• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What if it doesn't work?

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
I know this is probably completely idiotic but i have this fear that i'm going to be that person who the gastric bypass doesn't work for.

Does anyone else pre-op feel like this or did any post oppers?

in a word

YES

and, even though I am well on my way, I still worry about it :(

I am sure others will feel the same - however, it does depend on what you do with it when you have had it done. It will stop you eating the amounts you did before, but there will be plenty of chances to still eat when you don't need food and ultimately even stretch the pouch.

It is very much a tool for you to use to your advantage :)

I was panicking like mad before my op and after posting on here I found out it's perfectly natural. But since having the op and finding out how little I can eat and seeing the weight come off it's totally helped me with my fears.

Thanks for the replies guys

I'm thinking maybe the fear will keep me on my toes ;)

The fear of dumping alon has kept me on the straight and narrow. !4 months on and 12 stone down in a size 8 from a 28 all my fears of it not working have more than vanished. But like the others have said its a tool and the most important thing is learning about yrself and why you eat along yr journey. that sorted it cant fail

I know this is probably completely idiotic but i have this fear that i'm going to be that person who the gastric bypass doesn't work for.

Does anyone else pre-op feel like this or did any post oppers?

I wake up every morning and have a feel just to make sure i've not regained 185lb during the night :eek: and i suppose if i'm honest i live with the fear that my re engineered body parts will stop working and i'll regain the weight.

I know this is just irrational thought as i've been re plumbed permanently now, every time i get that slightly painful tight restrictive feeling during a meal it makes me smile as it confirms my pouch is still working effectively.

So worry is of course part of this process, having been let down so many times by so called 'miracle diets' in the past i to was sceptical if it would work or not, my consultant told me that with a band it will do 40% of the work for you and you would have to do the other 60% to lose the weight, but with a bypass it would do 75% of the work for you leaving just 25% down to the paitent, bands fail and take a lot of messing around to get the correct level of fills etc etc and you still must diet and have self control over what you eat, the bypass is more forgiving and of course if you eat the wrong foods or to much food it will punish you :whoopass:

Thank you so much for these posts. I thought it was only me having these thooughts. All my life I have failed at weight control and sustaining the weight loss. Now a few weeks from gastric bypass I am scared it wont work!

Meeeeee!!!
(Pooks is waving her hand furiously)!!!

I was so convinced it wasn't going to work for me.

I have been overweight since I was about 5 years old, and just couldn't imagine EVER being slim.

But, just over 2 months post op, I'm coming up to a 4st loss, it's coming off really well.

Who'd have ever thought it!!!

xx

Thank you so much for these posts. I thought it was only me having these thooughts. All my life I have failed at weight control and sustaining the weight loss. Now a few weeks from gastric bypass I am scared it wont work!

It will work for you like everyone else before you has found, this is one of the reasons surgeons favour the bypass over banding as the results are quicker and more substantial in the heavier obesity catagories.

Thankyou so much for replying.... It's so reassuring to know that these fears are completely natural and that i'm not alone.

I honestly can't wait for my op and although i know it's going to be hard and i'll have to make a lot of changes, i'm more than ready for it :D

Heya Kat

Add me to the list of people who thought they would be the one it didnt work for. And here we are 3 and a half months later and aproaching 6 stone gone!

You will be fine :) Xx Take care

Hi,

My op's in just over a months time and I keep thinking it's not going to work or it will go wrong or the surgeon will cancel the op because ive put on more weight.

I suppose it's just nerves and worrying about nothing but it's a big deal to me I see it as my only chance and just hope and prey it all go's ok.

I think we have to hope and prey it will be ok for us all, if we stay postive then things will go ok.

Take Care

Paula XX

Oh wow swizzlestick 6 stone!! That is amazing , you must be stoked! ( i'm not an aussie but love that word :p )

Priesty, good luck with your op - not long to wait now.. this time in 6 months you probably won't recognise yourself :D

I really thought that I could possibly fail all throughout the process, that fear has become my friend and motivated me to exercise and avoid the junk food I love. My love affair with food has always been like that bad boyfriend who always promises to be good but ends up hurting you and you always go back for more. Now we are on a 'just friends' basis, me and my food :8855:.

You will soon see that you will not be in that tiny population of wls failure. But keep the fear as it keeps you honest. I so don't want to be that lady in 5 years who has gone back to her rotten boyfriend - the fear of failure makes sure I don't.

Nic:)

I don't want to sound negative as I know it is still early days for me, but I think my bypass is failing me.
Since my op 27/10/09 I have only lost 1st 7lb :mad:. I don't regret having it done, I just wish the weight loss was better. I've been to by the surgeon, bariatric dietician and nurse apart from not being as mobile (disabled) as some I'm not doing anything wrong.

xx

There is no doubt that you will lose weight, your new plumbing will see to that. You won't be able to eat the quantities that you could eat before. But beware!! I have met a couple of people who only managed to lose a portion of their excess weight. One woman lost 3 stone and no more has dropped off in 18 months, even though she still needs to lose about 6 stone. Her family said that she was cheating all the time, eating rubbish and snacking all day. If you don't work with your pouch then you will fail. This operation gives you a chance to start afresh but it's not a miracle cure. It has given me the opportunity to start like a little baby again. First fluids, then sloppies and then normal food. But you wouldn't give crisps to a little baby and that was where I nearly went wrong. I tried to carry on like I did before; mouthfuls too big, too much food, not chewing enough and I was having problems. I am now working with my pouch, meaning that I am only eating food that is good for me and ensuring that every meal is nutritious and I'm not trying to cheat myself. I don't know if this makes sense but I know what I mean!!

Oooooooooooooh and did I say, I am 13 stone something (OK it's 13st 13lbs but it's still 13 stone). First time I've been 13 something in 15 years!!!!!!!!!

Phatgirl, what a great analogy - i do see food as my enemy most of the time, you've really made me think that maybe i should stop battling all the time and find some middle ground...Keep my distance but remain civil lol.... Really interesting concept - thanks :D

Pinky, i'm sorry you're having difficulties - i expect with not being as mobile you're in a catch 22 situation of not being able to exercise and therefore not losing as much as others... Have you spoke to other long term losers on here , maybe they will have some good tips which will get the scales moving again? Obviously i'm no expert, but going by advise others have received sometimes it looks like it can really help.

Also, are you able to go swimming at all? You've probably already thought of it but i know lots of less mobile people can swim for england... Good luck though, i'm sure you will get there and maybe the slower it comes off the more it will stay off :)

Gillbean, really well done, i can't wait to get into the 13st somethings... I think on of the most valuable things i've learnt from this site is to make sure i listen to my body... That'll be a first (i can hear it screaming at me ) ;)

Back