• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ready to start this new journey

AmericanMum

Hi, I'm new to this site. My journey to WLS is only in its infancy.

I have been overweight since the age of six and my adulthood has been one big yo-yo. I have never been at a healthy BMI/weight. However, I did fight my way from the obese category into the just overweight category a few times which was a huge feat for me. But the struggle continues and I have gained 5 stone in the past four years and this past summer hit my highest weight ever.

I first approached my gp about WLS about three years ago. My BMI was not high enough for the strict NHS guidelines. Last year I moved from the East Midlands to the south coast and approached my new gp about my ever-growing weight problem. My BMI was significant but I was told that there was a moratorium on Tier 3 weight loss referrals. Back in April 2014 I read that my NHS trust received a significant grant for weight loss surgeries and again approached my gp about it. It turned into a waiting game to find out when the new plan was going to go into action.

In September, my gp referred me to the dietician as he was sure this would be are a requirement for any future referral. (went down the dietician route back in 2009 with only temporary success) I started seeing the dietician in October and asked her if she knew anything about the grant for WLS. It turned out that she had just learned that week that her department won the contract for the WLS overhaul grant and got the ball rolling for me. I had to be under the care of the dietician for about 6 months with two co-morbidities (which I meet) before my gp can refer me for WLS. But the dietician had arranged for my gp to get the referral in so that I would given an appointment when the six months are up. She said that I could be looking at surgery before the end of the year. I recently saw my gp and we started the referral process. Last week I got a call that there was a cancellation for the Tier 3 clinic and I can be seen on 27th February for a 3-hour appointment. I'm currently waiting for my information letter and on pins and needles to read it.

I'm looking to have gastric banding. My mother had it done in 2006 and had great success with it. I saw everything she had to go through on her weight loss journey and know this isn't an easy fix. But it does work. I'm 42 and I've tried everything. You name it, I've done it. I'm just so tired of the struggle. I'm so tired of feeling so unhealthy all the time. I'm so tired of only know what it feels like to be overweight.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself as this seems a great place for support. I'm just really anxious for my first appointment and to find out what will happen under the new program.

minnieme62

Hi welcome sorry I can't help with anything as I'm at the very beginning of my journey just wanted to welcome you and wish you good luck x

westiedog

Hi, I'm new to this site. My journey to WLS is only in its infancy.

I have been overweight since the age of six and my adulthood has been one big yo-yo. I have never been at a healthy BMI/weight. However, I did fight my way from the obese category into the just overweight category a few times which was a huge feat for me. But the struggle continues and I have gained 5 stone in the past four years and this past summer hit my highest weight ever.

I first approached my gp about WLS about three years ago. My BMI was not high enough for the strict NHS guidelines. Last year I moved from the East Midlands to the south coast and approached my new gp about my ever-growing weight problem. My BMI was significant but I was told that there was a moratorium on Tier 3 weight loss referrals. Back in April 2014 I read that my NHS trust received a significant grant for weight loss surgeries and again approached my gp about it. It turned into a waiting game to find out when the new plan was going to go into action.

In September, my gp referred me to the dietician as he was sure this would be are a requirement for any future referral. (went down the dietician route back in 2009 with only temporary success) I started seeing the dietician in October and asked her if she knew anything about the grant for WLS. It turned out that she had just learned that week that her department won the contract for the WLS overhaul grant and got the ball rolling for me. I had to be under the care of the dietician for about 6 months with two co-morbidities (which I meet) before my gp can refer me for WLS. But the dietician had arranged for my gp to get the referral in so that I would given an appointment when the six months are up. She said that I could be looking at surgery before the end of the year. I recently saw my gp and we started the referral process. Last week I got a call that there was a cancellation for the Tier 3 clinic and I can be seen on 27th February for a 3-hour appointment. I'm currently waiting for my information letter and on pins and needles to read it.

I'm looking to have gastric banding. My mother had it done in 2006 and had great success with it. I saw everything she had to go through on her weight loss journey and know this isn't an easy fix. But it does work. I'm 42 and I've tried everything. You name it, I've done it. I'm just so tired of the struggle. I'm so tired of feeling so unhealthy all the time. I'm so tired of only know what it feels like to be overweight.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself as this seems a great place for support. I'm just really anxious for my first appointment and to find out what will happen under the new program.

Hi and welcome. i am very new too I had my band surgery on Tuesday x

los in it

Hello newbie!
Just popped in to wish you loads of luck!

Debs!

Hello

I found myself nodding as you described your route to where you are today in terms of WLS.

I went via the tier 3 route and now am almost at the operation stage - I've plumped for the sleeve though.

I wish you every success :)

AmericanMum

Hello

I found myself nodding as you described your route to where you are today in terms of WLS.

I went via the tier 3 route and now am almost at the operation stage - I've plumped for the sleeve though.

I wish you every success :)

Thanks, Debs! Good luck to you!