• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Citalopram anti-depressent

purplepansyem

Crazy Cat Lady ;)
I have been taking Prozac for nearly three weeks but haven't noticed any difference so my GP had taken me off the Prozac and put me on citalopram because he said it's more effective against anxiety.

I wondered if anyone else has/had taken this pill and if so, what were your experiences with it?

The depression and anxiety I'm experiencing at the moment is quite severe and I'm also stressed and restless.

He said it will take two weeks to start working and I may experience even more anxiety to start with :cry:

purplepansyem

Crazy Cat Lady ;)
Can you remember how long it takes to start working from the time you started taking it and also, were you prescribed any other medication at the start?

My Dr has given me 2mg diazepam to take 2-3 times per day.

My husband is terrified I will become addicted to them.

Crystalrainbow

Yes i used to take 20mg of citalopram for depression an anxiety, for awhile i was taking them along side amitriptyline..... I have since stopped both, despite having a real depression not so long ago..... i returned to the docs who again proscribed citalopram which made me terribly sick, so honestly i've not bothered since.....and somehow i managed to haul myself back out of that hole ......
When i was at the height of my anxiety (10 years ago) i was given diazepam, it just completely numbed me, which at the time i needed as i was on such high alert everything sent me thur the roof..... i remember having hubby sit up with me all thru the night, bless him..........but i can sympathise hunni, its not a very nice place to be..... have you considered getting some other kind of help ....maybe Reiki or alike.... i found it helped me sooooo much, i actually went and learned how to lay hands on myself which got me thru the real tough times..... i am now trained to the next level to help others, and would gladly send you some distant Reiki sweetheart x x x x x x huge hugs i hope this nasty place your in soon passes you by x x x x

siana58

Citalopram is an antidepressant in the same group as Prozac but has the added advantage of being a good drug to use if you have generalized anxiety accompanying depression - which is incredibly common ( 1:3 I think). Because of the way it works its effectiveness builds up over time, people generally say 2 weeks but I think it's more like 3 for most people. Because it builds up slowly you won't really notice that it's working until you suddenly realise you haven't had as many anxiety attacks over the past few days :) . Like others have said, careful with the diazepam . I think that Reiki and EFT would be great things to explore, especially when on a WLS journey as so many problems are in the old head and manifest on the hips and bum! Actually that's made my mind up, gonna book me some EFT....

shelleymarie

I've also been on citalopram for about 2 years. Took about 1 month to really notice a difference, I do still have some anxiety and low moods but I was in a terrible state when I first starting taking it so I do feel it helps. For me I think some sort of talking therapy is useful along with the antidepressants but you may not need that. I'm on 40mg a day.

As it's been said be very careful with the valium (diazepam) I was on them for 10 years and they are very hard to get off once you become dependant on them. You should never just stop them though, always decrease with the help of your GP. Short term use is fine to get you over the worst until your other meds kick in but then ask the doc to reduce them slowly for you, if you just stop it can be dangerous so be aware not to become reliant on them. I also take amitriptyline. Maybe mention that drug to your GP? it's an antidepressant but works great at reducing anxiety and helps you sleep. Just a little dose of 10mg at night could be really helpful and not addictive in the way valium is. What ever you do, always take as prescribed and you should be ok. Give yourself some time for the drugs to work too, sometimes it takes longer in some people than it does in others.

Oh and 2mg for the valium is quite a nice low dose, it goes up to 10mg so if you manage just one a day or two then you are already not hitting your maxium dose making it easier to stop them when you are ready. When I was first put on them they didn't really know the risks of addiction like they do now, so don't worry about it too much, the doctor won't want you on them for long. It's just to make the transition a bit less stressful for you and if it gets to the stage you are feeling better but the doctor is still prescribing the valium then you should bring it to their attention that it isn't a long term drug these days. Sometimes they need reminding, so we have to look out for ourselves too.

purplepansyem

Crazy Cat Lady ;)
Thank you all so much for your experiences and advice. My GP didn't give me a lot of the diazepam and I will be calling them tomorrow for some more. Having experienced a lessening in the symptoms, I don't want to run out.

I'm going to ask for them to be prescribed until the citalopram kicks in. I'll also be asking about the amitriptyline and might also ask for the citalopram dose to be upped from 20 to 40mg.

To say I'm desperate is putting it mildly. I've never been in such a dark place before in my life and my poor husband and kids are obviously feeling it too because I'm so...useless and clingy.

Talking to you guys is really helping me though so thanks to all of you from the bottom of my heart xxxx

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I take it too!

I've been on it now for about five years and it has really, really helped me. I hope it helps you too xx

shelleymarie

Good for you hun, take control of your illness, don't let it control you. Stay in touch with and visit your GP often. If you are feeling really bad try calling the mental health line - not sure of the number but you can google it. They give great advice and sometimes you need an objective outsiders opinion or just someone to chat with.

One thing you need to do right away, and I know how hard this is as I've been there, but you need to stop being so hard on yourself. You have an illness, no one chooses depression or anxiety, and you can't help it. You are already doing everything you can to tackle it. I don't know you but I think I'm right when I say you're not the sort of person who would bully someone right? If so, stop bullying yourself. You are not useless, you are suffering and when you feel this way, sometimes just getting out of bed in the morning takes great effort - so please try and be kind to yourself and keep talking. Depression is a lonely illness and isolating makes it worse. Take care x

siana58

Good for you hun, take control of your illness, don't let it control you. Stay in touch with and visit your GP often. If you are feeling really bad try calling the mental health line - not sure of the number but you can google it. They give great advice and sometimes you need an objective outsiders opinion or just someone to chat with.

One thing you need to do right away, and I know how hard this is as I've been there, but you need to stop being so hard on yourself. You have an illness, no one chooses depression or anxiety, and you can't help it. You are already doing everything you can to tackle it. I don't know you but I think I'm right when I say you're not the sort of person who would bully someone right? If so, stop bullying yourself. You are not useless, you are suffering and when you feel this way, sometimes just getting out of bed in the morning takes great effort - so please try and be kind to yourself and keep talking. Depression is a lonely illness and isolating makes it worse. Take care x

Extremely wise words, well said x