• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Struggling to eat

capiegirl

Hi, I had my op on 23rd June 2011 and have lost @5 stone, I am really struggling to eat enough (what is enough?) and have begun to avoid eating as I cant bear the sick/nausea feeling that it results in. Has this happened to anyone else? today I have had a banana, some grapes, 2 kids cheese sticks. tried some chicken but had to spit it out.

This happened to me a month or so ago too. I am lots better now though and although still hardly eat anything I do manage to eat enough to keep me well. I think it slows down weight loss to some extent but I can't help it........ I just dont want to eat.
Lynne x

capiegirl said:
Hi, I had my op on 23rd June 2011 and have lost @5 stone, I am really struggling to eat enough (what is enough?) and have begun to avoid eating as I cant bear the sick/nausea feeling that it results in. Has this happened to anyone else? today I have had a banana, some grapes, 2 kids cheese sticks. tried some chicken but had to spit it out.

This really doesn't sound like much. Little and often if your struggling with amounts.

My dietician told me that if the stage of food I was on was causing too much nausea then I should go back a stage for a week or so and then try again. So perhaps have chicken soup for a while, rather than chicken pieces.

I've tried those kids cheese sticks. They just taste like plastic to me.

Not being any sort of expert as only 4 weeks out, but may I suggest you get hold of your team. I only spoke to my surgeon yeaterday and he said it is vital to get the "normal stage" right for long term success.

They are there to help you with this, so seek advice soon, you are not meant to do it alone if its too difficult, get assistance.

Best wishes

If you are really concerned you cannot eat enough solids try supplementing diet with nutritious homemade soups, that worked a treat when I went through the nausea/vomitting stage and at least the soup stayed down. Also found the reason I was sick more often than not was due to waiting too long between meals, so now have a small snack such as fruit or yogurt or low sugar cereal bar to keep me going and now don't have any problems.
Eating enough protein was also a problem for me and I detest the powder supplements but took a recommendation of another weight loss member and use Marvel milk (20g protein to 57g powder made up) which I mixed with semi skimmed milk for a shake or added to soups/sauces.

Last edited:
Back