• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Raring to go all advice welcome!!

Mand77

Hi All

I am being banded on 16th March @ Dolan Park by Mr Hewin. This is becoming very real to me now and I am experiencing a lot of different emotions from happy to panicking (in case anything goes wrong with the op).

I would love to hear any advice from what to take to hospital to how I mighg feel after my op. This is a culmination of trying every different diet and being able to lose weight but never keep it off then putting more on as well. I am at my heaviest weight I have ever been and have finally decided to claim my life back.

I look forward to hearing from you all :)

Hi sweetheart sorry i missed your post til now :) I was banded on 6th feb how your are feeling is completely normal honest.
With regards to advise on what to take to hospital there is a thread which lists everything you may need to take with you. Also you may find it useful to look out for the March thread lots of people already there due to have surgery this month, also a feb thread where lots have just had surgery recently (including myself) there are also loads of Banders diary's where people have logged their journeys from the beginning :) hope that helps some what x x x wishing you all the very best hun and welcome to a fab site

First things first - join this site before your op.

You've done that so - check! :D
I didn't and wish I had.

I don't want to give any conflicting advice and I agree with Crystal - this site will already answer many of your questions so - start trawling through.

All I would say is - don't pack too much, you won't need it, you'll be in and out quite quickly.

Essential! Get some Mint Tea and some Windeze. You will need it post op for the wind. Again, something I didn't know until I joined.

My dietician recommended making some soup at home to freeze as shop bought ones don't contain much protein (on a chicken soup ingredient I read: Chicken 2%) no, not much protein in that! You will need to wiz it and strain it.

Drink plenty of water on the liver shrinkage diet right up to the Op when they tell you to stop. Dehydration can be an issue. I didn't and not only did it make taking blood an issue but, I was put on a drip post op and was really dehydrated. I kept getting told off and told to drink more. Should have done as I was told.

Other than that...Hello and good luck!

I was banded on 5th January 2014 at Dolan Park, they will really look after you there, the after care was fantastic.

I was booked in to go home the same day, so just went with my hand bag and a pair of slippers, should of taken a dressing grown as you have to walk down to surgery. Oh and they give you lovely paper knickers to wear too, I asked if I could wear my own and they said I could as long as there were pure cotton, so worth remembering.

But make sure you stock up on mint tea, liquid pain relief, slimfasts, soups and yogurts. x

I was banded on 5th January 2014 at Dolan Park, they will really look after you there, the after care was fantastic.

I was booked in to go home the same day, so just went with my hand bag and a pair of slippers, should of taken a dressing grown as you have to walk down to surgery. Oh and they give you lovely paper knickers to wear too, I asked if I could wear my own and they said I could as long as there were pure cotton, so worth remembering.

But make sure you stock up on mint tea, liquid pain relief, slimfasts, soups and yogurts. x

Hi Donna, I have been having cuppa soups but was going to make home made vegetable soup and blend it, so I need to strain it, thanks

Hi Donna, I have been having cuppa soups but was going to make home made vegetable soup and blend it, so I need to strain it, thanks

I bought a soup maker and it blends it really well which saves you straining it, I just made sure that it was watered down slightly x

Hi ladies

Thanks for posting all info is greatly received. I have already bought something for wind & constipation but what do you recommend for pain relief are soluble paracetamol no good?

I am off to buy my last pair of big girl knickers lol can't imagine myself in paper knickers :)

Will update after my op. X

Hello and welcome!
I was given two bottles of paracetamol suspension and some tramadol to take home, but I used one bottle of paracetamol and that was all I needed.

Good luck x

hiya i was banded in wrexham october 7th 5months out now! Good luck! I will say just follow your providers advise and youll be fine keep your liquids up and take it slow! x x

Good luck! Don't take much with you to the hospital, you won't need it. Make sure you have a book to read/laptop to keep you entertained. Dry mouth spray was a godsend (you find it in the dental section in Boots).

Just take loose clothes to wear home the next day.

It'll be over before you know it - it's normal to feel nervous and wonder if you're doing the right thing. You are! Take control and don't look back x

Pain relief hmmm...

Well, I can't take NSAID's because of my asthma so aspirin, voltarol and anything from that family was out for me so immediately post op in hospital I was on opioid pain relief (morphine etc). I think that contributed to how sick I felt afterwards! NSAID's are far better in some ways as, not only do they provide pain relief, they also reduce inflammation.

On discharge I was given co-codamols and I'm certain that they will send you home with some medication. The hospital will advise you better where this is concerned.

Personally, the problem I found was that co-codamols etc. are all effervescent and as I was so full of air anyway I'm sure they didn't help. As soon as the actual surgery pain passed and I felt the co-codamols weren't needed I swapped to Calpol.

Problem with Calpol is that to get an adult dose 1000mg (1g) it looks like you've just chugged 1/3 of the bottle! I'm sure my local Asda thought I was a Calpol abuser. Visions of me sitting on a park bench swigging Calpol from a bottle in a brown paper bag makes me giggle! :D

Back