• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions for pre-op assessment

gillabean

Really living now!
Hi everyone,
I am just planning my list of questions to ask at my pre-op assessment on Friday. Can anyone add anything to my list? I want to be fully informed and I am a bit worried that I might miss something.

Is there a dye test to show up any leaks after the survery?
Will I have an NG tube? If so, when will it be put in?
Will I have a urinary Catheter? If so, when will it be put in?
Can I take tramadol/HRT/Amitriptilyne/Levothyroxine after surgery?
How long will I stay in hospital?
Will I have help from nutritionist after surgery? Do I get checkups?
What about tiredness and weakness on a pre-op diet? Also whilst on liquid/mushy diet.
Visiting times?
Can I have anti-emetics whilst I am in surgery?
Can I take my own fan?

I can answer some of these for you now!

s there a dye test to show up any leaks after the survery? Yes - they put a blue dye down your throat which collects in your catheter and monitor it going down before they bring you round from anesthetic.
Will I have a urinary Catheter? If so, when will it be put in? Yes at the end of the surgery
Can I take tramadol/HRT/Amitriptilyne/Levothyroxine after surgery? Sure you can take all of this but in liquid or dissolvable form - hospital will send you home with all your meds in this format
How long will I stay in hospital? - 48 hours or a wee bit longer
Will I have help from nutritionist after surgery? Do I get checkups? Yes and they should be quarterly
What about tiredness and weakness on a pre-op diet? Also whilst on liquid/mushy diet. All the rubbish from the pre op diet passes after about day 2. On liquid and mush you will still be in recovery from surgery so expect to feel zonked!
Visiting times? From 1400 - thats at the Whittington but they do make allowances!
Can I have anti-emetics whilst I am in surgery? - absolutely, I was pumped full of them - tell your anesthetist. I still threw up immediately post surgery much to his disgust and ended up with the blue dye all over my face - looked like something from a Halloween fancy dress apparently!
Can I take my own fan? You might have to run that past the hospital as they like to check all electrical equipment before its used - they should supply you with one.

Hope that helps!

Hi everyone,
I am just planning my list of questions to ask at my pre-op assessment on Friday. Can anyone add anything to my list? I want to be fully informed and I am a bit worried that I might miss something.

Is there a dye test to show up any leaks after the survery?
Will I have a urinary Catheter? If so, when will it be put in?
Can I take tramadol/HRT/Amitriptilyne/Levothyroxine after surgery?
How long will I stay in hospital?
Will I have help from nutritionist after surgery? Do I get checkups?
What about tiredness and weakness on a pre-op diet? Also whilst on liquid/mushy diet.
Visiting times?
Can I have anti-emetics whilst I am in surgery?
Can I take my own fan?

Hi Gillabean,

Some good questions - I would have the same question re the tablets - mine also Levothyroxine, I've found this site which might help though stating that there is a liquid version available

Levothyroxine | Medicine | Patient UK

Hi Gillabean,

I found a fantastic list of questions to ask at the pre op assesment, can't remember where I read it but will try and find it for you tomorrow.

I know one thing I wanted to ask was what exactly was covered in the cost of the op, for example if I needed to stay longer then the expected time would I be charged for it? Would someone be on call 24hrs a day incase I experienced any urgent problems once I was home? If there were problems and I needed to be readmitted or seen by one of the team would I be charged for this?

There was a great long list and some of it I would never have thought of asking!
I'll find it for you moz,
Cuppa xx

Hi Gillabean

If you're going to Chichester - didn't have dye test

I take all of those meds bar thyroxine and you can take them post-op, but they will decide when is appropriate. I had some immediately and added back others as I could cope

You can take anything you like but there were fans there when I was in in April

They will give you a booklet about their food plan at post op where you see the dietitcian. You can ring them as much as you like the number is given

yep you'll be followed up but its a bit disorganised sometimes as to timing.

The pre-op can take as long as 4 hours and again its disorganised you whirl round various rooms, departments but they are all great, ask as much as you want to. If you worry re sickness or have been sick in previous surgeries tell the anaesthetist he'll ask you about previous surgerys and any problems or concerns. I was badly sick in all my previous ops but not at Chichester so he must have dealt with it in my cocktail of drugs as well as loading me up with Midazolam as I said I have never remebered recovery etc and thats how I like it..so he laughed and said I'll make sure you don't this time then...result just came to in ITU owing to B/P fandango but all sorted quickly

So exciting now as you get closer

Good luck

M

Back