• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions on the dreaded pre op diet!

vicky x

I started the pre op (no carb) diet today, I decided to start it today so I had the weekend to lay around feeling sorry for myself! Going by what everyone else has said I made the right choice as this way I'll hopefully feel ok for work on Monday.
I'm a bit confused as I've been given two different diet sheets, most of the info is the same but on one sheet it says I can have milk in tea/coffee but on the other it says black tea/coffee.
I was also thinking about rotating chicken and fish for eve meals but it says to have chicken/fish/eggs twice a day. If I had eggs for lunch what would I have them with?
It says I can have quorn in place of the chicken/fish, does that mean quorn sausages/mince etc?
Is there any vitamins that will help with the side effects?
Will exercise help shrink the liver?

Thanks in advance

Vicky x

I can't help as I did the milk diet but good luck and someone will advise u I'm sure - if not ring your team x

Mine is 2 eggs or slim fast in the morning, bovril drink or oxo drink at lunch and chicken or fish with veg in evening or it can be switched around plus 5 potions of fruit and veg starting on Monday.

Hi Vicky
I also had 2 different sheets with the info on for my pre-op diet. One said I could have milk and the other said no. I asked the nurse and she said no milk whatsoever.
So, my diet was ; piece of grilled chicken or fish for lunch & dinner. PLUS 2 eggs a day (any way but fried). Only green veg. No milk or dairy at all. No bread pasta potato or any carbs whatsoever. No sugar at all. I could have bovril, stock cube drinks (lamb is nice!) or bouillon . Drink about 2-3 litres water a day. Also, sugar free jelly.
I found it REALLY hard to be honest as I did that diet religiously for 3 weeks pre-op. It was worth it though as I lost 1.5 stone and felt very well! They said after my op how healthy my liver looked !
Good luck Vicky. Keep at it as it's worth it!
Sarah xx

I did the low car diet and I was allowed 1 pint of semi skimmed milk a day including hot drinks but not allowed any root veg I lost 15lbs on my diet

Hmm it's interesting that everyone's diet is so different.

I got a few bits from the shop the other and I've ordered more, I'm worried about getting bored and slipping! I've only been on the pre op two day but I'm Going to get there!

Thanks everyone for their help

Vicky x

I thought I remember you saying before it was Mr.El Hasani! The same thing happened to me and I had mine at Chelsfield!
I had one sheet that said the diet included milk when I saw him initially (2010) and then the hospital sent me one that didn't include milk when they sent my admission letter. Sheila, the nurse consultant, said NOT to have any milk as I phoned asking the same question!
Have you been to their support group there?
Sarah xx

I had my op in December with Mr El-Hasani & I was allowed milk on my pre-op liquids through the day & then chicken/fish/eggs with salad/veg for an evening meal! Wasn't allowed carbs at all as was told it's the carbs that make your liver swell. Good luck x x

I was sent 2 different pre op diet sheets, one off provider and one off the hospital.
Luckily I took all my paperwork with me when i went to meet my surgeon last week and asked him, he was very angery with the hosptial for sending me the wrong information and wrong sheets as it was nothing to do with them, plus arranging dieatiton appointment as its my provider that does all this and this is what i was paying for. He cancelled the appointments they had made me as he said they would have charged me extra for this and he has put a formal complaint in as i would have done the hospitals diet if i hadnt of asked him, thank god i did.

Scary

I thought I remember you saying before it was Mr.El Hasani! The same thing happened to me and I had mine at Chelsfield!
I had one sheet that said the diet included milk when I saw him initially (2010) and then the hospital sent me one that didn't include milk when they sent my admission letter. Sheila, the nurse consultant, said NOT to have any milk as I phoned asking the same question!
Have you been to their support group there?
Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,

I haven't got to any of the support groups, My husband does shift work and I've got 2 young children and I work so I havent had the time but I feel that this web site is a good replacement.
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable asking 'silly' questions in front of everyone!

I think/hope that I'm doing ok on the pre op although I could of murdered my husband tonight, we've been up the hospital as our niece was born today so we've all come home starving and whilst I'm looking forward to my chicken and salad he starts cooking bacon and egg sandwiches!!! Thank god I pre cooked the chicken and prepaired the salad last night of I'm not sure I'd of been able to stand in the kitchen with that lovely bacon cooking under my nose!!
Only another 15 days (eek!)

Vicky x

Back