• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Really need some advice from post op'ers

Priesty

Hi,

I got my letter yesterday from St Richards confirming all my op dates (pre-19th feb, op 12th march).

I am happy and scared and excited and probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

My main thing I worry about is the loose skin issue. When I look at people's posts I find myself looking at the profile bits too see how much they weighed (most are less than me) then what they are now and if they have any pictures.

I think what worries me is that when I lose my weight I am going to be left looking like a deflated balloon and not be able to wear normal clothes which is my dream, instead I'll have to wear large baggy clothes to cover up things.

I know some may think I sound pathetic or selfish and I know that being a lot lighter is going to be healthier and better for me and my family. It's just i have never been thin, I have never weighed a normal amount since I was 5 years old. I don't know how to be or look normal and I really want it badly. Any advice or help please on how to deal with my feelings or the loose skin would be very gratefully recieved.

Thankyou

Paula XX

my BMi was a similar start to yr as i was an inch shorter but have grown an inch with weight loss. i was a size 26/28 im now a size 8/10 and wear fitted clothes with cleaver underwear.
when dressed you wouldnt know i had any excess skin and have got to admit i dont think i will be brave enough to wear anything that comes above my elbow or knee without tights or leggins on until i have it removed.
ive got some new pics to upload and if you send a friends request you will be able to see them. I need a full body lift but its preferable to being fat.
hope that helps
carole

I'm only half way through my weight loss, but being totally honest the loose skin is starting to get me down already. Its constantly infected and looks gross, but like Carole, with clever underwear it is still possibly to wear fitted clothes.

It is something we need to prepare for, as I think most of us who have been morbidly obese are going to be left with some degree of loose skin. Its not life threatening though, and carrying all that weight is - so its a price worth paying in my opinion.

Being completely honest with you, you will have an issue with loose skin once your weight has come off.

When I previously lost my weight (I lost 19st) i looked like a melted candle, to cut a long story short i was going to appear on Extreme makeover Uk back in 2005, I was going to have 2 operations, the first op was going to do my arms, breasts and a full body lift, the 2nd op was going to do my legs. However on the morning of my 1st op I passed out when the surgeon was marking me up. I was petrified and pulled out of the show.

I then appealed to the NHS to have the surgery I needed. After a lengthy appeal I won my case and it was agreed I would have all the surgery done on the NHS.

My 1st op being the loose skin removed from my upper arms.

The op went ahead in 2007, however I have been left with even more disfigured arms, they look like popeye. The pain was unbelievable and to this day they are still numb.

After this bad experience I once again pulled out of having any more surgery.

I had a baby in 2008 and put on loads of weight again.

I had my bypass in Nov 09, and have no intention what so ever having surgery to remove my skin once the weight has come off for good.

I would rather have the loose skin that can be hidden under clothes than go through more surgery and pain.

Like others have said on here, loose skin is not life threatning or damaging to your health - fat is.

Hi I'm a new bypasser so havent lost that much weight yet but i was around the same size as you (bit taller so lower BMI).
At the end of the day yeh we may look awful undressed but at least we will be healthy and if you look at the likes of Hoplescase and phatgirl there pictures are amazing.
Magic Knickers are the key i thinkxx

Hi,

Thankyou all. I think magic knickers and all in ones are going to be my favoruite item of clothing. I do want the bypass op and admit I am a scared of 'what i'll look like'. Like I said I have always been big as some of you have been and I don't know what I will look like and I think thats part of my problem.

I know several years ago I read an article in Rosemary conley diet mag about a woman who weighed 27st 7 lb she maintained she had lost all her weight and had no loose skin because she had used a brush everyday in the shower and bio oil and other moisturisers she also exercised everyday. It took her 9 months!!:rolleyes:

Now I'm not saying I don't believe her it's just it does seem improbable. However I shall try all of those things and keep my fingers crossed.

Thankyou again and I think your right I just have to accept the outcome and live with it. I know im never going to wear a bikini but a nice dress or skirt would be great.

Take Care

Paula XX

I am worried about loose skin too. I was 17 stone when I started and am now done to 13 stone. I have some loose skin (bingo wings) on my arms, but being realistic I am 46 and my mum had them too and she was never overweight so I think a lot of it could be genetic. I have a little bit of overhang on my tummy but I still have 2 stone to lose. I don't intend to have any more surgery but want to know of some good magic knickers or body suit - does anyone have any suggestions on what the best ones are out there?

Gok Wan ! he is my best mate lol he has some great underwear that goes up to size 32 and down to size 8 , iv wore things like this when going out for years as it just gives you a smoother line so wearing them when im slimmer is no problem , im close to loosing four stone now and the arms are showing already but iv not showed them for the last 20 years so its somthing iv learnt to live with , i feel iv risked my life with being so over weight for years then risked my life again to have the bypass so haveing an operation just for loose skin would have to be a very last resort and untill im near goal and stood in front of a mirror its not a thing i can rule out , as god knows how ill feel. But iv always said you can not die from loose skin so having the operation will make you more happy than the worry of exess skin x

I have lost 6 stone so far (just less than 2 to go) and I have awful hanging skin on my tummy. It is horrible.

I would like to think in the future I will have it removed, but for now I wear the magic underwear from Matalan and Primark. The matalan one is my favourite, it comes to just above the knee so stabilises flabby thighs, is great for minimising my huge backside, comes up to hold my tummy in, and then has booby bits and shoulder straps, as I find that just magic knickers tend to roll down.

I love it, and it gives me the confidence to wear clothes I otherwise wouldn't, fitted tops, tight skirts, it makes that roll of fat over my waste line just vanish.

Back