• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

quick response please .pre op and surgery date

jellykelly

so I've finally been given my surgery date today and was a lot sooner then expected having it this month!!!!! and pre op tomorrow anyone know what i can expect at pre op please ?????

At mine they just took blood in loads of little vials, took swabs from my nostrils and groin (I did that one myself) and took an ecg which I had to go completely topless for, which was awks.

I hadn't seen the nurse before and haven't since, but it was quick and not a big deal. Good luck!

I had a meeting with a pharmacist at mine to go over meds and vitamins post op. But the rest was the same as Oodles.

Yes don't worry they don't torture you..its just weighing, bloods and swabs! How exciting good luck

oh ok thanks for reply doesn't sound too bad except for getting topless .... was wondering if they did anything special for smokers (ex smokers).
also how long did it take : ) thanks

Mine took ages, lots of waiting around etc. In addition to the above I had an ECG.

It depends on the hospital but ultimately they're checking if your op fit.

Good luck!

Mine took about an hour, and I'm a smoker, they didn't ask or anything. My surgeon said after my op I'll have to stay on a lansoprazole daily as long as I carry on smoking, and otherwise I could have stopped at 6 months.

The ecg topless thing was horrifying at first as I wasn't expecting it. But it was a female nurse, she's seen loads worse and was really friendly. It didn't take very long and it was just one of those things. Don't fret :)

Oh and also there was no weighing or anything throughout all my consultations, apart from with the dietitian - who didn't weigh me again at my next check up! It was just a list of tests given to a nurse and she just did them, and I went home.

thanks for the kind comments very grateful I've been given this opportunity to better myself and with a lot of hard work i believe i can get to a place I'm more healthier , happy and confident .
thanks for advice will update on how it goes .

looking forward to this not nervous for hospital , or operation but only nervous for getting home and being sore and eating by myself / weird sensations as don't have a lot of support at home no one to help me in the home a little shy of doing clotting injections independantly as no one to do for me and phobic of needles haven't mentioned this but will just have to man up i suppose . x

Oh and also there was no weighing or anything throughout all my consultations, apart from with the dietitian - who didn't weigh me again at my next check up! It was just a list of tests given to a nurse and she just did them, and I went home.

thats good then ,hopefully will be quite short so i can get home and start preparing , I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy ice cube trays and put pureed food in for when i come home ? cant remember if its liquids straight after or puree .. will dig out my leaflets and remember the different stages .
did people eat ice cubes size portions straight after ?

I also live on my own and it was totally fine. The injections don't hurt, they do leave a small bruise but it's all good. It's over so quickly and by the end of the two weeks you'll be over your phobia I'm sure! I had friends pick me up from the hosp and stay with me for a day or two afterwards but to be honest I was happy when they went :) I don't like being fawned over!

I experienced wind pain for a day or two after the op and drank peppermint tea but didn't need any pain relief. I loved my recovery time off work and the food situation was not a big deal at all. You can't go wrong with milk and soup!

thats good then ,hopefully will be quite short so i can get home and start preparing , I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy ice cube trays and put pureed food in for when i come home ? cant remember if its liquids straight after or puree .. will dig out my leaflets and remember the different stages . did people eat ice cubes size portions straight after ?

I drank small glasses of milk and soup, hot choc etc for two weeks. It was delish. After that I bought everything going - made thick soups, cottage pie, fish pie with riced mash, and tbh I think I have several portions left in the freezer. I bought the smallest tupperware boxes I could find and it worked really well. When I went back to work I would empty one of the Tupperware boxes into this crock pot electric lunch warmer in the morning and it was ready to eat by lunchtime (we don't have a microwave). And I had a Tupperware box with one weetabix and milk for breakfast. Added the milk at home and it was good and mushy when I got to work.

I just told my boss I was having an operation and would be signed off for a fortnight. Only 4 people know what I had done - my friends who took me, and my parents. It's none of work's business! In my opinion :)

I drank small glasses of milk and soup, hot choc etc for two weeks. It was delish. After that I bought everything going - made thick soups, cottage pie, fish pie with riced mash, and tbh I think I have several portions left in the freezer. I bought the smallest tupperware boxes I could find and it worked really well. When I went back to work I would empty one of the Tupperware boxes into this crock pot electric lunch warmer in the morning and it was ready to eat by lunchtime (we don't have a microwave). And I had a Tupperware box with one weetabix and milk for breakfast. Added the milk at home and it was good and mushy when I got to work.

hmm sounds nice , really fancy a hot choc now lol through away my horlicks today in a protest to be good (really want it back lol)
now you've said that I'm going to look for a low fat / sugar hot drink that will be delicious for post op , already got the soups sorted but need a drink maybe a new tea blend ...
along time ago when i was getting ahead of myself preparing for surgery thinking it was going to be here sooner i brought 80ml tupperware pots , and i remember talking to someone don't know who or wear now but they said they will be too big so will look for smaller ones now.

if you think of anymore drinks you love let me know . thanks X

Um... I rarely have hot chocs now but you can get Options to be made with milk instead of water, which was what I used to get the protein in. They come in a tin tho and not the sachets! But I also had horlicks and ovaltine :)

I just told my boss I was having an operation and would be signed off for a fortnight. Only 4 people know what I had done - my friends who took me, and my parents. It's none of work's business! In my opinion :)

I agree , thats good same for me also only 2 other people know and that my immediate family don't really have anyone else i need to tell except for work.

at my MDT i asked how long i would need off , never got the answer because they said it depends on your job , my job is quite physical and manual handling .

i am a day off for my pre op and have to provide proof which may give the game away .

i made a thread ages ago asking people who they told and while some people own the situation i don't feel confident , and i am a bit skeptical of telling my works , i don't want anyone to know but at the same time don't want to lie , the nurse at the bariatric office said theres ways to be discreet and your GP doesn't have to say what the surgery is specifically .

what did your doctors note say and did you tell your boss/manager what the operation was for ? (my work place is very gossipy ! )

Back