ?? Also can I eat whatever I want as long as not more than 1200 calories or do I have to follow the diet sheet provided ?

I know a few people who have had the band done abroad with much higher BMI's than mine and never had to do any pre - op's.

the pre op diet is very important as it shrinks the liver before the op and it makes it much safer and easier for the surgeon to get in past the liver, the diet sheet must be followed. Im very surpised you have actually found a surgeon that will do this procedure with such a low bmi.....good luck x

There have been quite a few people who have not followed the pre op diet and their liver has been big and the surgeon has closed them up and refused to do the op.
Even though u have a low bmi u could still have an enlarged liver for many different reasons hence the pre op is very important.
Hope u dont think i am being rude but can i ask why you are having wls when ur Bmi is only 3 points over the normal range.
Take care and good luck x

Hi,

No don't think you been rude at all . I have never had a weight problem and always was really slim until I developed a thyroid disorder about 7 yrs ago . I now have no thyroid and am consider as hypothyroid. I have found it impossible to lose weight since developing this condiditon and can't deal with it any more . I am 3 - 4 stone heavier than I was b4 I developed the condition.

I want it all to be over and feel like me again. This may not be big to everybody but it's very big to me.

Thanks all for your comments and advice

Good luck with your surgery... I initially thought you were bonkers having surgery when you only have 3 -4 stone to lose then i thought about i'd feel if i was 3 or 4 stone to go and couldnt shift it and realised i was being unjust...

I really hope you are successful and get down to where you are happy xxx

Back