• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reason why I might be turned down for Bypass

PinkyButtonz

Does anyone know of any reason someone would be turn down for Gastric Bypass.

Who decides if you have Band or Bypass?

All depends if you meet yr PCT's criteria have you looked on the BOSPA site to see what yrs are? Where are you from?

u can decided what u want .. but Dr might tell you what he thinks is best ... if its on nhs .. they will do bands but most pref that you have bypass so theres no re funding if theres issue ..

but its basically down to your needs and diet and whats good for you on a personal level .. as we are all different

theres loads of reasons you could be turned down for funding ..

area that u live as its post code lotto.
medical needs.
bmi.
that you have exhausted every avenue possible.
that your in a fit mental state. ( alto they do get u help )
that u have been known as a yo yo diet

but if your going private most of that don't matter as u pay for what u want ..

make sure u have a good GP with good knowledge of this operation and read everything possible you can about it so u have a good knowledge of what you might like when your asked the questions.

it all sounds so scary and loads of info but rem its for life if you bypass and its for life or a longtime if you band.

so its best you go in to this knowing as much as possible.

good luck x

I'm 40yrs and from London. My Gp refered me and I have my first appointment on Tuesday and another one the following day.

where in london are you ??

hight ? bmi? any medical issues ??

Tottenham

I'm just over 5f 2in, last time I weighed myself I was 20st 4lb. I have Lupus, High blood pressure, diabetic, lower back problem. I'm on a lot of meds. My GP doesn't think I should have a problem, but I worrier.

that gives you a bmi of 51.9 so surgery should be the first line of defence,
good luck and dont worry. let us know how you get on
hc

that gives you a bmi of 51.9 so surgery should be the first line of defence,
good luck and dont worry. let us know how you get on
hc

Thanks I hope your right. I'll hopefully have good new next week :)

Hello there, I would sayu judging by all of that you would definitley qualify on paper, you're a little taller and a little heaver than me so your BMI must be approaching 50 along with the high blood pressure and other issues then it can only benefit you by having it done. Not sure about the other tests they do and what they decide from those results though as I am still in the early stages of the process at the moment but I'm sure you'll be fine and will get the treatment you require.

I'm from Leicestershire with a BMI of 40 and a family history of heart disease and stroke. They said they would consider it if I when I'm over BMI 50.

If going via NHS route, it really does depend on what criteria your local PCT require for you to qualify for funding.

My PCT accepts BMI of 40+ with no co-morbidities.

Hi i lived in south tottenham a year ago and am now out by wembley, i am also 5 ft 2" and initially weighted over 20 stone, your BMI will be just over 50 and the medical problems will all help towards you getting the RNY. Your GP would not have refered you if they did not think you were a good candidate for the bypass, however you will get a chance to discuss it in depth with the surgeon.

sound like an ideal candidate to me hun. good luck xx

I agree whats been said ...just a quick question do you have eating issues to do with paricular foods and you just graze on them as well as normal eating or are you like I "was" a volume eater who eats a big dinner along with big every other meal but didnt really graze?

Back